It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:20 pm 
Offline
Hear Me Roar!

Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:06 am
Posts: 289
Location: los angeles
Quote:
Q: Why is it important to study the history of slavery?


A: I don't think you can understand race relations today without understanding slavery. And until we come to grips with it, until we understand people's prejudices, their origins, we really can't even begin to work on getting rid of them and working together as a people. Even though people will say, "Well, I didn't do it," and white people will say, "I didn't do it. My father didn't do it. Even my grandparents, they didn't do it." One of the things that's essential is to know that slavery is not just a southern institution. It's an American institution. And it was an institution that everyone bought into. The North bought into it. The South bought into it. It was cotton that made this country king in 1850 and 1860. It was cotton that fueled the early Industrial Revolution in this country, particularly in New England. So without understanding the past, we really can't understand the future. We can't understand why people have the prejudices they have, how black people and white people came to be at opposite ends on certain issues, like civil rights, human rights.

Deborah Gray White
Professor of History
Rutgers University


http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part4/4i3086.html

_________________
Leviticus 24:20
fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth. As he has injured the other, so he is to be injured.

Accept Your Own and Be Yourself ~ Master Fard Muhammad


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:29 pm 
Offline
Hear Me Roar!

Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:06 am
Posts: 289
Location: los angeles
Catherine wrote:
You may be right, derrion, but since we can't alter that aspect of our historical information, I'd like to read what your considered opinion is on this topic.


At this time I won't form an opinionated answer. I will comtemplate the question and give the best answer I can, but I will say the same thing that inspired these people:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part4/4p1537.html

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part4/4p1539.html

_________________
Leviticus 24:20
fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth. As he has injured the other, so he is to be injured.

Accept Your Own and Be Yourself ~ Master Fard Muhammad


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:31 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 11:46 pm
Posts: 14444
Location: NC
Fair enough...no rush, either.

Catherine

_________________
Image

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:47 pm 
Offline
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:49 am
Posts: 838
Location: Florida
derrion wrote:
Yes we can. Nations trade with other nations, however, that does not mean we have to live with each other to do so.
What we have is the one nation trying to impose its will of what it says is right on another... with out the others agreement. That is where the problem begins.
If you want to be one way so be it. My nation may have an abundance of coal that your nation may need for its energy use. That dosen't mean that we must adopt your nations social ways and customs for us to trade in a civilized fashion.
Even if the nation that you are dealing with is a little less skilled in the art of weaponry, that doesn't mean a nation just goes and runs roughshod over another.


So where do we begin? Who decides who leaves and to where? What about the black or white people who don't want to leave or live seperately? Who gets to make the rules?

_________________
"I may detest what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Voltaire


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:21 pm 
Offline
SuperMember!
SuperMember!
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 9:12 am
Posts: 1955
Location: upstate new york.
Quote:
So where do we begin? Who decides who leaves and to where? What about the black or white people who don't want to leave or live seperately? Who gets to make the rules?


apparently, according to darrion, he's made the rules for them already. i have quite a few black friends and never..never has race, slavery, or anything remotely close to that ever come up as a topic. would i want to lose their friendship? nope. good people...all of them.

however, it appears that some blacks obviously have a plan mapped out in advance for all the others who are just living like everyone else. perhaps this is what some people don't like to see: races getting along?

i've never held anyone accountable because of their race, but always because of their character.

_________________
land of the living dead


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:58 pm 
Offline
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:49 am
Posts: 838
Location: Florida
Isn't the US suppose to be the place where ALL RACES COME TOGETHER? If you want segregation, go someplace else. And take Bush with you!

_________________
"I may detest what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Voltaire


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:00 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:03 am
Posts: 1469
Location: Bible Belt, MS
Derrion, I am guessing (and this is only my guess) that you have been hurt in some fashion or another personally by someone who is "white". I am sorry for that because I hate for anyone to be hurt. However, I don't think your personal experience is reason enough to justify what you are asking for. My family is comprised of myself, my mate--whom is a black man--, and my son. Would you say that because we are an "interracial" couple, that he should leave us? As far as I can tell, am considering that this is an incredibly personal situation, we (white and black) get along very well. In fact, he is perhaps the kindest person I've ever known. That has nothing whatsoever to do with his being black, or my being white. We happen to see each other as people. I'm afraid that somewhere along the line, you have become incapable of doing that. I also fear that in your desire and need to cut yourself off from whatever pain you have experienced, you are also undeservedly writing off a whole world of people just because their skin tone doesn't match your own. That is a sad shame; Given that you are probably writing off many people unjustly.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:39 pm 
mga wrote:
Quote:
So where do we begin? Who decides who leaves and to where? What about the black or white people who don't want to leave or live seperately? Who gets to make the rules?


apparently, according to darrion, he's made the rules for them already. i have quite a few black friends and never..never has race, slavery, or anything remotely close to that ever come up as a topic. would i want to lose their friendship? nope. good people...all of them.

however, it appears that some blacks obviously have a plan mapped out in advance for all the others who are just living like everyone else. perhaps this is what some people don't like to see: races getting along?

i've never held anyone accountable because of their race, but always because of their character.


"mga" you just cannot stop being your charming self.

Apparantly? No sir. I follow a plan that is already been laid out.

I doubt if you looked at the video with Elijah Muhammad and Irv Kupcinet, but it pretty well elaborates on the issue.

I will just write this if some black people do not want to separate, they have that right. I would not force anyone to do against his or her will.
I am like Noah. When you don't want to do a thing after you have had fair warning then I shall leave you be.

Your "black friends" may have not considered this a topic as it was when chattel slavery ended MOST black did not want to leave "massa", so I understand that completely and that bothers me not.

Oh, I love peace. Peace of mind and contentment. I would love to see all the peoples on the planet get along, however, in the way that it is trying to be done it will not work.

The slave can never be equal with his master. There will always be a conflict. This centuries old problem must be solved and it cannot be solved with this "melting pot" theory. That is why it is called a theory.

And to talk about getting along, black people here in America have been the one that has been subjected to inhuman treatment by white people. So who is at fault for failing to get along?

And out of all honesty and "fair play" let derrion answer a question when it is asked of him. I would do the same for you.

Derrion-
Please make sure you are logged in when making a post or reply, any further "guest" postings that are obviously from you will be deleted.
A Proud Liberal
Moderator


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:46 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 11:46 pm
Posts: 14444
Location: NC
GUEST...please register at TVNL under a username.

Thanks...

Catherine

_________________
Image

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:48 am 
Offline
Hear Me Roar!

Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:06 am
Posts: 289
Location: los angeles
jobot wrote:
Isn't the US suppose to be the place where ALL RACES COME TOGETHER? If you want segregation, go someplace else. And take Bush with you!


Segregation was first introduced in this country by white people against all others:

http://booksandotherstuff.com/images/Ar ... gsEtAl.jpg

So why does anyone have to go someplace else?

_________________
Leviticus 24:20
fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth. As he has injured the other, so he is to be injured.

Accept Your Own and Be Yourself ~ Master Fard Muhammad


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:49 am 
Offline
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:49 am
Posts: 838
Location: Florida
derrion wrote:
So why does anyone have to go someplace else?


You're the one who suggested it...remember?...Black and whites living completely seperately...?

_________________
"I may detest what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Voltaire


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:01 am 
Offline
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:49 am
Posts: 838
Location: Florida
There still is a lot of racism in this country, but the only way to get past that is to prove to people that inequality and seperation are not options. I hope that once we get rid of our racist president, things will get better.

_________________
"I may detest what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Voltaire


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:05 am 
Offline
Hear Me Roar!

Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:06 am
Posts: 289
Location: los angeles
lefty wrote:
Derrion, I am guessing (and this is only my guess) that you have been hurt in some fashion or another personally by someone who is "white". I am sorry for that because I hate for anyone to be hurt. However, I don't think your personal experience is reason enough to justify what you are asking for. My family is comprised of myself, my mate--whom is a black man--, and my son. Would you say that because we are an "interracial" couple, that he should leave us? As far as I can tell, am considering that this is an incredibly personal situation, we (white and black) get along very well. In fact, he is perhaps the kindest person I've ever known. That has nothing whatsoever to do with his being black, or my being white. We happen to see each other as people. I'm afraid that somewhere along the line, you have become incapable of doing that. I also fear that in your desire and need to cut yourself off from whatever pain you have experienced, you are also undeservedly writing off a whole world of people just because their skin tone doesn't match your own. That is a sad shame; Given that you are probably writing off many people unjustly.


Everybody is held responsible for their own decisions.

In todays society "interracial" marriage is tolerated. Yesterday there would be no such thing allowed openly. In fact intermarriage is tolerated worldwide, but nowhere in the world do people really approve of marrying outside of their "race" Look at China. Look at Japan. Look at all of the nations of the world and you will see the whole of the world staying with their own. Let a black man go to Ireland and seek a bride and see what happens. Let a Korean man go to India and seek a bride and see what happens. Usually these intermarriages happen outside of the country of origin.

And like I wrote this is now permitted or tolerated in America. How many black men have been killed for just looking at a white woman. And I am willing to wager that someone in your immediate family is not at all satisfied about you and your husbands union.

And where do you read I am doing anything unjust. I am writing that separation is the best answer for the problems that we see confronting this centuries old problem. The answer that it will work out has not proven true and will not be true.

Remember the original settelers of the country separated from England. So I ask what is the problem if some black people want to leave.

_________________
Leviticus 24:20
fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth. As he has injured the other, so he is to be injured.

Accept Your Own and Be Yourself ~ Master Fard Muhammad


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:11 am 
Offline
Hear Me Roar!

Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:06 am
Posts: 289
Location: los angeles
jobot wrote:
derrion wrote:
So why does anyone have to go someplace else?


You're the one who suggested it...remember?...Black and whites living completely seperately...?


My answer was to you concerning segregation. Which was forced, and that is bad. I am plainly supporting voluntarily separation. Why? Because as long as black poeple remain in this country under white people they will be considered the fools of the world.

And really black people don't have to go anywhere, since our forced slave labor is what help make this country strong. America should just give us (those who want to separate) 3 or 4 of these United States.

_________________
Leviticus 24:20
fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth. As he has injured the other, so he is to be injured.

Accept Your Own and Be Yourself ~ Master Fard Muhammad


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:16 am 
Offline
Hear Me Roar!

Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:06 am
Posts: 289
Location: los angeles
jobot wrote:
There still is a lot of racism in this country, but the only way to get past that is to prove to people that inequality and seperation are not options. I hope that once we get rid of our racist president, things will get better.


This country was built on race hatred of others. This president now does not matter to the extent of the policies of the whole. Presidents don't matter, not in this issue.

Keep living and watching there will be no other option but separation. Everything will return to its own. Better yet, everything MUST go to its own.

Quote:
We, once slaves, have grown to be a nation of twenty million or more in a nation that enslaved our fathers and to this day has deprived us of equal justice under their own laws. No equal civil rights -- most of us are treated by white citizens of America as animals. It is common to see and hear of white mobs attacking, beating, and shooting down poor blacks whose fathers' and mothers' labor, sweat and blood helped make America the richest government on earth; nevertheless, we are yet the most hated and mistreated people. ~ Elijah Muhammad

_________________
Leviticus 24:20
fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth. As he has injured the other, so he is to be injured.

Accept Your Own and Be Yourself ~ Master Fard Muhammad


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Blue Moon by Trent © 2007
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group