It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FEMA's Latest Scandal
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:10 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

After Hurricane Katrina, the Federal Emergency Management Agency bought $85 million worth of basic personal and household goods for the storm's victims. For at least two years, FEMA warehoused it all - towels, shirts, pants, shoes, coffee makers, pillowcases, dinnerware, plastic food containers, cleaning supplies, etc. - at a cost to taxpayers of an additional $2 million-plus.

Throughout that period, nonprofit relief agencies in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama made repeated public pleas for donations of those sorts of items. ... But FEMA kept all its stuff under lock and key because "we were not notified that there was a great need for this particular property," a spokeswoman told CNN.

Thousands of Gulf Coast residents still could use some or all of those items. ... Mercifully, FEMA came to its senses and gave all the goods to people in need, and everyone lived happily ever after.

Just kidding; with a stroke of a pen, FEMA officials declared the $85 million in goods government surplus and distributed it to federal agencies and governments in 16 states, which gave the stuff away to bureaucrats, college professors and prisoners, among others.

FEMA officials expressed surprise and outrage after nearly three years of rank incompetence and untold billions in waste and fraud - they have that act down cold and promised a full investigation, meaning they will wait until the scandal disappears from the headlines before throwing some low-level bureaucrat under the bus.

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/164037-FEMA-s-Latest-Scandal

The greatest deception they have perpetrated is that we need them. Our greatest mistake is that we believe them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:55 pm 

I view this more as a continuing abuse than a new one. Even though it hasn't got the attention of other impeachment articles, one of Kucinich's articles specifically charges Bush with abuse in the Katrina situation. Why would anyone in the war cabal care to correct their actions when the body (Congress) charged with oversight by the Constitution does nothing?

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:19 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I tend to agree with you. This is a continuing abuse.

The greatest deception they have perpetrated is that we need them. Our greatest mistake is that we believe them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

AND Congress is complicit. Americans should start a class action lawsuit against the House of Reps for not upholding their Oaths of Office, and the first members named in the suit should be Nancy Pelosi and John Conyers. :evil:

I'm sure there are legal terms for what I'm saying, but I'm not an attorney. :P

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman