It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: JFK'S PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:10 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

JFK'S PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN

Rare and unseen photographs from the LIFE magazine archives. One of the photographs shows JFK sitting down on the ground with a bunch of miners in West Virginia.

I have just bought a book about the White House state dinners that were so much a part of the Kennedy administration. It makes fascinating reading, particularly the dinner held at Mount Vernon under a large tent.

Quote:
On July 11, 1961, the president of the United States gave a state dinner in honour of the president of Pakistan. It was no ordinary state dinner. The venue was Mount Vernon, the storied plantation of George Washington on the Potomac River. The guests were ferried from Washington in four boats, each with a trio of musicians, and greeted with mint juleps in silver stirrup cups. The Continental Fife and Drum Corps performed military drills; later, the National Symphony Orchestra played Mozart and Gershwin.

The dinner was the most memorable hosted by John Fitzgerald Kennedy and his wife, Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy. The point was to impress the Pakistanis. The real impression, though, was made on the American public, which was dazzled by this youthful couple who represented vigour and style after eight years of the somnolence of Dwight David Eisenhower
http://peacecorpsonline.org/messages/me ... 22109.html

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: I went to a speech by JFK
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:54 am 

Even though I was only six years old and living in Arizona, I was able to see JFK on his one campaign stop in the state during the general election. This was Barry Goldwater country and JFK had no chance of winning the state. I was able to convince my father to take me to the airport to see him deliver a speech at about 2AM. He exited the plane down the stairs and delivered his stump speech from a podium set up on the tarmac. There were probably 500 people there. We had Styrofoam hats much like the ones in this photo except they featured PT109, JFK's boat from WWII.

Hats we had at airport campaign stop.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject: Re: JFK'S PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:18 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

NEWLY RELEASED PHOTOS OF JFK

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I love that photo of the girls holding those hats...they look so wistful and young. I wonder if they
were even old enough to vote. I also wonder who they were and if they are alive today. :?:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:47 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Oh my goodness yes, those girls with those hats. How much more innocent can you get, with these photos!! This one's better than all the, "girlie fans of the Beatles," combined!! :D

God, I miss that era!! :(

Thanks for the share!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
God, I miss that era!!

You and me, too, Greg!

Somewhere there's a Kennedy campaign series of photos which show the same "smiling blond" woman. She's in a huge crowd but it's easy to make her out. :mrgreen:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:29 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Catherine wrote:
I love that photo of the girls holding those hats...they look so wistful and young. I wonder if they
were even old enough to vote. I also wonder who they were and if they are alive today. :?:

I officially placed that photo on my monitor's desktop yesterday. Every time I "fire up" my computer, I have a big "shit eatin'" grin on my face. It has to be one of the cutest photos I have ever seen. It's also in my sig now, as well.

(I already p.m.'d Dori for permission. Hope it's o.k!!)

I guess one of the things that attracted me to it, was how those two girls are holding on to those two cop's arms/hands. The picture shows no evidence of unrest whatsoever and on the contrary, I have this genuine feeling, that these cops may have sons/daughters around their age as well.

Yeah, I kinda wondered that myself Catherine. I dunno, 68-70 years old by now, (tops) if they're still alive. Who knows, if they purchased a few Jack Lalanne videos, we may see them on "dancing with the stars," soon. Couldn't be worse than Palin's daughter!!

If a picture could paint a thousand words huh!! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ANOTHER LINK IS GONE

BETHESDA, Md. — Bound by marriage to the nation's most powerful political family, R. Sargent Shriver showed his commitment to service not through high office but with achievements no less historic: first director of the Peace Corps and leader of the war on poverty.

One of the last links to President John F. Kennedy's administration, Shriver, who announced in 2003 that he had Alzheimer's disease, died Tuesday after being hospitalized for several days in his native Maryland. He was 95.

:cry:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:37 pm 

I attended a political rally at Regis University in 1972 as a McGovern campaign volunteer. Sergeant Shriver was the principle speaker being the VP candidate at the time. He was a terrific speaker. His wife, Eunice, is a sister to JFK, RFK and Teddy.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I envy you that opportunity to get to see Sargent Shriver, APL.....the "old" Kennedys and the "old" connections with them are disappearing fast, much to my sorrow. Eunice Kennedy Shriver died in 2009. That family, along with the Roosevelts, were so different from the rich families of today. :(

And today markes the 50th anniversary of JFK's Inauguration...hard to believe!

John F. Kennedy's Only Inaugural Address: 50th Anniversary (PHOTOS)

On January 20, 1961 -- exactly 50 years ago today -- John F. Kennedy gave his one and only Inaugural Address (which you can watch in full). Widely considered to be the greatest Presidential Inauguration speech, JFK's address lasted only a little over 13 minutes and in it he coined the line: "Ask not what your country can do for you -- ask what you can do for your country."

MORE AT THE LINK

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:13 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Catherine wrote:
I envy you that opportunity to get to see Sargent Shriver, APL.....the "old" Kennedys and the "old" connections with them are disappearing fast, much to my sorrow. Eunice Kennedy Shriver died in 2009. That family, along with the Roosevelts, were so different from the rich families of today. :(

And today markes the 50th anniversary of JFK's Inauguration...hard to believe!

John F. Kennedy's Only Inaugural Address: 50th Anniversary (PHOTOS)

On January 20, 1961 -- exactly 50 years ago today -- John F. Kennedy gave his one and only Inaugural Address (which you can watch in full). Widely considered to be the greatest Presidential Inauguration speech, JFK's address lasted only a little over 13 minutes and in it he coined the line: "Ask not what your country can do for you -- ask what you can do for your country."

MORE AT THE LINK

I never forgot to thank you for this Catherine. God, I've been finding myself lately, going back through the political archives of some of these politicians. (here and elsewhere)

I think it's so neat, when I watch a You Tube video, of some of these politicians in the past. Then, you see the faces of these people in the crowd. You see a kind of hope, you just don't see today. I think why the Kennedys, the Kucinichs, the Kings and Cornell Wests appeal to me, is not only can they see the American Dream for everyone, but they have the uncanny way, of allowing the people to mold that personalized dream for themselves, and no one else. I mean it's one thing to keep a nation hopeful, it's another, when you allow EVERYONE, to chase it in a way, that brings them utter JOY!! This, in my opinion, is an end result of simply allowing the American people to think for themselves!!

...A TRUE LEADER!!

The Wright brothers, Thomas Edison, Alexander Graham Bell. I gotta laugh, because I imagine after their minor "stumbling blocks" along the way to their achievements, all their critics, probably got together with them later that night, and got drunk with them, laughing their ass off, all along the way!! Then, the next day after their hangover wore off, they were back at it again. :D :bounce: :D
Today, the media places your face next to Jeffrey Dahmer's, if someone has a drug addiction problem. (and possibly is showing signs of hitting rock bottom) :cry: :evil: :evil: :cry:

My American dream for the media today, is instead of trying to catch someone doing something they probably do themselves, but to do something else, that would give this country hope, make this country smile and say, you know, "you're a lot like me."

...like zooming in on a smiling face, as they send 11 people running out of the elevator, because their "long awaited fart," has finally arrived!! Sorry, but I never felt guilty, when I made it a profession, back in my "mandatory church days" at Catholic School.

Besides, is that any worse, than our politicians sleeping with minors or God forbid, not using a condom when they cheat on their wives? (C'mon...I saw that evil little grin!! Wanna tell me a fart story?) :lol: :oops: :oops: :lol:

I never liked the smell of incense anyway. It always reminded me of being at a funeral home. :cry: :cry: :cry:

As long as "Our Patriot Act," :roll: :roll: :roll: allows us to at least think of it, it may at least keep some of us sane.

After all, does this require any more "mental horsepower," than our elected cowards, who passed this kind of "legislative bullshit" to begin with?

I love Empowerment!! It breaks me free from fear, so I can fart at the next "Benny Hinn Jesus Revival!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

OH LLLLLOOOOORRRRRRRDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Can I get a !@!%$#%^*%*& WITNESS??? :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I love the 50's, I'm still young enough to laugh till I fart, but old enough now, to get away with it!! :D :bounce: :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was talking with a fellow at my art class yesterday about the Wisonsin protests. He's from Michigan and spent his career in engineering and is a very sensible man. He laughed and said that the businesses which took their jobs oversears better brace themselves. Since China has now the number one rated economy, it won't be too much longer before the Chinese workers start to want to organize into unions and make sure they have better pay, more benefits, better working hours and conditions, etc...the same things that the unions did for American workers long ago. While big business have been screwing the overseas people for years just like they did Americans for years..it won't last forever. A people can only be suppressed for so long, and as they have life-style improvements, their dreams grow and grow and grow...take a lesson from what's been going on all over the Middle East...watch and learn, o big business man and corporation. Your day will come....again. :twisted: :bounce:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:47 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Catherine wrote:
I was talking with a fellow at my art class yesterday about the Wisonsin protests. He's from Michigan and spent his career in engineering and is a very sensible man. He laughed and said that the businesses which took their jobs oversears better brace themselves. Since China has now the number one rated economy, it won't be too much longer before the Chinese workers start to want to organize into unions and make sure they have better pay, more benefits, better working hours and conditions, etc...the same things that the unions did for American workers long ago. While big business have been screwing the overseas people for years just like they did Americans for years..it won't last forever. A people can only be suppressed for so long, and as they have life-style improvements, their dreams grow and grow and grow...take a lesson from what's been going on all over the Middle East...watch and learn, o big business man and corporation. Your day will come....again. :twisted: :bounce:

Yeah...I just posted a piece on this earlier today somewhere!! (God, I'm such a ham at times) Anyway, it was from the Burning Platform. Probably still there I imagine.

What strikes me a little funny, is the government shutdown, sticking it's head around the corner. I'd be a godsend in my opinion. Shit, how long's it been, since we've seen Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Exxon Mobile or GE, stop sticking it up the rear ends of the American people. (Yeah...take a break, get the F out of here)

The rest well, they're simply adjourned anyway. Drinking and crying, and wondering where the 16th green is.

God, I love living in such a Progressive country!! :)

Patriotism never felt so good huh!! :roll: