It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rachel Maddow: "Mitt Romney has a tell."
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:57 pm 
Deal With It!

Rachel Maddow: "Mitt Romney has a tell."

Aug 04, 2012
by hungrycoyote

At the end of Thursday night's show, Rachel Maddow had a teaser about a piece of video that hadn't been seen in 10 years. I posted the teaser as an update to the diary about Wednesday's night's show (Rachel Maddow Helps President Obama Expose Romney's Achilles’ Heel), where Rachel showed us how Mitt Romney was caught lying during his 2002 run for Governor of Massachusetts. Here's the video clip Rachel was talking about.

(Video of Sept 24, 2002, debate) Question: You have refused to release your income tax forms even though others, including Governor William Weld, U.S. Senator John Kerry, and your opponent, Shannon O'Brien, released theirs. Do you have something to hide?

Mitt Romney (laughing): I believe very deeply in my personal privacy, what little amount there's left. And in this case, you've made a couple exceptions from your list. Senator Kennedy, when I was running against him, "Boy," I told him, "you've got to release those income tax returns of yours." And he said, "No, I value my privacy." And I think he was right, and I was wrong. As a result, I do share his view on this. I'm not going to release my income tax returns. And Shannon O'Brien's husband, with whom I presume they share expenses, likewise hasn't reduced, excuse me, released his income taxes.

One thing I noticed, that Rachel never mentioned in Friday night's show, was that correction at the end: "And Shannon O'Brien's husband, with whom I presume they share expenses, likewise hasn't reduced, excuse me, released his income taxes." Am I being too cynical, or does that look like some sort of Freudian slip? Now that you've seen the promised clip, I will try to explain how it fits into the narrative of the hypocrisy Mitt Romney has been practicing ever since his first foray into an attempt to take public office in 1994, when he ran against Ted Kennedy trying to claim Kennedy's Senate seat.

Rachel dedicated nearly the entire first half hour of Friday night's The Rachel Maddow Show to examining Mitt Romney and how he has been dancing around releasing his income taxes since that 1994 race. There was so much information to share, that Rachel divided it into two segments with a commercial break in between. The first segment reviewed what has been happening this week with what Harry Reid said about Mitt Romney having paid no taxes for ten years, wanting to know what Romney is hiding, and the ensuing firestorm.

MORE: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/08/0 ... has-a-tell

Post subject: Re: Rachel Maddow: "Mitt Romney has a tell."
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep, Romney has a "tell" all right....check out the report below. IT IS A PRIME EXAMPLE OF THE QUOTE I USE AS MY SIGNATURE!

BAIN'S BLOOD MONEY

In 1983, Bill Bain asked Mitt Romney to launch Bain Capital, a private equity offshoot of the successful consulting firm Bain & Company. After some initial reluctance, Romney agreed. The new job came with a stipulation: Romney couldn't raise money from any current clients, Bain said, because if the private equity venture failed, he didn't want it taking the consulting firm down with it.

When Romney struggled to raise funds from other traditional sources, he and his partners started thinking outside the box. Bain executive Harry Strachan suggested that Romney meet with a group of Central American oligarchs who were looking for new investment vehicles as turmoil engulfed their region.

Romney was worried that the oligarchs might be tied to "illegal drug money, right-wing death squads, or left-wing terrorism," Strachan later told a Boston Globe reporter, as quoted in the 2012 book "The Real Romney." But, pressed for capital, Romney pushed his concerns aside and flew to Miami in mid-1984 to meet with the Salvadorans at a local bank.

It was a lucrative trip. The Central Americans provided roughly $9 million -- 40 percent -- of Bain Capital's initial outside funding, the Los Angeles Times reported recently. And they became valued clients.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman