It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ILLINOIS GOVERNOR SCANDAL
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

What do you all think of the Illinois Governor Scandal??????

:roll:

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: ILLINOIS GOVERNOR SCANDAL
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:49 am 

Rachel Maddow said last night it is sad. That is how I feel about it.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am appalled at Bago's behavior, especially when the Democrats have been poised to finally start to try to clean up the Bush mess. I am angry, too. Nothing is so forceful as greed, is it? :evil:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:55 am 

All these religious people who talk about Christ seem to have missed his admonishment about greed. In fact, the old testament talked about it from the book of Genesis. 10 Commandments. Seven (?) Deadly Sins. And still greed rules so many lives--and destroys the lives of even more people.

Of course I am angry at Bago's actions, but if he truly is mentally incapable of behaving any other way, he is sick. He is doing much more damage than if he had the flu or a broken leg, but still, sickness in the head is sickness.

Rs are doing everything they can to smear Obama because this is happening in Chicago, but then Rs are always going to be Rs. If it weren't this, it would be something else--everything else they can find or dream up. This is hardly the first or last thing Rs are going to bitch about. They are the biggest whiners in the world and appeal to other whiners of which we have many.

I do love that Colin Powell told Rs to stop listening to Limbaugh and to
start to appeal to our better instincts. Too bad he waited so long to say it.

At least our schmuck has a mental problem. Theirs seem to have values problems.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:50 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Catherine wrote:
I am appalled at Bago's behavior, especially when the Democrats have been poised to finally start to try to clean up the Bush mess. I am angry, too. Nothing is so forceful as greed, is it? :evil:

Bago deserves his punishment. He seems like a idiot. Sure cusses a lot. He and his wife, understand.

I think it's rediculous that the repubs are still scratching at the dirt under their rocks in trying to find anything on Obama that appears remotely scandalous.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think Blago's eyes are unusually close together! Reminds me of the eyes of chimps and orangutans...although the primates seem to have more intelligence showing through theirs.

Quote:
I think it's rediculous that the repubs are still scratching at the dirt under their rocks in trying to find anything on Obama that appears remotely scandalous

Can't you just see them? Panting and puffing, Rove, Hannity, Coulter, Palin, Cheney, and maybe even McCain... hyperventilating, burning the midnight oil, getting cauliflower ears using their cells talking to anybody/everybody who they think might be able to "expose" something wrong Obama might have done in this mess. :lol:

http://greatscat.com/2008/12/really-gov ... evich.html

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:12 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

They're trying hard, if not the repubs, then the media, trying to make some sort of illegal connection between Rahm Emanual's suggestion for the senate seat and Blogo.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Obama aides avoid subpoenas in Blagojevich impeachment hearings

Gov. Rod Blagojevich's attorney will not get to call key aides of President-elect Barack Obama to testify at impeachment hearings after U.S. Atty. Patrick Fitzgerald told an Illinois House panel doing so would "significantly compromise" his ongoing criminal investigation of the governor.

The chairman of the House impeachment committee, state Rep. Barbara Flynn Currie (D-Chicago), will respect Fitzgerald's request and not issue the subpoenas for incoming White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel and close Obama friend and adviser Valerie Jarrett, panel spokesman Steve Brown said Saturday. Ed Genson, Blagojevich's attorney, sought their testimony before the impeachment panel.

Brown said Currie, who holds the power to subpoena witnesses before the 21-member panel deciding whether to impeach Blagojevich, also will not call two other witnesses Genson sought: Democratic U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., whose emissaries allegedly offered to raise cash for the governor in exchange for the seat, according to federal prosecutors, and Nils Larsen, a Tribune Co. executive vice president who helped engineer Sam Zell's purchase of the company.

Genson requested the testimony of the two Obama advisers after the president-elect's transition team issued an internal report Tuesday that noted Emanuel had one or two telephone calls with Blagojevich and about four calls with Blagojevich's then chief of staff, John Harris, about filling Obama's vacant U.S. Senate seat. The report said Emanuel recommended Jarrett to Blagojevich for the seat.

Are we sure Blago is a Democrat? His behavior is much more like that of a Repub! :lol:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:52 am 

1st off, blago is a frickin idiot in proportions that paint him as someone that obama would never even give the time of day. shrewd perceptions by barak.

hannity, oreilly, limpballs and the rest of the neonazi right wing are wasting thier time digging. barak has bulit an insular quality of openess about his life profile that has given everyone insight into his past. he's been very open about past youthfull indescretions and it's paid big dividends in showing the public that he truely has nothing to hide.

and that's what is really pissing of repug harpies so much. they know that corruption runs deep within thier own ranks and have seen how much damage it has caused to thier own, now largely impotent, party to sink to the lowly depths it now resides in. they don't understand how obama just doesn't seem to have any of the lowly pugnacious qualities that run rampant throughout thier own ranks.

good for the slimey bastards. they are slowly but surely relegating themselves to nothing but the regional bigoted party from the south.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Do you suppose they've been reading Angel of Mercy's 46 page thread? :wink:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:43 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I watched Rachel Maddow last night when she interviewed Blago's pick for Obama's vacant Senate seat, former Illinois Attorney General Roland Burris. She asked him some tough questions.

I am conflicted about this. I personally think Blago is one of the worst politicians I've ever seen not wearing a big red R on his Armani suit. He's crass, crude, greedy, dishonest, and has been an embarrassment to the Democratic party while giving the Repubs an opportunity to try to paint Obama with the same tar brush.

However, whether anybody likes or not, Blago is still the duly elected and sitting governor of Illinois. He has the legal right and responsibiliy to appoint a replacement for Obama, regardless of anything that might come down later onto his thick skull as a result of Fitzgerald's investigation.

Whether or not Burris is involved with Blago in some underhanded way, I don't know. According to the reports I've read, there's never been a "breath of scandal about him." But, as Burris said last night on Rachel M.'s show, the people of Illinois are entitled to TWO sitting Senators to represent them, and it's the governor's responsibility to see that that is exactly what Illinois has in January.

What do you all think about this? I don't believe it's fair to lump Burris with Blago...yet, if ever. And I don't think the Dems in the Senate should "reject" him. With this choice, it might be an opportunity for the Democrats to not be squabbling while Obama is being inaugurated. I'd rather see Burris in the Senate than Jesse Jackson, Jr....

Roland W. Burris — a low-key groundbreaker

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blagojevich Could Be Impeached Next Week

Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich could be impeached as early as next week.

The Illinois House has changed its schedule and will meet several days next week.

A spokesman for House Speaker Michael Madigan says the chamber may vote on a recommendation from the special committee studying whether Blagojevich should be impeached.

It would take a simple majority vote for the House to impeach -- which basically means accusing him of misconduct.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Burris Hangs in the Balance

The Coleman-Franken battle wasn’t the only drama going down Tuesday on Capitol Hill. Roland Burris, Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich’s pick for Barack Obama’s vacated Senate seat, was not part of the swearing-in ceremony for new members of Congress, but he just might make it after all.

Quote:
The Washington Post:

Burris’s single-minded push may yet succeed. Senate Democrats, once sharply opposed to allowing Burris to be seated because he was appointed by embattled Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich (D), are now considering allowing him to serve as a way to end a confrontation that could drag on for weeks and distract from what they hope will be an end to a decade of gridlock on Capitol Hill. One idea being considered, Democratic officials said, is allowing Burris to be seated if he agrees not to run for election in 2010, allowing the party to recruit another candidate to defend the seat (Burris has lost multiple statewide races in Illinois).

Sen. Majority Leader Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.) and Majority Whip Richard J. Durbin (D-Ill.) plan to meet with Burris today [Wednesday] on Capitol Hill, and the two leaders are undoubtedly eager to defuse a situation in which their resistance to the appointment could alienate black voters

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:19 pm 

I would like to apply my 2 cents worth here. First of all, the Illinois Governor hasn't committed any crime. Last time I checked, we still had freedom of speech in this country , I fought for some 58 years ago. Just because the "glowing dipstick" Patrick Fitzgerald ..a no-good republican wanting to get something started on Obama before he was sworn in, claiming he has wire taps showing Gov. Rod Blagojevich’s had made "suggestions" of selling the Senate seat to the highest bidder. All this doesn't make the Governor guilty of any crime until a jury trial in a court of law that he did so. Until then, he is still the Governor of Illinois, and has all the jurisdictions to fulfill the obligations as a Governor. He can appoint anyone he wants, and no law in the land that take that away from the man. Roland Burris is the senate nominee, and he should be sworn in...Now. The "dick up his ass" Harry Reid is a troublemaker, and we shouldn't allow this man to have one word of thought.

Remember this, the Democrats always defeat their purpose, as they love to fight between themselves, and that is why the Republicans are loving it.

Let me make that one dollar worth instead of 2 cents.

Last edited by King Fisher on Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well said, KF. As I stated in another post in this thread, Blago is still the duly elected governor of Illinois, and until that fact changes, he can and should continue to govern. Indeed, Blago has said some very nasty and suspicious things via telephone, but so far, he's not been found guilty of an actual crime. Burris should not be painted with the same tar brush as Blago. Give him a chance to prove himself and let's get on with trying to get out from under the Bush mess. You'd think the Dems would be so glad Barack Obama is about to become the POTUS, and that they hold both houses of Congress that they'd be less eager to expose themselves to ridicule by the Repubs. :roll:

It bothers me that Harry Reid is now trying to say the only reason Burris wasn't seated was "procedure." He'd look a lot better if he'd mentioned procedure when he was being so dogmatic about "any" appointment made by Blago several weeks ago. Now, he's having to scramble around and mince words.

Stay tuned!

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman