Post subject: believe it or...? SSDD-same shit different despots
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:58 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

"If you come here to help me, then you are wasting
your time. But if you come here because your
liberation is bound up in mine, then let us begin."
Lily Walker, Australian aboriginal women's leader

When people are given the proof that change is required and they don't change, they never wanted change in the first place.

Men of energy of character must have enemies; because there are two sides to every question, and taking one with decision, and acting on it with effect, those who take the other will of course be hostile in proportion as they feel that effect.

With those who wish to think amiss of me, I have learned to be perfectly indifferent; but where I know a mind to be ingenuous, and to need only truth to set it to rights, I cannot be as passive.

It used to be that for Republicans, you ran to the right in primaries, toward the center for the general election; Democrats ran to the left in primaries, and to the center during general elections.

The Little Red Book we all should own- The Revolution: Quotations from Revolution Party Chairman R. U. Sirius (Paperback)
by R. U. Sirius (Author)
(Sirius is enough of an idealist to say "we will repeal five times as many laws as we pass" but enough of a realist to say "you can't have the withering away of the State until you've built other defenses against total rape by the multinationals.")
Maybe you won't like all his answers. But you have to admit his name asks the right question.

Politicians are like diapers. They both need changing regularly and for the same reason.

There are many men of principle in both parties in America, but there is no party of principle.

Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly succeed, and are right.

Take our politicians: they're a bunch of yo-yos. The presidency is now a cross between a popularity contest and a high school debate, with an encyclopedia of cliches the first prize.

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry.

The idea that you can merchandise candidates for high office like breakfast cereal - that you can gather votes like box tops - is... the ultimate indignity to the democratic process.

The reason there are so few female politicians is that it is too much trouble to put makeup on two faces.

There are always too many Democratic congressmen, too many Republican congressmen, and never enough U.S. congressmen.

The best thing about this group of candidates is that only one of them can win.

I like the smell of a dunged field, and the tumult of a popular election.

Some men change their party for the sake of their principles; others their principles for the sake of their party.

There are only two great currents in the history of mankind: the baseness which makes conservatives and the envy which makes revolutionaries.

The Democrats seem to be basically nicer people, but they have demonstrated time and again that they have the management skills of celery. They're the kind of people who'd stop to help you change a flat, but would somehow manage to set your car on fire. I would be reluctant to entrust them with a Cuisinart, let alone the economy. The Republicans, on the other hand, would know how to fix your tire, but they wouldn't bother to stop because they'd want to be on time for Ugly Pants Night at the country club.

If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.

Whenever a man has cast a longing eye on offices, a rottenness begins in his conduct.

It is not in the nature of politics that the best men should be elected. The best men do not want to govern their fellowmen.

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.