It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weep, don't cry... it's not worth it.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:37 am 

I hope Susie of Crooks & Liars will allow me to post her story here. It is so important to learn our President is so crooked, that he will allow a secret agenda to be put in play to cut Social Security and Medicare.

Just read, weep, don't cry.

July 18, 2011 07:00 AM
Last Year, America Spoke Loud and Clear. We Still Haven't Changed Our Minds: Tax The Rich, Cut Defense Spending!
By Susie Madrak

A little more than a year ago, I attended the AmericaSpeaks town hall, which was billed as an opportunity for Americans to have their say in the America's budget decisions. I was so impressed by how informed and assertive my fellow Americans were about standing up for other people, and that's what I wrote.

What I didn't say was how curious I was about how and why the event was put together. Yes, I knew that Pete Peterson had funded it, but who was pushing it? Who was this AmericaSpeaks group, anyway?

I talked to a knowledgeable insider (someone who'd worked on the issue for decades), and he told me AmericaSpeaks didn't initiate the project - it came from the White House. In fact, he told me, Austen Goolsbee had been tasked by the White House with bringing public opinion in line with supporting cuts to Social Security and Medicare.

I didn't write about it then because my source wasn't willing to go on the record. But under the current circumstances, I thought I'd tell readers, and remind you all to take what you hear about the need to cut these programs with a very large grain of salt.

And by the way? People's opinions on what to cut haven't changed!

For the first time in a long time, I might have some faith in America. Because no matter how many times the facilitators of this event (which was funded heavily by Pete Peterson, the conservative billionaire who wants to cut Social Security) tried to steer us toward cutting Social Security and Medicare, the 3500 or so people who took part in this national town hall weren’t buying it. Sure, there were Fox News junkies here and there, and some cautious, low-information voters who kinda-sorta disagreed, but the majority who attended seemed to have their own ideas about how to solve the deficit “problem.”

You know what most of them wanted to do? Soak the rich — and cut defense spending. (Are you listening, President Obama?) I thought maybe it was just my table, but when they tabulated the results, it was pretty much the same throughout the crowded ballroom of several hundred attendees. (Whew!)

And the national tabulation from the 19 cities across the country showed pretty similiar results. In fact, the only places in which it varied from a progressive agenda were on more complex, less familiar topics like the tax deductions businesses take to keep jobs in this country. (“They leave anyway!” my tablemates exclaimed.)That, in spite of a pretty sophisticated, full-scale marketing push.

When you arrived, you were given a glossy information packet and asked to fill out a questionnaire about core values. Now, clearly this approach had been focus-grouped, because the common theme seized on by the moderators was our desire to leave a better world for the next generation. (Apparently they thought this would translate to a spirit of self-sacrifice. Hah!)

When we talked about the economic recovery, I said the deficit had nothing to do with it. “It’s only a ‘crisis’ when the GOP is out of power and they want to cut entitlements,” I said. “The top economists are all saying you don’t worry about the deficit in a major recession, so why would we even accept this premise?” (I think I made our facilitator nervous. So did the guy who said he was worried about a double-dip recession.) It was also a happy moment when we pointed out that they forgot to include the possibility of cutting the estate tax in their budget estimates. That, and the loud snickers throughout the room when our hosts showed a video starring Kent Conrad and Judd Gregg.)

Even more heartening, though, was how carefully people looked at the questions. You know what else they said? They’d rather see no cuts at all in any social programs than give Congress the go-ahead to slash them. They don’t trust them to look out for the interests of the vulnerable over the corporate interests. (Hell, one guy at my table even quoted Karl Marx! “Shouldn’t matter who said it if it’s a good idea,” he said.)

You know what everyone said they supported instead of Medicare cuts? Medicare for all! In fact, people wanted to spend more money on all social programs!

Continue reading »
http://crooksandliars.com/susie-madrak/ ... still-have

Post subject: Re: Weep, don't cry... it's not worth it.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I remember how gullible the American people were after 9/11 and how the Bush admin used that gullibility to advance their agenda, including making us believe that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction, making us approve, for awhile anyway, the invasion of Iraq, and ultimately trying to privatize Social Security. But, even Bush didn't succeed at that.

Quote:
Medicare for all!

And why not? It would be an excellent way to provide health care for all...let everyone pay into it, and I do mean EVERYONE.

And has anyone ever wondered why there's never any mention of taking a close look at what doctors charge and if these charges are actually "fair and balanced?" Are hospital personnel being paid too much, particularly hospital administrators? What is the average salary of a medical doctor in the US? I'd like to have the health coverage our reps in DC get...what is good enough for our servants should be good enough for us, right?

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman