It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Power Struggle
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:28 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

While many people are watching the fights inside the Republican party between the Tea Baggers and the more traditional business elements, there is a fight being waged in the Democratic Party. On one side stand such figures as Rahm Emmanuel and Bart Stupak, while on another stand people such as Raul Grijalva and Howard Dean. There is division, even in the different camps, not just on objectives but strategies.

Perhaps no other issue of late has showcased these division in the Democratic Party than health care. There were successes and failures along the way for each faction, and there are signs that some Democrats are looking at organizing outside of the party to promote progressive candidates. I suspect that any victories will take a while to achieve, due to the massive inertia and corporate influence in the Democratic Party.

There is an interesting and VERY long article at the Huffington Post on this. Here is an excerpt:

Quote:
Power Struggle: Inside The Battle For The Soul Of The Democratic Party

Raúl Grijalva is sitting quietly with a few of his staffers at one end of the bar, a bottle of Bud and a shot of whiskey in front of him, while his fellow Democratic members of the House of Representatives roar in celebration at the other end. It's 1 a.m. Less than two hours earlier, after a 14-month battle, Congress approved comprehensive health care reform.

Joe Crowley, ascendant leader of the New Democrat Coalition, stands behind the bar, passing out beers to his colleagues -- Bart Stupak, Melissa Bean, Steve Driehaus, John Larson. Crowley owns the place, his six-foot-four frame and Tyrannosaurus head towering over the crush of members, staffers, reporters and regulars.

Grijalva is a regular. So much so that for weeks, a cartoon caricature of him hung on a wall by the front door: a shirtless Grijalva, at the beach, admiring a sandcastle he has built with Lynn Woolsey and Debbie Wasserman Schultz. None of them see the menacing gang of senators marching their way. In the unsubtle tradition of political cartoons, the sandcastle spells out PUBLIC OPTION. The cartoon, fittingly, has been taken down before tonight. "We're commiserating and celebrating," says Grijalva, whose mood is leaning heavily toward the former.

The Senate hooligans depicted in the cartoon had co-conspirators. Democrats in both chambers let the sand castle get smashed, each blaming the other. The Democrats celebrating their victory in the bar tonight are of a decidedly conservative variety, the result of a conscious strategy to move the party to the right in order to take back the House and pad the majority. They may be the ones partying, but it's Grijalva and his progressive allies who are picking up the tab.

Post subject: Re: Power Struggle
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Republicans and the Blue Dog Democrats didn't want to get anything done about health care, hiding behind their sanctimonious chant of "too costly." This way, they managed to stay on the fringes of the conservative Dems and still satisfy their Repub supporters, as in the case of my representative, Heath Shuler. I got a long, form letter from him trying to explain why he'd voted no. His rambling and unconvincing explanation reminded me of Captain Lord of the Californian trying to explain why he didn't steam over to the big ship throwing up flares on the night of April 14, 1912.

The health care reform bill isn't perfect by a long shot, but it's a START...and that's why I support it. Making that first move by Captain Lord would have saved thousands of lives on the sinking Titanic. Instead of doing that, taking a few risks, and moving slowly, he stayed put, wallowing in the icy waters of the North Atlantic. We all know what happened as a result of his doing nothing. Is that what is going to happen to our nation when it comes to health care for its citizens? Do we want to allow our elected leaders to "wallow" in the security of their own guaranteed health care insurance while thousands of us, the people they were elected to serve, die because we can't afford the soaring costs of getting sick? Do we let ignorance and suspicion rule the day? Do we let idiots like Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck, and Rush Limibaugh make policy for millions of Americans? I hope not.

Nothing worth having is easily attained, and our nation had tried to do something about health care for far too long without success. It's a START...and now I'd like to see the lawmakers ge t on with making it work.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:08 am 
Hear Me Roar!

I think what will work is public pressure. This can be in the form of volunteers, dollars, and other factors that matter to candidates.

In the end, we can chose to support or not support candidates. Perhaps progressives should make sure that we are not taken for granted by our representatives.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:51 am 

But don't you guys know, the American public doesn't want health care...at least that's what fox news tells me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:34 am 

will in chicago wrote:
I think what will work is public pressure. This can be in the form of volunteers, dollars, and other factors that matter to candidates.

In the end, we can chose to support or not support candidates. Perhaps progressives should make sure that we are not taken for granted by our representatives.

If one lives in a red state/district they could care less about you. John McCain is getting serious competition in the primary this year, each side trying to prove they’re more wacko conservative than the other. Public pressure cannot overcome the millions being poured in by corporate interests.

As for being a liberal, I now know what it must have been like for the African-American voter all these years. I must choose a pale imitation of true progressivism (read here someone calling themselves Democrat), because no viable alternative exists.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
If one lives in a red state/district they could care less about you.

Correct, APL...and I think you, lefty, and I all live in red states, or at least in the portion that is red. My area went more purple in the 2008 election, but now it's bright red and mostly because the majority of the population sits every day listening to Limbaugh, Beck, and Palin...among conservative others. They're too ignorant to realize that these people will say anything for attention and money. To them, Glenn Beck is Messiah and Sarah Palin is Sister. :roll:

I saw an old woman driving a huge SUV on Friday. On her back and side windows were huge American flags and large round signs saying "9/12." She belongs to a group of people who want to return to the way things were on 9/12/01...She's probably got Medicare and her own private supplemental insurance...she could barely see out of her car in order to drive it.

Another car was sitting in the parking lot of the rehab center where I went on Friday for physical therapy (minor shoulder injury). It was plastered with stickers saying 'YOU LIE!" NO HEALTH CARE! NRA MEMBER! NOOBAMA! I wish I could have found out who the owner was, because he or she was probably in there using his or her Medicare benefits. :!:

My car with its OBAMA/BIDEN sticker really stood out...and it's RED! :P :P :mrgreen:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:36 pm 

McCain TV Spot Attacking Primary Opponent

It is little wonder why people are starting to lump Arizona with Alaska and the South.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

...I watched Rachel Maddow last night. On this show, she was exposing the tea party activities of the REPUB governor and attorney general of Virginia. I continue to just shake my head at how far to the right Virginia has gone in the last several years. VA used to be a state with culture and reasonably intelligent politicians. Not any more...The AG is going to be appearing with a faith healer this week...and that woman makes Sarah Palin look sane! :shock: Rachel played a segment of her pacing up and down on a stage while she screeched into a microphone about healing and God was going to take away all the illnesses of those attending...I'd never seen such a display of weird behavior since George W. Bush tried to think of any mistakes he'd made as president.

Yet, the AG of VA wants to "repeal" the new health care reform bill...while he attends faith healing meetings. Incredible! All for attention and possible political gain in the bizarre base of the Republican party...and nothing for the real people. VA needs to say to its governor and AG to get to work doing the business of the state rather than campaigning, but it's also about trying to work against Obama and anything he stands for.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

VIRGINIA DOES IT AGAIN!

Virginia DMV Pulls License Plate Coded With Neo-Nazi Message From Truck With Anti-Islam Imagery

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:25 am 

Catherine wrote:

Go to the link and read the priceless comments.