It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: If George Orwell was alive now
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:00 am 
Involved
Involved

:arrow: This is a response to the attempts to ban the showing of Michael Moore's " Fahrenheit 9/11". It's sad to think that in America, the professed "Land of the free and home of the brave", the most basic and inalienable freedom that Americans possess, the freedom of speech, is being challenged by various right wing conservative groups, who have proven themselves to cowardly to have the truth of their, and their party's actions revealed to the public at large. It is not acceptable to put the rights of Americans on hold for the sake of one person or group. We do not allow the rise of attempted totalitarian governments who hide their true motives behind a facade of traditional values and morality. I believe George Orwell would be laughing now, if he could watch us sink back to the "1984" version of ourselves, and he would be taking a bow as he watched the right wing thought-police try to control our actions, our thoughts, our beliefs, and even who we're allowed to love. I've got to give you credit, Mr. Orwell. You could never have known how close to perfect you had us figured out. :o :oops:
Quote:
When Fascism comes to the United States it will come wrapped in the American flag ~ Huey long

Post subject: Well Said, Mopeder
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You may have read my post about my local theatre choosing not to show Farenheit 9/11 because the manager says it would not make money for his theatre and it is of a "political nature."

Yet, he chose to show "The Passion of the Christ" for weeks. I didn't protest that because, while I'm not religious, I did not choose to go see it...my choice, my right. Others who chose to go see it, exercised their right also.

Yet, I will be driving a good distance in order to view a movie that should be my right to see at my local theatre that shows what is, in my opinion, religious mythology that was as inflammatory as anything in Michael Moore's movie.

What was the last movie "banned" at a regular cinema in America since the ratings guide of today were put into place? Could it have been Lolita or perhaps Valley of the Dolls or what?

Orwell would indeed be pleased or perhaps he'd be as shocked :shock: as Jules Verne would be if he could return and see that so much of what he had actually imagined had become fact.

At least Jules Verne's fantasy to reality advanced the cause of freedom while Orwell's fantasy to reality is suppression of freedom. Very ironic and very, very unacceptable and so easy to keep from happening any more than it already is....just defeat Bush at the polls in November...simple...easy as pie IF enough Americans of voting age take the blinders off in time to save themselves and this country.

Bush and company have nothing to use but fear itself...and they are so good at it, aren't they?

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman