It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Suicide at Ground Zero Because of Election
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ground Zero Suicide Driven by Election

NEW YORK - A 25-year-old man from Georgia who was apparently distraught over President Bush (news - web sites)'s re-election shot and killed himself at ground zero. Andrew Veal's body was found Saturday morning inside the off-limits site, said Steve Coleman, a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. A shotgun was found nearby, but no suicide note was found, Coleman said.

Veal's mother said her son was upset about the result of the presidential election and had driven to New York, Gus Danese, president of the Port Authority Police Benevolent Association, told The New York Times in Sunday's editions.

Friends said Veal worked in a computer lab at the University of Georgia and was planning to marry.

"I'm absolutely sure it's a protest," Mary Anne Mauney, Veal's supervisor at the lab, told The Daily News. "I don't know what made him commit suicide, but where he did it was symbolic."

Police were investigating how Veal entered the former World Trade Center site, which is protected by high fences and owned by the Port Authority.

www.yahoo.com

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:45 pm 

I feel sorry for him, unless he had some type of medication he was taking, I have no why idea why somewone would commit suicide over an election. He now has probably devastated is fiance as well as his family. Did he leave any type of note?

JR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Josef..hello...

I think a note was found but whether or not it's been made public I do not know. The last report I heard was that he was also having an affair with one girl while being engaged to another, and had been troubled about that. Whatever the story is, his death reminded me of the monks who would burn themselves to death to protest the Vietnam war back in the late 60s.

What I have discovered is that he came from a town that is about 3 hours south of where I live!

His mother was just destroyed, of course, as were the other members of his family, and what effect did it have on Geoge Bush...absolutely none at all.

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:42 pm 

There have been many close elections in the past and I wonder if there have been other suicides which have never come to the attention of the public. I personally think that the suicide effect had as much effect on Bush as it had on Kerry, which is not much. It probably generally didn't effect any politicians at all, or most people. A shame though.

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

:D

You're probably right, Joe...although I'd bet Kerry would be more effected than Bush would. Kerry is a much more sensitive man than Bush is, although being a politician in and of itself means he's got to move in circles we the people only see on television or read about. Of course, we support them with our tax money!

Remember, Bush doesn't read the newspapers, and his handlers try to protect him from anything that would be construed as being "against" him. I remember reading about many people from the South committing suicide after the Civil War, and of course there is the famous Goebbels family suicide at the end of World War 2...

Wow, that man has a rude awakening coming one of these days! He lives in a netherworld of fantasy and half-truths, all spoonfed to him by Karl Rove and Dick Cheney.

I bet Bush sucks his thumb at night!

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:20 pm 

Catherine wrote:
:D

You're probably right, Joe...although I'd bet Kerry would be more effected than Bush would. Kerry is a much more sensitive man than Bush is, although being a politician in and of itself means he's got to move in circles we the people only see on television or read about. Of course, we support them with our tax money!

Remember, Bush doesn't read the newspapers, and his handlers try to protect him from anything that would be construed as being "against" him. I remember reading about many people from the South committing suicide after the Civil War, and of course there is the famous Goebbels family suicide at the end of World War 2...

Wow, that man has a rude awakening coming one of these days! He lives in a netherworld of fantasy and half-truths, all spoonfed to him by Karl Rove and Dick Cheney.

I bet Bush sucks his thumb at night!

Catherine

Catherine,

I know we are getting slightly of topic now, however, I throw most people in the same catagory of, 'I don't care, it doesn't effect me'. I wouldn't know whether Kerry is a much more sensitive man than Bush, wealthy people generally do not care much, no matter what they say. And remember Kerry married a billionaire. I saw a list a couple of weeks ago, just before the election of where the Kerry\Heinz businesses were located and most of them were overseas in lower cost areas. Which I thought was quite interesting considering what he said about jobs moving overseas under the NAFTA plan which was implemented under President Clinton not President Bush. It is more important what people do than what they say. I think that most if not all wealthy people, expecially those in politics really don't have any idea what it is to be middle class. Just remember all of them have 'handlers' and live as you would say, 'in a world of fantasy and half truths.' It's not just on one side, but any of the political groups. They all have an agenda.
For most of my life I used to be one that did not have much sensitivity for the problems of others, as I thought most people caused their own problems, which I still believe, however I understand much more than I used to. In the last ten years things have happened in my life which have adjusted that thought pattern quite dramatically. But that is for another time.

Best Regards,

Joe