It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 20th Anniversary of Berlin Wall Fall
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:27 am 

World leaders, crowds cheer 20th anniversary of Berlin Wall fall with music and marches

BERLIN (Associated Press) --
Ulrich Sauff and his wife stared at the mammoth domino pieces marking the path where the Berlin Wall once stood and reminisced about life in the barrier's shadow.

"It was like a prison," said Sauff, 73, who lived on the Western side of the wall. "For us 'Wessis,' the few kilometers from our old home to our new home (in the East) was unthinkable.". . .

It is hard for me believe that it has actually been twenty years. My grandmother used to warn me that a united Germany if it were to happen should be a thing to fear. I wonder what she would think of an united Europe?

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject: Re: 20th Anniversary of Berlin Wall Fall
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:02 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Twenty years goes by incredibly fast now. I can remember how excited we all were that the wall was coming down, although I was battling a life-threatening disease at the time and was mainly focused on that. I regretted that the historical event happened during Reagan's presidency, which of course meant that he and the Repubs were preening and patting each other on the backs much like they've been doing ever since.

Quote:
I wonder what she would think of an united Europe?

Funny how these things come about...I wonder what would happen today IF Germany allowed another HItler to come to power? It' s not unfeasible, and who would have thought at the time that the US would ever let a Republican party become so powerful and led by men like W and Cheney and Fat Boy Rove? Who would have thought that in just twenty years, our nation would become less enlightened, less progressive, and that fear-mongering would become such a resounding success. But then, I had a lot of hope this time last year, too...and in only twelve months, I feel pretty darned hopeless again. Maybe it's not so funny after all. :cry:

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman