It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bush's Legacy: America Off Course (way off course)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:19 pm 
Deal With It!

Last edited by anniefey on Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Bush's Legacy: America Off Course (way off course)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:21 pm 
Deal With It!

WHITE HOUSE WATCH (This Drive!)

The Bush Verdict Is In

By Dan Froomkin
Special to washingtonpost.com
Tuesday, January 13, 2009; 12:36 PM

Bush famously asserts that history's verdict on his presidency won't come until he's long dead. But far from waiting until his corpse is cold, the verdict is largely in before he's even left the building.

Some things just aren't gonna change, no matter how much time passes. Here is Bush's legacy, in part:

He took the nation to a war of choice under false pretenses -- and left troops in harm's way on two fields of battle. He embraced torture as an interrogation tactic and turned the world's champion of human dignity into an outlaw nation and international pariah. He watched with detachment as a major American city went under water. He was ostensibly at the helm as the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression took hold. He went from being the most popular to the most disappointing president, having squandered a unique opportunity to unite the country and even the world behind a shared agenda after Sept. 11. He set a new precedent for avoiding the general public in favor of screened audiences and seemed to occupy an alternate reality. He took his own political party from seeming permanent majority status to where it is today. And he deliberately politicized the federal government, circumvented the traditional policymaking process, ignored expert advice and suppressed dissent, leaving behind a broken government.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01509.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Who Was President on 9/11?

When evaluating President Bush's presidency, everything for Republicans begins on September 12, 2001.

Ignored is the PDB: Bin Laden Determined to Attack in U.S. Ignored is that Bush was on vacation when he got that warning, but stayed on vacation and did nothing. Ignored was the fact that Richard Clarke's position focusing on terrorism, which had been a cabinet level post during WJC's presidency, was neutered so that Clarke couldn't even get a substantive meeting on the threats we faced until it was way too late. Ignored is the fact that all summer there were hair on fire warnings about something big about to happen. Ignored is the fact that WJC and his national security team warned Bush about the threats and Al Qaeda, but because of Bush-Cheney's Anything But Clinton philosophy, they ignored the threats already known and went it alone. People paid with their lives.

Republicans even blame WJC for 9/11, ignoring who was actually in charge the day of the carnage. That said, there is enough blame to go around, it's just that Bush never accepts any at all. Funny how in 1993, when the very first World Trade Center bombing happened just months after WJC came into office, that was never blamed on Bush 41. ...or that the hits we took in Lebanon on Reagan's watch were never calculated, when so many years later the Republican in office remained clueless about terrorism. Considering it was C.I.A. Director Casey under Reagan that helped fund bin Laden in Afghanistan, this is no small point.

Campbell Brown (video here) quoted Bush from Larry King's interview this week, where the president said something truly stunning. When asked if we had ever come close to catching Osama bin Laden, the president didn't have a clue:

King: Did we ever come close?

Bush: I don't know. I can't answer that.

From "dead or alive" to who knows?

Never addressed by Republicans is how many more enemies the U.S. has today than we did before Bush and Cheney's foreign policy laid waste to our strategic alliances. To Republicans, led by the noise machine on wingnut radio, helped along by Fox news, everything for George W. Bush begins on 9/12. It's really the most glaring insult of Bush's rehabilitation tour. Republicans want people to forget that not only was Bush caught unprepared on 9/11, but that once he regained his composure he not only let the culprit get away, but to this day he has no idea of what progress, if any, we've made in catching the man behind the largest post WWII attack in our country's history.

Even if Bin Laden is simply a symbol at this late date, that the commander in chief of this country hasn't a clue of our progress to bring him to justice says everything about George W. Bush as he leaves office.

Seven years later, Bin Laden remains the man who got away.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:27 am 

Catherine wrote:
Seven years later, Bin Laden remains the man who got away.

Next Tuesday bin Laden will be joined by the War Chimp and Darth Cheney. Prosecuting these two is not a matter of vengeance; it is a matter of justice. This will be the crux of determining whether Obama really wants change OR is already running for reelection.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:15 am 

anniefey wrote:
WHITE HOUSE WATCH (This Drive!)

The Bush Verdict Is In

By Dan Froomkin
Special to washingtonpost.com
Tuesday, January 13, 2009; 12:36 PM

Bush famously asserts that history's verdict on his presidency won't come until he's long dead. But far from waiting until his corpse is cold, the verdict is largely in before he's even left the building.

Some things just aren't gonna change, no matter how much time passes. Here is Bush's legacy, in part:

He took the nation to a war of choice under false pretenses -- and left troops in harm's way on two fields of battle. He embraced torture as an interrogation tactic and turned the world's champion of human dignity into an outlaw nation and international pariah. He watched with detachment as a major American city went under water. He was ostensibly at the helm as the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression took hold. He went from being the most popular to the most disappointing president, having squandered a unique opportunity to unite the country and even the world behind a shared agenda after Sept. 11. He set a new precedent for avoiding the general public in favor of screened audiences and seemed to occupy an alternate reality. He took his own political party from seeming permanent majority status to where it is today. And he deliberately politicized the federal government, circumvented the traditional policymaking process, ignored expert advice and suppressed dissent, leaving behind a broken government.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01509.html

Annie,

I was happily reading the above article and when I tried to go to the next page, I ended up on a blank page with just a wapo banner at the top. Did you have this problem?

Also, I find it interesting that the most ass-licking, bush-loving paper on earth has suddenly decided maybe they don't like him so much.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:01 pm 
Deal With It!

McClellan: Bush, Cheney 'deceiving themselves' on legacy 'tour'

David Edwards and Muriel Kane
Thursday January 15, 2009

President George Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney have been devoting their final days in office to an attempt to shore up their own legacy. However, former White House press secretary Scott McClellan insists that "nothing's really changed" and that the two men are "deceiving themselves" if they hope to convince people their administration was a success.

"Do the president and the vice president actually think that they didn't make any significant mistakes?" Olbermann asked.

"I think to some extent, they're trapped in this state of denial about their own shortcomings and how this administration went off course," McClellan replied.

http://rawstory.com/news/2008/McClellan ... _0115.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:09 pm 
Deal With It!

lefty wrote:
anniefey wrote:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/blog/2009/01/13/BL2009011301509.html

Annie,

I was happily reading the above article and when I tried to go to the next page, I ended up on a blank page with just a wapo banner at the top. Did you have this problem?

Also, I find it interesting that the most ass-licking, bush-loving paper on earth has suddenly decided maybe they don't like him so much.

I had no problem the first time I read it. I just went back to the article and clicked on next page, and again, had no problem. Did you try refresh?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:42 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Remember that few people have presidential access.

Most of those people are globalists/Rockefeller CFR's. They really ARE pleased with the destruction/re-alignment that the dark side has realized with the Bushbarians.

The really bad news is that while they have a new horse to ride, the jockeys, trainers, handlers and owners all remain the same.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:46 am 
Lots to Say
Lots to Say

Catherine wrote:
If the shoe fits..................wear it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lest we forget......

Bush’s 2001 inaugural pledge: I will ‘call for responsibility and try to live it as well.

Almost eight years ago, President Bush took the oath of office and solemnly swore to “preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.” (Listen here.) It was a cold, overcast, and rainy day in Washington, DC, devoid of much of the excitement surrounding this weekend’s festivities. In Fahrenheit 9/11, Michael Moore captured the scene:

(see link)

After taking the oath, Bush delivered an inaugural address that contained this pledge: “I will live and lead by these principles: to advance my convictions with civility, to pursue the public interest with courage, to speak for greater justice and compassion, to call for responsibility and try to live it as well.” Watch the entire speech here.

UpdateOn Keith Olbermann's show Thursday night, former White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan noted, "The president won‘t even acknowledge a single mistake of significance. And that‘s a problem, because you‘re not going get people to pay attention if you don‘t do that."

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:57 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I am glad to know that you libs are 'rockin in the free world' as Obama prepares to give another speech.

However....knowing that he packed his appointments with more neocons, my question is this: What do you spike your kool-aid with? Where can I get this stuff that you put in your kool-aid? :drunken:

But by all means....carry on. God knows that you have earned a period of happiness. :P

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks, PT...your optimism is so refreshing! :wink:

Tell me, what do you think of the people Obama has chosen for his Cabinet and other positions? The report below shows that Bush surrounded himself with people who contributed much to his being judged as the "worst president in American history." When I see their names and their histories all grouped together, it's quite clear and no longer a mystery as to how one man could make such a mess of things in seven short years. (I count Bush's zenith as being September 12, 2001)

I liked the comment of one reader at the link:
Quote:
Additional honorable mentions, but the gifts that will just keep on giving for decades: John Roberts and Sam Alito.

The Top 43 Appointees Who Helped Make Bush The Worst President Ever

Quote:
Next week, “change is coming to America,” as President George W. Bush wraps up his tenure as one of the worst American presidents ever. He wasn’t able to accomplish such an ignominious feat all by himself, however; he had a great deal of help along the way. The ThinkProgress team heralds the conclusion of the Bush 43 presidency by bringing you our list of the top 43 worst Bush appointees. Did we miss anyone? Who should have been ranked higher? Let us know what you think.

Quote:
Update After we published this list in The Progress Report, Rep. Brad Miller (D-NC), Chairman of the Investigations and Oversight Subcommittee of the House Science and Technology Committee, contacted us to urge that OIRA head Susan Dudley be added to the list. Dudley headed the Mercatus Center at George Mason University before heading OIRA. “The Mercatus Center takes the view that regulation is never appropriate unless there has been a market failure, and the market never fails,” Miller said. “Dudley concocted elaborate explanations for how the market will eventually solve whatever the problem is. She was probably more responsible for EPA’s failings than Stephen Johnson.”

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:03 pm 
Deal With It!

The Goof Ball Is Leaving The Building!

:D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:04 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

You want my opinion? I think America is being shocked so that the resources and infrastructure can be privatized by the globalists.

The neo-cons are loyal alright. To another country.