It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Home Decorating With the Obamas
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:26 am 

Quote:
At a time when people are having trouble holding on to their houses, Barack and Michelle Obama have sensibly decided not to use taxpayers’ money to renovate theirs. New presidents are allotted $100,000 to overhaul the White House residence and the Oval Office, and the Obamas hired Hollywood decorator Michael S. Smith (known, per his site, for mixing “Old World classicism with very contemporary settings”). But the First Couple isn’t spending that money. They “are not using public funds or accepting donations of goods for redecorating their private quarters,” says Camille Johnston, director of communications for the First Lady. Nor is the couple, who reported $4.2 million in household income in 2007 tax returns, using money from the White House Historical Association, a privately funded foundation that paid for a $74,000 set of china shortly before Laura Bush left town.

But does this mean they’re going to spend more than $100,000 or less? Though Michelle Obama has talked up Pottery Barn, Smith’s client list includes cost-is-no-object types like Rupert Murdoch, Steven Spielberg, and former Merrill Lynch CEO John Thain—for whom he procured that $87,783 rug. “There’s no question that he’ll get it done in the way that it’s supposed to be done,” says Smith client and Democratic donor Katherine Chez. “But how, I don’t know.” The White House declined to disclose the budget, saying that all expenses would remain private as a result of the Obamas’ decision to absorb the cost.

Its the whole article, but it was so short, I couldn't figure how to trim it down.

http://nymag.com/news/intelligencer/55679/

Post subject: Re: Home Decorating With the Obamas
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think it's a lovely idea. I hope when it's done Michelle will at least give us some idea of what was accomplished. :D

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: Home Decorating With the Obamas
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:50 pm 

They could at the very least release the figures for the cost of the fumigation to rid the place of the stench left by the former occupants. :wink:

When it is all done, she could do a Jackie and give a guided tour during a TV special.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote