It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unity '09: Dem groups quietly align
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unity '09: Dem groups quietly align

A broad coalition of left-leaning groups is quietly closing ranks into a new coalition, "Unity '09," aimed at helping President Barack Obama push his agenda through Congress.

Conceived at a New York meeting before the November election, two Democrats familiar with the planning said, Unity '09 will draw together money and grassroots organizations to pressure lawmakers in their home states to back White House legislation and other progressive causes.

The online-based MoveOn.org is a central player in the nascent organization, but other groups involved in planning Unity '09 span a broad spectrum of interests, from the American Civil Liberties Union to the National Council of La Raza to Planned Parenthood, as well as labor unions and environmental groups.

The group is still in its early stages, and its organizers have adopted a secretive posture: Several of the people involved did not respond to emails over the last two days, even though one of them, former MoveOn executive director Eli Pariser, has programmed his MoveOn email account to assure correspondents that he is using the account for messages "including Unity '09 work."

People familiar with the planning said that the White House is not directly involved in the group's formation, though Unity '09's main day-to-day staffer, Aaron Pickrell, was a senior aide on Obama's presidential campaign. Aides to Obama and to Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel didn't respond to inquiries about whether they were familiar with the group.

Unity '09 comes at a time of increasing coordination on the left, including an effort this week by the Democratic National Committee, Obama's grassroots network and other groups to defend Obama's budget and attack the GOP as obstructionists

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: Unity '09: Dem groups quietly align
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:40 am 

As I so often love to do, I'm going to play the devil's advocate here and ask how is this any different than the Bilderberger group or the John Birch Society or any of the other groups that get together to push their goals by sheer force of number?

Post subject: Re: Unity '09: Dem groups quietly align
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:43 pm 

lefty wrote:
As I so often love to do, I'm going to play the devil's advocate here and ask how is this any different than the Bilderberger group or the John Birch Society or any of the other groups that get together to push their goals by sheer force of number?

The best case scenario would be they AREN'T any different and were as effective. The winger groups traditionally weren't effective because of number supporters but the huge financial clout they carried with them. This movement on the left has to be somewhat under the radar to prevent the right from roadblocking before anything of value can be initiated. Only once the snowball has gathered sufficient steam going downhill, can the issues be made populist and the general public can prevent the right sidetracking and stopping progress.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote