It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Sovereignty of Nations
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:26 pm 
Involved
Involved

If I recall correctly from my history courses in school, the nation-state as we know it, did not come into being until about the 1200's or thereabouts.
One of the prime concepts of a nation state is that whatever goes on within that nation's borders is that nation's business.

While promoting democracy I believe may be laudable, I do not believe we have the right to ram it down the throats of others. Nations are sovereign and therefore, their affairs should be their problems ( or should it)?

For the most part, I believe we should stay out of everyone's business except if we are asked by the nation effected to come in and give a hand. What may well work as a constitutional republic one place may be a failure elsewhere. I believe we should not go anywhere unilaterally. Although I admit sometimes it riles me to no end when I see tens of thousands of people killed s what is happening in Africa. I want to go in there and knock some of these jerks upside the head. Yet is it our business? Think of it this way. Supposed Russia told us that they were unhappy with the lot of the American Indian and demanded that we immediately improve their life. What would the U.S. government do or think?

I don't mind spreading democracy by example but I have a problem with it being done by force.

ollie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:14 am 
Lots to Say
Lots to Say

" Supposed Russia told us that they were unhappy with the lot of the American Indian and demanded that we immediately improve their life. What would the U.S. government do or think? "

Aren't the Native American Indians already getting some kind of U.S. government funding because of what's happened in the past to them?

Totally off topic I know, but has anyone seen the movie Soldier Blue?
I had to get a copy from Canada because I'm pretty sure they're trying to abolish it here. Typical of the U.S. God forbid the truth be told.

I'm against force also but aint that what dictators (like bush-it) are all about?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Aren't the Native American Indians already getting some kind of U.S. government funding because of what's happened in the past to them?

Totally off topic I know, but has anyone seen the movie Soldier Blue?
I had to get a copy from Canada because I'm pretty sure they're trying to abolish it here. Typical of the U.S. God forbid the truth be told.

I'm against force also but aint that what dictators (like bush-it) are all about?

Native Americans were mainly treated the way they were in our nation's past because they had something the whites wanted, particularly land, and especially when that land contained gold or silver.

http://www.doi.gov/bureau-indian-affairs.html

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/9118/ (excellent site)

http://www.fcnl.org/issues/issue.php?issue_id=95

It's always been that way. The Native Americans were duped in so many ways by the US government. Unfortunately, many of those ways are the same ways the Bushies have used to dupe the Red State residents, using religion (which is really just a form of mind control, IMO) and the fear factor.

Fear is a powerful political tool...Karl Rove knows that and has used it along with religion to overpower the intellect of half the nation. Fear is not a newly invented political tool of the Republicans, though. Both parties used it in the 2004 presidential campaign.

http://www.spiked-online.com/Articles/0000000CA760.htm

Remember those "terror alerts" from Tom Ridge? Remember how Bush says he's doing "God's Work?" Bush likes for non-thinking Americans to see him as the protective father, the one standing between them and annihilation. Andrew Jackson, for example, was the Great White Father in Washington, as the Native Americans were taught to view the president of that time. The NAs were under much of the same kind of influence as those who see Bush as a protective figure today.

(Did you know that Adolph Hitler studied and was vastly impressed with the way the United States government "rounded up" the Cherokee and held them in forts before moving them west to Oklahoma on what became known as the Trail of Tears? Hitler put the knowledge gained from his study to "good" use...creating concentration camps. Sorry...don't have a ready source available for that info, but I will find it asap.)

The Native Americans can be excused for their ignorance...they were like children when it came to trying to understand what the US government was telling them.

In the sites I listed for you, Raviolee, there should be some information about government interaction with Native Americans.

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman