It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: STATE OF THE UNION REACTIONS, ANALYSIS
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:15 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

At this link you can read many reactions to and analysis of President Obama's first SOTU speech:

State Of The Union: Reactions, Analysis Of Obama's 2010 Address

I loved how Obama looked the Supreme Court judges in the face and told them (in different words, of course) that their most recent decision regarding campaign financing was a load of shit. :mrgreen:

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: STATE OF THE UNION REACTIONS, ANALYSIS
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Looks like Justice Roberts has been harboring some upset feelings since the SOTU address... :lol: :lol: :lol: Guess he didn't like the spanking he and his fellow Bushies got from the President!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/0 ... 92633.html

Quote:
The White House fired back at Justice John Roberts Tuesday night, after the Supreme Court Chief told a crowd that he found it "very troubling" that President Barack Obama would criticize the court during his State of the Union address.

In a statement sent to reporters, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said that the only troubling thing was the 5-4 ruling by the court, which said that corporations could spend unlimited amounts of money advocating on behalf of candidates in elections. Roberts leads the court.

"What is troubling is that this decision opened the floodgates for corporations and special interests to pour money into elections - drowning out the voices of average Americans," Gibbs said. "The President has long been committed to reducing the undue influence of special interests and their lobbyists over government. That is why he spoke out to condemn the decision and is working with Congress on a legislative response."

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:21 pm 

Did I hear someone mention Roberts should be impeached because he lied to Congress when he said he would follow the principles of the court and not be an activist judge?

That could be our only hope.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That will be the day...when the Democrats would actually even suggest that Roberts be impeached! :roll: Not that he shouldn't be, but I watched Michael Moore tonight on the Rachel Maddow Show. He looked right at the camera and begged the Democrats in Congress to "DO SOMETHING!" Everything Mike said I agreed with, including how hopeful we all were on January 20, 2009 when we just knew that a new day was dawning for our country...that the Democrats had taken back the government and all the Bush-Cheney damage would be fixed. Instead, we got a bunch of hats in the hands Congressional Democrats apologizing to the Republican minority for WINNING! They've been turning the other cheek...ass cheeks, that is...ever since, and the Repubs have been gleefully kicking them daily. AND those same Dems are doing very little to actually bring about that Change we could Believe In! Yes...Dems...DO SOMETHING that makes our voting for you worthwhile!!

I LOVED how Rachel exposed Bart Stupak for the lying bastard that he is....selfishly saturating the airwaves with his ugly face and self-rightous talk about abortion language in the health care reform bill and how he would not support such a thing! All he wants is ATTENTION...and he's willing to sacrifice thousands and thousands of American uninsured to get it. Is he a Republican? Might as well be!

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:26 pm 

Catherine wrote:
I LOVED how Rachel exposed Bart Stupak for the lying bastard that he is....selfishly saturating the airwaves with his ugly face and self-rightous talk about abortion language in the health care reform bill and how he would not support such a thing! All he wants is ATTENTION...and he's willing to sacrifice thousands and thousands of American uninsured to get it. Is he a Republican? Might as well be!

Catherine, you may have your laugh after all. I sent $25.00 to the newly elected come Nov. 2010 Michigan's First Congressional District. Mrs. Connie Saltonstall.

NEWS:

TOPICS The House
DiggsBart Stupak to Get Democratic Primary Challenge
By Susie Madrak Wednesday Mar 10, 2010 2:00pm Oh boy, am I happy to hear this: A pro-choice, pro-healthcare reform woman running against Bart Stupak. Can't wait until she gets her fundraising page up:

WASHINGTON – Michigan’s Bart Stupak, a Democratic congressman who could help bring down health care reform over an abortion provision, is getting a primary challenge this year.

Connie Saltonstall of Charlevoix said today she plans to run against Stupak for the Democratic nomination of Michigan’s First Congressional District, citing Stupak’s efforts to stop health care reform if it doesn’t ban use of government money for abortions. Stupak, a former state trooper from Menominee, has held the seat since 1993.

This year and last, Stupak has made a name for himself as a thorn in the side of some congressional Democrats pushing legislation for health care reform. While largely supportive of those efforts, he successfully attached an amendment last fall to ban use of federal funds to help pay for abortions.

“I believe that he has a right to his personal, religious views, but to deprive his constituents of needed health care reform because of those views is reprehensible,” said Saltonstall in a statement.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:18 pm 

Don't you love that Michael Moore is in Stupak's district. He had some choice words about that. And he said Saltonstall is a good person, if Moore says it is so, I am a believer.

Rachel Maddow did a first rate job shining a light on Stupak. Do you think we will ever find out who paid for his lodging on C Street?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:00 pm 

Dori, What is the name of Stupak's religious group/gang he claims to be hinged to. Those are the kooks that paid his so called rent at the C-Street.....I think I'm perfect here in saying so.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:29 pm 

My 17-year-old son today mentioned his history teacher talking about RINOs, “Republicans In Name Only.” I told him his history teacher needs to look at the real recent history under the shrub, the Repugs got everything through Congress because no matter how slight their majority, they never broke ranks. Today we have the far more serious and actual problem of DINOs, “Democrats In Name Only.”

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Dori, What is the name of Stupak's religious group/gang he claims to be hinged to

I may have "misheard" what Rachel said the name was due to the cold I have, but I thought she referred to Stupak's generous friends as "The Family."

I only hope Stupak's opposition kicks his ass out of office. Stupak is a moral imbecile.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:05 am 

Catherine wrote:
I may have "misheard" what Rachel said the name was due to the cold I have, but I thought she referred to Stupak's generous friends as "The Family."

This is a very dangerous group. Very cult like and secretive. Many Repugs have been indoctrinated there. The Shurb’s head of religious affairs and religious initiatives came from there.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:15 am 

Everything I have learned about the C Street "church" and "The Family" came from the Rachel Maddow show.

[url][/http://MaddowBlog.msnbc.msn.com/url]

She has covered this story for months. I imagine you could find some interesting information on her site.

Tonight it sounded like some of the people paying $600 rent for a room with maid service might have to answer to the Ethics Committee in Congress.

One can only hope.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rep. Peter DeFazio Investigating Impeachment For Chief Justice John Roberts

With Democrats increasingly outraged over the Supreme Court's Citizens United decision that allowed unlimited corporate spending in elections -- a change conservatives have been more successful at taking advantage of -- a Democratic congressman is raising the prospect of impeaching the Supreme Court's chief justice over the issue.

"I mean, the Supreme Court has done a tremendous disservice to the United States of America," Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-Ore.) told The Huffington Post on Tuesday. "They have done more to undermine our democracy with their Citizens United decision than all of the Republican operatives in the world in this campaign. They've opened the floodgates, and personally, I'm investigating articles of impeachment against Justice Roberts for perjuring during his Senate hearings, where he said he wouldn't be a judicial activist, and he wouldn't overturn precedents."

In his 2005 confirmation hearings, Roberts famously said, "Judges and justices are servants of the law, not the other way around. Judges are like umpires. Umpires don't make the rules; they apply them. The role of an umpire and a judge is critical. They make sure everybody plays by the rules. But it is a limited role. Nobody ever went to a ball game to see the umpire."

According to DeFazio, Roberts hasn't stood by his own doctrine.

MORE AT THE LINK

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:43 pm 

Randi Rhodes has also been talking about the need to impeach Clarence Thomas. If only...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thomas should never have been approved in the first place. He managed to get onto the SCOTUS by the skin of his teeth and he's been relatively silent since, but he usually sides with the most conservative decisions. His wife is white....and recently tried to demand an apology from Anita Hill! :lol:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman