It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: October 13, 1307......Hundreds of Knights Templar Arrested
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:22 am 

October 13, 1307 - Hundreds of Knights Templar in France are simultaneously arrested by agents of Phillip the Fair, to be later tortured into "admitting" heresy.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_IV_of_France

Quote:
On October 13, 1307, hundreds of Knights Templar in France were simultaneously arrested by agents of Philip the Fair, to be later tortured into admitting heresy in the Order. The Knights Templar were a 200-year-old military order, supposedly answerable only to the Pope. But Philip used his influence over Clement V, who was largely his pawn, to disband the order and remove its ecclesiastical status and protection in order to plunder it.

What became of the Templar treasures in France has long been a mystery that has led to many theories and speculations. There are a number of stories regarding Templars who escaped from Philip's agents, such as the tale that a number of ships sailed from France to Scotland possibly containing some of the Templar treasure, and that some of the Knights who sailed to Scotland later fought in the Battle of Bannockburn with Robert the Bruce when the Scots gained their independence from England.

A modern historical view is that Philip, who seized the considerable Templar treasury and broke up the Templar monastic banking system, simply sought to control it for himself. In 1314, he had the last Grand Master of the Templars, Jacques de Molay, burnt at the stake in Paris. According to legend, de Molay cursed both Philip and Clement V from the flames, saying that he would summon them before God's Tribunal within a year; as it turned out, both King and Pope died within the next year.

What caught my eye on this story was the nickname for the king. How could anyone who tortures to force confessions be considered β€œthe Fair.” Here is a further quote from the same article that explains it. It seems that even in 1307 looks meant more than character.

Quote:
A member of the Capetian dynasty, Philip was born at the Palace of Fontainebleau at Seine-et-Marne, the son of King Philip III and Isabella of Aragon. Philip was nicknamed the Fair (le Bel) because of his handsome appearance.

Permanent Backlink to Post

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Last edited by A Proud Liberal on Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I believe the idea that Friday the 13th was somehow unlucky stemmed from the arrest of all of the Templers, PL...it was mentioned in Dan Brown's The Di Vinci Code. I'd been aware of the mysterious Templars for a long time, but hadn't really paid much attention to their story until I read Brown's book.

The Templars are also involved with the Shroud of Turin legends.

Regarding how appearances have been more important than reality, it's evident throughout history. I'm thinking of England's Henry the VIII's penchant for a pretty face...when he was confronted with Anne of Cleves, a strapping German woman, he preferred to divorce her almost on sight, since their marriage had already taken place by proxy. If Henry and Anne of Cleves had had children, maybe those children would have been healthy males and who knows what effect that might have had on world history.

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman