It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: When It's Personal, the Right Veers Left!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ellis Henican: 'When it's personal, the right veers left'
Sunday, February 13 @ 09:04:14 EST
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Ellis Henican, Newsday

Nancy Reagan supports stem-cell research after her Ronnie gets sick.

Dick Cheney opposes the gay-marriage ban after his daughter comes out.

Rush Limbaugh is suddenly an advocate of treatment - not prison - for people addicted to narcotics. Oh, I almost forgot: The epiphany comes while Rush is being investigated for drugs.

The list goes on and on: prominent conservative figures, forced to question some sweeping social principle, after being rudely interrupted by the messy realities of life.

Ain't personal experience just the worst?

There used to be a joke about liberals.

Q: What's a conservative?

A: A liberal who's been mugged.

Well, somebody probably ought to dream up a corollary or two.

Q: What's a liberal on stem-cell research?

A: A conservative with a family member who is ill.

Q: What's a liberal on homosexual rights?

A: A conservative with a gay kid.

There's no end to the potential variations. I could easily give you a hundred more. Instead, I'll introduce you to the Rev. Norman Kansfield, age 64, who has just been ousted as president of the New Brunswick Theological Seminary in New Jersey.

He too came face-to-face with life.

A self-described "conservative theologian," Reverend Kansfield is one of the most prominent and respected figures in the Reformed Church in America, which is itself one of the more conservative denominations in the National Council of Churches.

But just like many of us, Reverend Kansfield has people he cares about in life, including a lovely daughter named Anne.

Anne - there is no reason to get wobbly with the facts here - is gay. And this past summer, she and her partner of many years, a woman named Jennifer Aull, decided to marry in Massachusetts, the first state in the nation where same-sex couples may legally wed.

But Anne Kansfield isn't just a gay woman. She also is the daughter of a minister. And she did what minister's daughters have done for centuries when they are prepared to marry.

She asked her dad to officiate.

After some reflection, her father agreed. "We're a family that talks over major issues," he told The Star-Ledger of New Jersey. "I really very much wanted to do this. Anne and Jennifer consented."

Reverend Kansfield has had close gay friends since high school and his early days as a minister in Queens.

He was confident, he said, that he wasn't doing anything to hurt the church he loved. "People presume I have been on a crusade," he said. "In point of fact, I'm a conservative theologian. I would not do anything that goes against the church."

He mentioned his plans to the seminary board before the wedding. He didn't seek their permission, exactly. But he made certain not to hide. Apparently, no one raised much of an objection at the time. But obviously someone noticed.

When his contract came up for renewal, he was unceremoniously canned.

And what high principle did the seminary board act upon? The high principle of nervous public perception, it seems.

"We decided that the president had put the seminary in an awkward position," said the Rev. Larry Williams Sr., a seminary board member. "It could have hurt the school if it divided people in our student body, if it divided our faculty, if it divided other people who support us."

And so New Brunswick Theological Seminary is soon to be without its president.

The Rev. Norman Kansfield is soon to be without a job.

His daughter got a bride out of the bargain.

And American conservatives got another principled soldier who had learned a lesson from life.

There's more trouble to come.

The Reformed Church in America, which traces its roots back 400 years to the Dutch, will convene a General Synod in Schenectady in June.

The main order of business?

Formal charges against this conservative man of faith who loved his daughter - and loved that she loved someone else.

Yes, life can be messy that way.

Deep in their hearts, I'll bet Nancy, Dick and Rush would understand.

Email: henican@newsday.com

Link:
Reprinted from Newsday:
http://www.newsday.com/news/opinion/columnists/
ny-nyhen134144363feb13,0,3559742.column

:P

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:54 pm 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

Oh, I can think of another - the opinionated 1980s and early 1990s talkshow and all-around media pundant favorate, Phyllis Schafly.

You don't see her much on tv railing against everything conservatives claim is evil. Remember how during the Reagan and Bush 41 years she was constantly on tv apposing abortion and "alternative lifestyles"? Well, then a funny thing happened - HER SON WAS OUTED! It was known that he was gay and he did not try to hide it but Phyllis did as it didn't play well with her conservative values.

Where is Phyllis now? You don't see her much on tv or talkinghead shows spouting off. I wonder why?

"It's Not What You Are, It's What People Think You Are"

If We Don't Ask, We Can't Learn" & "If We Don't Learn, We Can't Grow"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Matt....I don't remember her...please tell me more! (I was too busy during those years with a very young family and a teaching career, so I did not watch television much at all.)

I think it would be interesting if others reading these posts can think of other times when the media opinionated had to eat their words. :D

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:19 am 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

Catherine:

Here is pic of the old boob:

Here is her bio & some pics of her @ The Eagle Forum:
http://www.eagleforum.org/misc/bio.html

I forgot which of the sons is gay but one of them is and was outed in the early 1990s.

Last edited by MattLiarLauer on Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good grief...this old broad got caught in a time warp for sure, Matt. Good thing she wasn't around in the days of Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony...they'd have tarred, feathered, and ridden her out of the country on a rail.

Are you sure she's not Jerry Falwell in drag? :twisted:

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Dick, Lynn & Allan NOT Comfortable w/That Gay Stuff
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:57 am 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

Dick Gephart is proud of his lesbian daughter and her partner.

Barney Frank is a proud gay man serving in Congress.

Both are Democrats
-----------------------
However, on the otherside of the aisle:

Dick & Lynn Cheney are proud of lesbian daughter Candace but don't want to publicly speak about her and don't want others like Sen John Kerry (who Lynn claimed was engaging in "gutter politics") to mention her or her sexuality in a debate where sexuality and same-sex marriage are discussed). In otherwords, they love her but it's all a personal family thing and they don't want to talk about or be asked about her sexuality or anything "homosexual" AT ALL.

Now comes the daughter of Allan Keyes, the former last minute Repub Sen candidate from IL who replaced the scandalized Jack Ryan after it was revealed he wanted his wife (Geri "7of9" Ryan) to go to sexclubs and have sex with him while others watched.. Well, Allan's daughter has come out and Alllan IS NOT happy about it and she IS NOT happy about his views on her sexualtiy or anybody elses sexuality.

Well, Allan may be consistant in his ignorant views but he is still just as much a hypocrite as Dick & Lynn Cheney!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Being a hypocrite is a requirement if you want to hitch a ride with the Republican party of Georgy Boy.

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman