It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TEACHER LEARNS TOUGH LESSON IN DEBT SETTLEMENT
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm sure you've seen the commercials on TV made by debt settlement companies. I have...with people saying they got this debt or that debt settled for "pennies on the dollar." Take a close look at the link below, and think long and hard before you even consider believing their sales talk if you're in trouble financially.

FOR TEACHER, A TOUGH LESSON IN DEBT SETTLEMENT

Quote:
CHICAGO -- Gary Kopycinski teaches religion and ethics in a suburban Chicago Catholic high school, but his effort to practice what he preaches made him the perfect target for a debt settlement company.

Three years ago, Kopycinski was told by several advisers that he should file for bankruptcy. His finances were a wreck. He held $35,000 in credit card debt and was on the hook for a car loan that he'd co-signed for a family member. On his salary as Catholic high school teacher, it seemed there was no other way but to wave a white flag. But Kopycinski believed that bankruptcy "was a cop-out," so he went searching for an alternative. When he heard an advertisement for Debt Settlement USA, he thought he'd found it. Instead, he had hooked his fortunes to an industry that the attorney general of Illinois, Lisa Madigan, calls "a scam
."

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: TEACHER LEARNS TOUGH LESSON IN DEBT SETTLEMENT
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:25 am 

Ya, I worked for a credit card company right after I got out of college (I got fired because I wouldn't bully people-by the way) and I learned then that these "debt settlement" companies are bs. Consumer Credit Counseling is real though, they do help (at least they did back then) and they really don't charge you for their services.

Thankfully, I don't have credit card debt, my husband has a little but we are nearly done paying that off. Now student loans... I'll have those for the rest of my life, I'm sure. Oh well, you live and you learn. Funny that its my degree that keeps me from getting a job these days.