It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Good Blog Link
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:38 pm 
Lots to Say
Lots to Say

I found this blog through the link of a friend's blog. It belongs to a young lady who until recently lived in Iraq before fleeing to Syria.

http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:50 am 
Lots to Say
Lots to Say

Often people tell me to read stuff and generally I do. Well, I start to, anyway. After a few paragraphs of the inner workings of some wannabe writer I start scanning down to see if they are ever going to get to the point. Even when I'm researching looking for material I always seem to end up scanning because no matter how important, how critical the information may be it has failed to engage me.

Well, this link is a first for me. It is brilliant.

It is a Blog with entries every few days from a 24 year-old Iraqi woman living in Iraq and from the first paragraph, I couldn't stop reading it. It begins in the mid-2003 and the last entry is in late 2007 when she and her family escaped to Syria. It has a 'Diary of Anne Frank' feel to it but better written and with a professional adult understanding of the day to day events. It is something extremely rare on the net - she is a world class writer and I do one day expect to see this on a best seller list. Her understanding of Western metaphor and her command of English is unparalelled and she demonstrates the prime directive for activism - don't preach, entertain.

The information here is gold and it's going to take me weeks to read but I am enjoying every minute of it. Her intelligence and her ability to appeal to the humanity in us all is heart-wrenching and it certainly makes a mockery of 'Iraq's reconstruction', the 'Extremists' and the governing council and the endless mistakes being made.

I recommend this as a source, as a reference, as something that needs to be preserved and spread, and as a damn good read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Very glad you've found a good blog that you like here at TVNL DJ.

This forum is one of my favorites because it enables me to keep up with all kinds of sources of information and links. :D

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman