It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A question
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:30 am 
Lots to Say
Lots to Say

On reading the FAQ, I notice that accounts can be closed if you don't post and the reason given is that the members database is periodically cleaned up.

Why is this done? I find this site to be a remarkable resource. Most people who have the PC and internet connection to come here could learn so much by reading some of these posts. Unfortunately, they are listening and watching the commercial media instead.

So far, I have found the standard of posting to be quite high and I would imagine that the majority of people who find this site would be a little intimidated by the "You have to post" rule to retain membership.

What I would like to see is a little less preaching to the converted and a plan to make this site known far and wide. However, in becoming well known there is a danger that every Homer Simpson will put his five cents worth in and dilute the intelligent debates that make this a valued resource.

Lurkers are good. Aren't they the people this site is trying to reach? Don't we want a fairer society? Or is this site really about, "Yes, I know, I know."

Just a thought.

Post subject: Re: A question
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:30 am 

DJWolf wrote:
Why is this done?

This is done because a lot of the membership from new people is done by bots and such. They are just not real people. There is no rule against being a lurker; it requires no membership. Membership is required to post and posting confirms the necessity of membership. We recently added the public polls forum where non-registered lurkers are welcomed to vote. If they would like to post however, membership is still required.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:31 am 
Lots to Say
Lots to Say

Fair enough.... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good question, DJ!

APL summed it up well as to why we delete new accounts within one month if they contain 0 posts. We used to get all kinds of "spambots" that were programmed for posting offensive sites and/or commercial products/sites. Many of those sites were drug-related, too. Now, I screen all new accounts and determine whether or not to activate them. We no longer have x-rated photos and posts showing up in the forums, either.

We still get registered spambots which I don't activate, of course. But we also figure that anyone who wants to take part in our discussions should do so within one month of registering. Just one post keeps his or her account active indefinitely. Deleting inactive accounts also prevents a "false number" showing up in the membership count.

Thanks for the kind words about the site. Your presence adds quality, and thanks for being a member.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:14 am 

I have to say thanks, too. That was a really nice thing to point out DJ. I am glad you find our group so great.