It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 10 Things Big Media Don't Want You to Know
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:06 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

10 Things Big Media Doesn't Want You to Know

Learn about the barriers that have been constructed around the public airwaves.

By the Staff of Free Press

1. A HANDFUL OF COMPANIES DOMINATE

Five media conglomerates — Viacom, Disney, Time Warner, News Corp. and NBC/GE — control the big four networks (70% of the prime time television market share), most cable channels, as well as vast holdings in radio, publishing, movie studios, music, Internet, and other sectors.

2. BIG MEDIA USE THE PUBLIC’S AIRWAVES AT NO CHARGE

The total worth of the publicly owned airwaves that U.S. broadcasters utilize has been valued at $367 billion — more than many nations’ GDPs — but the public has never been paid a dime in return. And the broadcasters claim they can’t afford to be accountable to the public interest!

3. BIG MEDIA ARE A POWERFUL SPECIAL INTEREST IN WASHINGTON

Media companies intent upon changing the FCC media ownership rules have spent nearly $100 million on lobbying in the last four years. FCC officials have taken more than 2,500 industry-sponsored junkets since 1995, at a price tag of $2.8 million.

4. INDEPENDENT VOICES ARE FADING

Since 1975, two-thirds of independent newspaper owners have disappeared, and one-third of independent television owners have vanished. Only 281 of the nation’s 1,500 daily newspapers remain independently owned, and more than half of all U.S. markets are dominated by one paper.

5. CONSOLIDATION THREATENS MINORITY MEDIA OWNERSHIP

Minority ownership — a crucial source of diverse and varied viewpoints — is at a 10-year low, down 14% since 1997. Today, only 4% of radio stations and 1.9% of television stations are minority-owned.

6. CONSOLIDATION IS KILLING LOCAL RADIO

The number of radio station owners has plummeted by 34% since 1996, when ownership rules were gutted. That year, the largest radio owners controlled fewer than 65 stations; today, radio giant Clear Channel alone owns over 1,200.

7. CONSOLIDATION FOSTERS INFERIOR EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMMING

After Viacom purchased the independent KCAL in Los Angeles, children’s programming plunged 89%, dropping from 26 hours per week in 1998 to three hours in 2003 (the minimum requirement set by Congress). TV stations air programs like NFL Under the Helmet and Saved by the Bell, claiming they meet educational programming requirements.

8. THE FREE FLOW OF IDEAS AND INFORMATION IS BEING STYMIED

No copyrighted work created after 1922 has entered the public domain — an incubator for new ideas — due to corporate-sponsored legislation extending copyright terms. If laws being considered today had been in effect a few generations ago, you wouldn’t have access to products such as VCRs and copy machines.

9. CABLE RATES ARE SKYROCKETING

Cable companies lobbied for and won deregulation in 1996, arguing that it would lower prices. Since then, cable rates have been rising at three times the rate of inflation. On average, rates have risen by 50%; in New York City, they’ve risen by 93.7%.

10. BIG MEDIA PROFIT FROM A MONEY-DOMINATED CAMPAIGN FINANCE SYSTEM

In 2004, television stations earned more than $1.4 billion from political advertising — more than they earned from fast food and automotive ads. You were four times more likely to see a political ad during a TV news broadcast than an election-related news story.

http://www.campusprogress.org/features/ ... pe=printer

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:58 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Very True!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This needs to be bumped up.

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:47 am 

Quote:

Since 1975, two-thirds of independent newspaper owners have disappeared, and one-third of independent television owners have vanished. Only 281 of the nation’s 1,500 daily newspapers remain independently owned, and more than half of all U.S. markets are dominated by one paper.

This right here is probably the saddest to me. I don't know why, but I love to read a newspaper. I love opening it and spreading it out. All the little tidbits, especially small town papers like my own's. But, even our local paper has now been bought and conglomerated. This is a paper that has been here for over 100 years. In Starkville (where I live), there is only one paper. Unless you count the ridiculous paper put out by the university (it is truly a pathetic joke of a newsource). A town only about 20 miles away has 2 papers. The smaller one is call the "Packet" and it is one of the most awesome independent newsources. The owner doesn't really do anything beyond local stories. But you learn more about what is going on in our government from him than you ever would from our local papers, or tv stations.

I had to give this topic a bump. Come on guys, this is a fascinating story. Does anyone have more than one paper in their town? Is your paper still locally owned? Do you have a public station around?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:34 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Quote:
The number of radio station owners has plummeted by 34% since 1996, when ownership rules were gutted. That year, the largest radio owners controlled fewer than 65 stations; today, radio giant Clear Channel alone owns over 1,200.

Clear Channel has it's hands in much more then that. They operate concerts, bill boards etc.. They buy radio stations all over the country, then close them down to give the CC radio stations in the same area a bigger market.

Sean Hannity, Rush, Laura Ingram(sp) are all on Clear Channel stations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:07 pm 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

the net result is a state run news agency, to go along with our officially sanctioned stae approved history since 2001.
more sovietization of amerika.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

My town has two newspapers. One comes in my mailbox every Wednesday. The other town in my county has one, and the neighboring county, which is the smallest county in the state, has one. They're published by Community Newspapers, Inc, out of Athens, GA.

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:03 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Corporatocracy rules and is the way that capitalism was intended to develop. The control of social order is the control of culture. Media seems to be the perfect medium to incorporate in the business of information dissemination to propagandize the masses. An obedient government for their masters, Corporatelites, the rulers of America today.

http://www.commondreams.org/views03/0101-07.htm

An excerpt-
Quote:
Corporations are created by humans to further the goal of making money. As Buckminster Fuller said in his brilliant essay The Grunch of Giants, "Corporations are neither physical nor metaphysical phenomena. They are socioeconomic ploys - legally enacted game-playing..."

Corporations are non-living, non-breathing, legal fictions. They feel no pain. They don't need clean water to drink, fresh air to breathe, or healthy food to consume. They can live forever. They can't be put in prison. They can change their identity or appearance in a day, change their citizenship in an hour, rip off parts of themselves and create entirely new entities. Some have compared corporations with robots, in that they are human creations that can outlive individual humans, performing their assigned tasks forever.

....[snip]....Jefferson and Madison proposed an 11th Amendment to the Constitution that would "ban monopolies in commerce," making it illegal for corporations to own other corporations, banning them from giving money to politicians or trying to influence elections in any way, restricting corporations to a single business purpose, limiting the lifetime of a corporation to something roughly similar to that of productive humans (20 to 40 years back then), and requiring that the first purpose for which all corporations were created be "to serve the public good."

The amendment didn't pass because many argued it was unnecessary: Virtually all states already had such laws on the books from the founding of this nation until the Age of the Robber Barons.

Wisconsin, for example, had a law that stated: "No corporation doing business in this state shall pay or contribute, or offer consent or agree to pay or contribute, directly or indirectly, any money, property, free service of its officers or employees or thing of value to any political party, organization, committee or individual for any political purpose whatsoever, or for the purpose of influencing legislation of any kind, or to promote or defeat the candidacy of any person for nomination, appointment or election to any political office." The penalty for any corporate official violating that law and getting cozy with politicians on behalf of a corporation was five years in prison and a substantial fine.

Like Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics, these laws prevented corporations from harming humans, while still allowing people to create their robots (corporations) and use them to make money. Everybody won. Prior to 1886, corporations were referred to in US law as "artificial persons," similar to the way Star Trek portrays the human-looking robot named Data.

But after the Civil War, things began to change. In the last year of the war, on November 21, 1864, President Abraham Lincoln looked back on the growing power of the war-enriched corporations, and wrote the following thoughtful letter to his friend Colonel William F. Elkins:

"We may congratulate ourselves that this cruel war is nearing its end. It has cost a vast amount of treasure and blood. The best blood of the flower of American youth has been freely offered upon our country's altar that the nation might live. It has indeed been a trying hour for the Republic; but I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country.

"As a result of the war, corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed. I feel at this moment more anxiety than ever before, even in the midst of war. God grant that my suspicions may prove groundless."
......[snip]......Prior to 1886, the Bill of Rights and the 14th Amendment defined human rights, and individuals - representing themselves and their own opinions - were free to say and do what they wanted. Corporations, being artificial creations of the states, didn't have rights, but instead had privileges. The state in which a corporation was incorporated determined those privileges and how they could be used. And the same, of course, was true for other forms of "legally enacted game playing" such as unions, churches, unincorporated businesses, partnerships, and even governments, all of which have only privileges.

But with the stroke of his pen, Court Reporter Davis moved corporations out of that "privileges" category - leaving behind all the others (unions, governments, and small unincorporated businesses still don't have "rights") - and moved them into the "rights" category with humans, citing the 14th Amendment which was passed at the end of the Civil War to grant the human right of equal protection under the law to newly-freed slaves.

On December 3, 1888, President Grover Cleveland delivered his annual address to Congress. Apparently the President had taken notice of the Santa Clara County Supreme Court headnote, its politics, and its consequences, for he said in his speech to the nation, delivered before a joint session of Congress: "As we view the achievements of aggregated capital, we discover the existence of trusts, combinations, and monopolies, while the citizen is struggling far in the rear or is trampled to death beneath an iron heel. Corporations, which should be the carefully restrained creatures of the law and the servants of the people, are fast becoming the people's masters."
Thom Hartmann is the author of "Unequal Protection: The Rise of Corporate Dominance and the Theft of Human Rights." www.unequalprotection.com This article is copyright by Thom Hartmann, but permission is granted for reprint in print, email, or web media so long as this credit is attached.

The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates. – Tacitus

[On ancient Athens]: In the end, more than freedom, they wanted security. They wanted a comfortable life, and they lost it all – security, comfort, and freedom. When the Athenians finally wanted not to give to society but for society to give to them, when the freedom they wished for most was freedom from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free and was never free again. – Edward Gibbon

The United States is a nation of laws, badly written and randomly enforced. – Frank Zappa

I'm the Slime
I am gross and perverted
I'm obsessed 'n deranged
I have existed for years
But very little has changed
I'm the tool of the Government
And industry too
For I am destined to rule
And regulate you

I may be vile and pernicious
But you can't look away
I make you think I'm delicious
With the stuff that I say
I'm the best you can get
Have you guessed me yet?
I'm the slime oozin' out
From your TV set

You will obey me while I lead you
And eat the garbage that I feed you
Until the day that we don't need you
Don't go for help . . . no one will heed you
Your mind is totally controlled
It has been stuffed into my mold
And you will do as you are told
Until the rights to you are sold

That's right, folks . . .
Don't touch that dial

Well, I am the slime from your video
Oozin' along on your livin' room floor

I am the slime from your video
Can't stop the slime, people, lookit me go

Oozin' along on your livin' room floor

Can't stop the slime, people, lookit me go

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:00 am 

ahhhh yes, just another cog in the developing wheel of true facism in the good ole usa.

there are some key provisions in the patriot act that will control all media.

the truth will be dead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:39 am 
Hear Me Roar!

lefty wrote:
Quote:

This right here is probably the saddest to me. I don't know why, but I love to read a newspaper. I love opening it and spreading it out. All the little tidbits, especially small town papers like my own's. But, even our local paper has now been bought and conglomerated. This is a paper that has been here for over 100 years. In Starkville (where I live), there is only one paper. Unless you count the ridiculous paper put out by the university (it is truly a pathetic joke of a newsource). A town only about 20 miles away has 2 papers. The smaller one is call the "Packet" and it is one of the most awesome independent newsources. The owner doesn't really do anything beyond local stories. But you learn more about what is going on in our government from him than you ever would from our local papers, or tv stations.

I had to give this topic a bump. Come on guys, this is a fascinating story. Does anyone have more than one paper in their town? Is your paper still locally owned? Do you have a public station around?

Lefty,

Yeah, I like the feel of a newspaper as well. But, some I do not like the feel of. Like the National Post, for example, which is owned by CanWest Global. See their holdings here:

http://www.cjr.org/tools/owners/canwest.asp

They own both the Sun and the Province newspapers in my market here, Vancouver and the Lower Mainland. They also own a string of local papers which are distributed free to homeowners. I like reading these free newspapers and I look forward to their delivery. I like the ads and sometimes the political and local stories that they carry.

The National Post newspaper which I mention above was a big promoter of the Iraq War. I quickly cancelled my subscription to this paper when it became evident to me that they were mere propagandizers for this misadventure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Washington Times is a newspaper that is owned by the Rev. Moon! (Remember the Moonies?) Moon is vile....

Bad Moon on the Rise

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:21 pm 

I'm a little confused to the format of this site/forum......hmmmmm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:24 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Catherine wrote:
The Washington Times is a newspaper that is owned by the Rev. Moon! (Remember the Moonies?) Moon is vile....

Bad Moon on the Rise

his goal, and that of his followers, is to take control of america. it's not the muslims who want us to be converted, it's the moon gang. they have openly stated this numerous times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
I'm a little confused to the format of this site/forum......hmmmmm

If you're confused about the forums and/or their format, ask a question and maybe we'll be able to help you.

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman