It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Closer and closer to World War III
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:54 pm 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

Closer and closer to World War III

MIDDLEEAST.ORG - MER - Washington - 19 February: Some kind of World War III seems to get closer and closer by the crisis, by the fear, and by the new high-tech as well as low-tech weapons. If and when it fully erupts it won't necessarily be a take-off on previous wars; the world has changed considerably since World War II and the Cold War with all of its sub-hot-wars that came close but never did result in nuclear war. It's only 60 years since the fire-bombings of Dresden and the atomic bombings of Japan. It's only 43 years since the Cuban Missile Crisis and only 33 since the Middle East War that brought about the 'nuclear alert'.

It was just two years ago that no less than Walter Cronkite, long known as the most credible man in America and for those too young to remember long-time anchor of the CBS Evening News, publicly warned that World War III was approaching. Not long thereafter one of the most senior Generals long-associated with Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon warned a synagogue audience in off-the-record remarks that he was sure World War III was coming and everyone better prepare. Both of these warnings were featured and explained by MER at the time; neither was seriously reported in the Washington Post or New York Times or PBS News Hour.

The evangelical American President is off to Europe declaring he will seek support for his policies toward Iran, Syria, and in fact against all who are not with the U.S. and Israel in what is their New World Order crusade. While they try to mask this imperial NWO with simple-minded trademark rhetorical excuses -- 'the war on terrorism' and 'democracy and freedom' -- much of the world isn't buying, no matter how much 'shock and awe' propaganda the Americans finance and the Israelis push.

It didn't take long at all after the Bush/Cheney/Neocon election (some would say selection) for the tensions with Iran and Syria to be considerably escalated and a new pre-war climate established. The Americans and the Israelis are determined that only they will have a monopoly on weapons of mass destruction in the Middle East; that on top of course of overwhelming advantages when it comes to spying and propanganda, as well as massive economic and political power.

In rapid successor of late, the Iranians have been quite publicly targeted, Rafik Hariri was so visibly assassinated after Arafat's 'stealth assasination, the Americans are close to breaking diplomatic relations with Syria, another false 'peace process roadmap' has been temporarily resuscitated in the Holy Land, and Damascus and Tehran have declared a 'Common Front' appealing to others to come to their assistance. Meanwhile as well arms sales from the U.S. and Europe to Israel and other American allies continue to escalate while pressures and calculated threats against all potential opponents, including China, are growing.

When it comes to what is still called by some American 'journalism' -- even as it continually escalates to more naked jingoism and propaganda -- it's bad enough what comes these days from The Washington Post, the New York Times, and the TV networks especially still ascending FOX. But when it comes to war-mongering and whipping up fears The Washington Times -- closely aligned as it is with the neocons, the Evangelicals, and the Zionists -- is always out there on top of things as the first two articles that follow demonstrate. After that The Guardian as usual puts things in greater perspective.

Traude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:33 pm 

Just what, exactly, can we do about WWIII?

We are warned, but we can never be ready.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:02 am 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

I'm afraid you're on to something here. Please see my posts under Current Events, "Who Lost Russia, China, etc. ....

If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess freedom and yet deprecate agitation, want crops without plowing and rain without thunder. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will. - Frederick Douglass

Post subject: Scott Ritter Says U.S. Plans June Attack On Iran
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:31 pm 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

Scott Ritter Says U.S. Plans June Attack On Iran
‘COOKED’ JAN. 30 IRAQI ELECTION RESULTS

By Mark Jensen

02/19/05 --United for Peace of Pierce County (WA) - - Scott Ritter, appearing with journalist Dahr Jamail yesterday in Washington State, dropped two shocking bombshells in a talk delivered to a packed house in Olympia’s Capitol Theater. The ex-Marine turned UNSCOM weapons inspector said that George W. Bush has "signed off" on plans to bomb Iran in June 2005, and claimed the U.S. manipulated the results of the recent Jan. 30 elections in Iraq.

Olympians like to call the Capitol Theater "historic," but it's doubtful whether the eighty-year-old edifice has ever been the scene of more portentous revelations.

The principal theme of Scott Ritter's talk was Americans’ duty to protect the U.S. Constitution by taking action to bring an end to the illegal war in Iraq. But in passing, the former UNSCOM weapons inspector stunned his listeners with two pronouncements. Ritter said plans for a June attack on Iran have been submitted to President George W. Bush, and that the president has approved them. He also asserted that knowledgeable sources say U.S. officials "cooked" the results of the Jan. 30 elections in Iraq.

On Iran, Ritter said that President George W. Bush has received and signed off on orders for an aerial attack on Iran planned for June 2005. Its purported goal is the destruction of Iran’s alleged program to develop nuclear weapons, but Ritter said neoconservatives in the administration also expected that the attack would set in motion a chain of events leading to regime change in the oil-rich nation of 70 million -- a possibility Ritter regards with the greatest skepticism.

The former Marine also said that the Jan. 30 elections, which George W. Bush has called "a turning point in the history of Iraq, a milestone in the advance of freedom," were not so free after all. Ritter said that U.S. authorities in Iraq had manipulated the results in order to reduce the percentage of the vote received by the United Iraqi Alliance from 56% to 48%.

Asked by UFPPC's Ted Nation about this shocker, Ritter said an official involved in the manipulation was the source, and that this would soon be reported by a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist in a major metropolitan magazine -- an obvious allusion to New Yorker reporter Seymour M. Hersh.

On Jan. 17, the New Yorker posted an article by Hersh entitled The Coming Wars (New Yorker, January 24-31, 2005). In it, the well-known investigative journalist claimed that for the Bush administration, "The next strategic target [is] Iran." Hersh also reported that "The Administration has been conducting secret reconnaissance missions inside Iran at least since last summer." According to Hersh, "Defense Department civilians, under the leadership of Douglas Feith, have been working with Israeli planners and consultants to develop and refine potential nuclear, chemical-weapons, and missile targets inside Iran. . . . Strategists at the headquarters of the U.S. Central Command, in Tampa, Florida, have been asked to revise the military’s war plan, providing for a maximum ground and air invasion of Iran. . . . The hawks in the Administration believe that it will soon become clear that the Europeans’ negotiated approach [to Iran] cannot succeed, and that at that time the Administration will act."

Scott Ritter said that although the peace movement failed to stop the war in Iraq, it had a chance to stop the expansion of the war to other nations like Iran and Syria. He held up the specter of a day when the Iraq war might be remembered as a relatively minor event that preceded an even greater conflagration.

Scott Ritter's talk was the culmination of a long evening devoted to discussion of Iraq and U.S. foreign policy. Before Ritter spoke, Dahr Jamail narrated a slide show on Iraq focusing on Fallujah. He showed more than a hundred vivid photographs taken in Iraq, mostly by himself. Many of them showed the horrific slaughter of civilians.

Dahr Jamail argued that U.S. mainstream media sources are complicit in the war and help sustain support for it by deliberately downplaying the truth about the devastation and death it is causing.

Jamail was, until recently, one of the few unembedded journalists in Iraq and one of the only independent ones. His reports have gained a substantial following and are available online at dahrjamailiraq.com.

Friday evening's event in Olympia was sponsored by South Puget Sound Community College's Student Activities Board, Veterans for Peace, 100 Thousand and Counting, Olympia Movement for Justice & Peace, and United for Peace of Pierce County.

Mark Jensen is a member of United for Peace of Pierce County. http://www.ufppc.org/

Copyright © Mark Jensen. All rights reserved

Why are US military nurses being moved from Walter Reed to Iraq?
They are due to arrive for duty in May.

Anyone anymore questions?

Traude

Post subject: Old BBS Comments ...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:23 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I remember awhile ago when I was on a certain BBS, a guy was always posting / saying - Nuke Iran now, before they Nuke us. I've heard this said elsewhere since. What is wrong with these people? Once the nukes start going up, there will be no stopping it. Atleast I don't think so and it could be then end of us all.

Sir...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:44 pm 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

Sir-Irate,

I don't know what's wrong with these people.
I still believe in the maxim "live and let live" but with that I seem to belong to a dwindling species.
What happened to the simple brotherliness? Has it too fallen victim to the New World Order together with the truth?

BTW, do you happen to know the dominating wind directions in Iran by chance?
But I guess they wouldn't bother either way.

Traude

Post subject: Sad story ...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:54 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

If it happens, I don't think they'll be any survivors. Even if they are, the fallout will get them in time. If it happens on a large scale, I hope I go quick in the first blast.

Than again ...

Is all this just more beating of that ever thundering fear drum?

The news hardly ever mentions peace and working things out. Where are all those big anti-war writers / reporters in the big media outlets? How many times do we hear the word "peace" mentioned on the news in the run of one week. I mean in a positive manner?

Oh and I feel the same way "live and let live."

Speaking of Anti-War, I read / own the book - War is a Racket by Smedley D. Butler. It's an old book written during the Depression. I've read others to and I must say .. War truly is a racket.

From the book:

"I spent 33 years in the Marines, most of the time being a high-class muscle man for big business, for Wall Street and the Bankers. In short, I was a racketeer for Capitalism. ~ Brrigadier General: Smedley D. Butler

From the book:

"WAR is a racket. It always has been. It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives." ~ Brrigadier General: Smedley D. Butler

Sir...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

War is Big Bidness...Good for Bidness...and that's the bottom line.

Have you ever seen and/or heard so many angry people as are in America who support GWB?

Everyone wants to feel that POWER of PRIDE. Nobody wants to think about the old adage that PRIDE GOETH BEFORE A FALL.

We have become a nation of bullies, and Big Business loves it...and we are being led by the Biggest Bully of all time..the little-big man, George W. Bush. With him as the representative, the role model, and the catalyst for the anger, there might not be a way to stop the madness at this point.

Hopefully, the end of Bush's bullying will come before a nuclear war is instigated. Maybe more and more countries will stand up to him, making him realize he can't bully the entire world.

But the more Bush struts around like Mussolini, doing all he can to intimidate and threaten, the more I"m beginning to doubt it.

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman