It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 13-Story Mosque To Be Built Near World Trade Center Site
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

13-Story Mosque To Be Built Near World Trade Center Site

:shock: :shock:

In a building damaged by debris from the Sept. 11 airliners that brought down the World Trade Center and soon to become a 13-story mosque, some see the bridging of a cultural divide and an opportunity to serve a burgeoning, peaceful religious population. Others see a painful reminder of the religious extremism that killed their loved ones.

Two Muslim organizations have partnered to open the mosque and cultural center in lower Manhattan, saying the $100 million project will create a venue for mainstream Islam and a counterbalance to radicalism. It earned a key endorsement this week from influential community leaders.

But some 9/11 victims' families said they were angered that it would be built so close to where their relatives died.

"I don't like it," said Evelyn Pettigano, who lost a sister in the attacks, during a phone interview on Thursday. "I'm not prejudiced. ... It's too close to the area where our family members were murdered."

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: 13-Story Mosque To Be Built Near World Trade Center Site
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:10 am 

As you all know, I am an atheist, so most religious people just rub me the wrong way anyhow...

But geezus, how exactly is this offensive to the victims of 9/11? I mean, there have been about, I don't know, a hundred billion horrific crimes done in the name of Christianity, but you don't find too many articles lamenting their choice of places they build churches. To me this is just proof positive that we have turned Muslims into the new 'bad guys'.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree, lefty. I see no reason to put ANYTHING of a religious nature in that special area...Churches don't pay taxes, so far as I know, and that's some of the most prime among prime real estate in the state of NY. I think ALL religions are deplorable, but would there be much hue and cry if there was, say...a Catholic church, a church of any Protestant denomination, or a Jewish synogogue being placed there? I don't like Islam either...it and Chrisitianity are among the most brutal and fanatical in their doctrines, so if something has to be built there at all, let it be a simple monument to the 9/11 attack and a beautiful park, where everybody can come and reflect on many things, up to and including their faith...or lack thereof.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:29 am 

You are so right Cat. Why a church at all? Why not build a museum?

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:26 pm 

My feelings:

1. It’s their land, let them build what they want.

2. $100 million in construction costs is many jobs, so desperately needed right now. Associated taxes with labor and materials are still required to be paid.

3. Survivors need to realize that this is an effort is to bring about understanding. It is the refusal to bridge gaps that promotes radicalization in the first place.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:13 am 
Hear Me Roar!

A Proud Liberal wrote:
My feelings:

1. It’s their land, let them build what they want.

2. $100 million in construction costs is many jobs, so desperately needed right now. Associated taxes with labor and materials are still required to be paid.

3. Survivors need to realize that this is an effort is to bring about understanding. It is the refusal to bridge gaps that promotes radicalization in the first place.

If there was ANY PROOF, any proof at all, that ANYONE, other than our government, who actually committed the murders on 911, they wouldn't have a "rat's ass chance," of building anything near/next or on "ground zero." Regardless of our constitutional laws. Not with a corporate media they wouldn't. And speaking of our corporate media...

Isn't it kinda strange, that they stuck their foot in their mouth, when covering that dreadful day on 911? (bombs going off etc.)

Now, they want to get their hands dirty again, wanting to cover the issue regarding building a place of worship next to ground zero?

That's the reason why, at least in my opinion, they portray themselves to be "on the fence," on this one.

...and I wonder why!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

And I always wondered why our Christians in the Middle East, are being shot to death?

DUH!!! :albino: :albino: :albino: