It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BUSH/CHENEY TRY TO RE-WRITE HISTORY THREAD
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As Bush's days in the White House become fewer and fewer, he's making every effort to re-write history so his legacy will be less tainted. Let's post the reports we find about his attempts to make himself and his administration look better to history in this thread.

Here's one I found at Think Progress:

Bush Rewrites History: ‘I Never Said The Taliban Was Eliminated’

Early this morning, during a press conference in Kabul with Afghan President Karzai, President Bush attempted to paper over his previous declarations of victory over the now-resurgent Taliban. Bush claimed emphatically, “I never said the Taliban was eliminated.” Watch it:

In fact, Bush used the word “eliminated” to describe the state of the Taliban on several occasions:

September 2002: “The Taliban’s ability to brutalize the Afghan people and to harbor and support terrorists has been virtually eliminated.”

April 2002: “With the Taliban eliminated and al-Qaida badly damaged, we have moved into the second stage of our war on terror.”

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: BUSH TRIES TO RE-WRITE HISTORY THREAD
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:04 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

His efforts will be drowned under the continuing avalanche of analysis.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't think history will be kind to Bush and I agree with you, PT. In fact, I think he will be compared to Adolph Hitler more and more, and it may be even that Saddam Hussein will be viewed more favorably than Bush will be by historians of the future.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:21 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Well I doubt that Saddam will get treated to well due to the fact that he refused to knee to the New GlobalOrder...which is largely (though not entirely) of semeetic origins.

Jws are attracted to writing...and re-writing history. Like a moth to light.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:02 am 

Odd, Cheney is still trying to justify attacking Iraq. Meanwhile, Bush is doing his best to rewrite history. Is there any aspect of his dismal Presidential stay in office he hasn't tried to give a 180 to?

I don't have links, but he has attempted to 'brightened up' with words, just about every destruction for which he is responsible. We will see how good he is at polishing away the truth in the coming months and years.

For now, Bush is still a four letter word.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:18 am 

dori wrote:
For now, Bush is still a four letter word.

I'm much more likely to spell it "MOFO."

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:09 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I like how Cheney says that history will show those two boobs did all right (or some crap like that).

But the analysis that is already out serves as a kind of historical record and a lot of the analysis aint pretty.

Take Peter W. Galbraith's book, Unintended Consequences: How War in Iraq Strengthened America's Enemies.

The NY Times summarizes the book as calling the Iraq operations ... a costly, bungled operation ... having "... the opposite effect of virtually everything that President Bush and his administration promised the American public it would have:"

Quote:
¶A war intended to eliminate (what were later found to be non-existent) weapons of mass destruction in Iraq “ended up with Iran and North Korea much closer to having deployable nuclear weapons.”

¶A war intended to help combat terrorism has led to the recruitment of more terrorists and the spread of Al Qaeda to Iraq.

¶A war intended to create a bulwark against the ayatollahs in Tehran turned into a “strategic gift to Iran” and the empowerment in Iraq of pro-Iranian Shiite theocrats.

¶A war intended to make Israel more secure has made that country more vulnerable to threats from Syria, Iran and Hezbollah.

¶A war intended to showcase American power has ended up underscoring “the deficiencies of U.S. intelligence, the incompetence of American administration and the limitations on the American military.”

¶A war meant to boost America’s global leadership “has driven U.S. prestige to an all-time low” over the last five years and alienated important allies like Turkey.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:14 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

The following article sites the Bush admins attempt to delete their original COTW list as a means of rewriting history. What's up with that?

Report: White House Deleted 'Coalition of the Willing' Lists
Quote:
Updated 4:19 p.m. Dec. 11

In what critics are calling a blatant attempt to rewrite history, the White House has pulled two lists of countries included in the Bush administration's "coalition of the willing" from its Web site and altered others.

Scott Althaus, an associate political science professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and Kalev Leetaru, coordinator of Information Technology and Research at the Cline Center for Democracy, called the changes to the lists, which were used in press releases prior to the United States' invasion of Iraq in 2003, part of Bush's "legacy at risk of being forgotten."

"Updating lists to keep up with the times is one thing," says the report titled "Airbrushing History, American Style." "Deleting original documents from the White House archives is another. Back-dating later documents and using them to replace the originals goes beyond irresponsible stewardship of the public record. It is rewriting history."

Althaus and Leetaru discovered the missing pages during academic research, and used archived web pages to plot what happened.

Costa Rica was on that list, but they got smart and said in effect, "Take our name off that crap!"

And you have that statement by Bush/Cheney about history looking upon them favorably. Of course, if you help to rewrite that history.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:42 am 

Channel Zero wrote:
The following article sites the Bush admins attempt to delete their original COTW list as a means of rewriting history. What's up with that?

Report: White House Deleted 'Coalition of the Willing' Lists
Quote:
Updated 4:19 p.m. Dec. 11

In what critics are calling a blatant attempt to rewrite history, the White House has pulled two lists of countries included in the Bush administration's "coalition of the willing" from its Web site and altered others.

Scott Althaus, an associate political science professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and Kalev Leetaru, coordinator of Information Technology and Research at the Cline Center for Democracy, called the changes to the lists, which were used in press releases prior to the United States' invasion of Iraq in 2003, part of Bush's "legacy at risk of being forgotten."

"Updating lists to keep up with the times is one thing," says the report titled "Airbrushing History, American Style." "Deleting original documents from the White House archives is another. Back-dating later documents and using them to replace the originals goes beyond irresponsible stewardship of the public record. It is rewriting history."

Althaus and Leetaru discovered the missing pages during academic research, and used archived web pages to plot what happened.

Costa Rica was on that list, but they got smart and said in effect, "Take our name off that crap!"

And you have that statement by Bush/Cheney about history looking upon them favorably. Of course, if you help to rewrite that history.

The key: "Updating lists to keep up with the times is one thing," says the report titled "Airbrushing History, American Style." "Deleting original documents from the White House archives is another. Back-dating later documents and using them to replace the originals goes beyond irresponsible stewardship of the public record. It is rewriting history."

Great find CZ. This puts it in a neat package. It is rewriting history!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:31 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I guess Bush will keep telling these lies until he dies.
Quote:
Bush visited his troops at Camp Victory in Iraq this month and said: "Iraq had a record of supporting terror, of developing and using weapons of mass destruction, was routinely firing at American military personnel, systematically violating UN resolutions ... Iraqis, once afraid to leave their homes are going back to school and shopping in malls ... American troops are returning home because of success." Only one shoe and one without a sharp stiletto was hurled at him by Muntadar al-Zaidi, an Iraqi who begged to differ.

A number of books have already been written to chronicle the days before the Iraq invasion, sighting there were no WMD's, etc. But Bush will forever write his story in this delusional matter.

In fact, that is what Moira Whelan of the National Security Network says about Bush.
Quote:
... As Bush bequeaths this highly volatile situation to the next administration, he is now attempting to rewrite history and dodge responsibility for his role in starting the war. President Bush in recent interviews admitted that if he had a “do-over” he would “wish the intelligence had been different.” Yet despite this being “the biggest regret of all the presidency,” Bush seemed to suggest he would still have gone to war in Iraq – and leaves behind a daunting set of challenges in Iraq, the wider Middle East and around the globe for the next Administration and a rising generation of Americans.

And so does the SF Chronicle:
Quote:
Revisionist history about the Iraq war

Sunday, December 14, 2008

President Bush is trying mightily to rewrite the history of the Iraq war before his administration leaves power. He and members of his national security brain trust, including Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, would like to dispel the narrative that they misled the country into war. Instead, both Bush and Rice are trying to characterize the White House as the unwitting recipient of faulty intelligence.
The president's attempt to disassociate himself from accountability for the phony pretext for war is simply outrageous. Bush and his vice president, Dick Cheney, were not just two guys in a crowd of "a lot of people" who were worried about Hussein's weapons capability. They were elevating the hysteria about Iraq at a time when some of this nation's most important allies were openly skeptical of U.S. claims of Hussein's weapons cache and capabilities. The Bush administration was sounding alarms - such as Rice's January 2003 suggestion that ceding to uncertainty might cause the "smoking gun to be a mushroom cloud" - even though U.N. inspectors were coming up empty.

Most infamously, Bush's 2003 State of the Union address included the 16 words claiming that Hussein had tried to obtain "significant quantities" of uranium, even though red flags had been raised within the State Department about the veracity of the claims.

(Me satirizing the old man:) "Did I say those things? I must have intentionally, unintentionally said something to that effect? I mean, it was kinda-true at the time. Sort of. I mean, I really, really, really felt that way.

So what?"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:45 am 

Ah yes, our two great leaders, so and so what.

One is rewriting history and the other is selling the war all over again. Guess they aren't on the same page after all...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cheney wants the next VP to be "controlled!"

You betcha! :wink: link

CHECK OUT: The Ten Lies of Dick Cheney (Part One

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: BUSH/CHENEY TRY TO RE-WRITE HISTORY THREAD
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:46 pm 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

Maybe future generations will come to believe the kinds of myths about GWB's admin as current ones do about pieces of schit like FDR, Woodrow Wilson, and Abe Lincoln...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:19 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Much will be made of Bush trying to blame the intelligence rather than himself on the false pretenses for which he entered the Iraq war. Alternet:
Quote:
In other words, his biggest regret wasn't regret over anything he did but rather regret over something that was done to him, a vague "intelligence failure" rather than a misguided decision to invade another country. Bush explained that "a lot of people put their reputations on the line and said the weapons of mass destruction is a reason to remove Saddam Hussein. It wasn't just people in my administration; a lot of members in Congress, prior to my arrival in Washington, D.C., during the debate on Iraq, a lot of leaders of nations around the world were all looking at the same intelligence."
The main thing that changed over the course of 2002 wasn't anything about the intelligence, it was the fact that the Bush administration wanted to invade Iraq. Consequently, a new, more alarmist intelligence estimate was written up. Then a more alarmist redacted version was released to the public. And the administration's public statements were more alarming still. There were real intelligence failures here, but they were and are dwarfed by the policy failure.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

George W Bush’s $300m library in danger of becoming white elephant

His critics see it as a monument to a failed presidency that may not even hold all his key documents :roll:

Quote:
As President George W Bush eyes his legacy, his presidential library at Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas, threatens to be a white elephant.

Bush has bought a $3m (£2.05m) house in a Republican enclave 10 minutes away from his proposed library and hopes to play an active role in the policy institute that will be established there. With his approval ratings at a record low of 20%, according to a CBS poll, he is keenly interested in shaping the verdict of history.

“I’d like to be . . . known as somebody who liberated 50m people and helped achieve peace,” Bush said in a recent interview. Laura Bush said last week that she saw the policy institute as a “great vehicle” for continuing her support for women’s rights in Afghanistan and the Middle East

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman