It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Archive of Quotes for May 2008
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:06 am 

Monthly archives contain quotes that been posted for at least one week and had no responses posted. Beginning with January's archive a tally of views of the quotes prior to being added to the archive is in this first post. Quotes that have had responses posted will be kept separately and not archived.

May
Quote—Views
1—40
2—45
3—45
4—45
5—43
6—43
7—46
8—31
9—31
10—33
11—35
12—34
13—32
14—50
15—47
16—42
17—45
18—38
19—37
20—44
21—45
22—41
23—39
24—42
25—41
26—46
27—43
28—37
29—47
30—37
31—42

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Last edited by A Proud Liberal on Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:29 am, edited 30 times in total.

Post subject: Quotes for May 1......
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:09 am 

Quotes for May 1......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Poverty "The reason we are fighting the war on drugs is because we lost the the war on poverty." — Sargent Shriver

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In May Featuring—The Rights of a Citizen in a Democracy—Abortion "Abortion is not just a women's issue." — Bob Burnett, "Why Don't Men Write About Abortion?" Common Dreams (March 29, 2006)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In May Featuring—The Conservative Impulse—Absolutes "Absolulutism means never having to say you're sorry." — Rosa Brooks, "The Dark Side of Faith," Los Angeles Times (October 1, 2005)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Baseball "His [Dwight Gooden's] reputation preceded him before he got here." — Don Mattingly, New York Yankees infielder

Liberal Quotes of the Day taken from The Best Liberal Quotes Ever: Why the Left Is Right Compiled by William P. Martin ©2004

What Liberals Believe Quotes of the Day taken from What Liberals Believe: Thousands of Quotes on Why America Needs to Be Rescued from Greedy Corporations, Homophobes, Racists, Imperialists, Xenophobes, and Religious Extremists Compiled by William P. Martin ©2008

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day taken from 1001 Dumbest Things Ever Said Edited by Steven D. Price ©2004

Post subject: Quotes for May 2......
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:11 am 

Quotes for May 2......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Power "Beware of dissipating your powers; strive constantly to concentrate them." — Johann von Goethe

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In May Featuring—The Rights of a Citizen in a Democracy—Civil Liberties "Everything we stand for is under assault in this country, and not from some outside force. Our rights, liberties and economic security are threatened by the Republican Party as it operates today." — Alec Baldwin, "We Cannot Fight Everyone," Huffington Post (April 28, 2006)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In May Featuring—The Conservative Impulse—Arrogance "How can we humans imagine that we are the crowning achievement of an Intelligent Designer?" — Caroline Arnold, "Pros and Cons, and Our National Agenda," Common Dreams (October 7, 2005)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Football "If you can't make the putts and can't get the man in from second on the bottom of the ninth, you're not going to win enough football games in this league, and that's the problem we had today." — Sam Rutigliano, Cleveland Browns coach {Maybe Sam, if you stuck to football analogies, your players might have an idea what the hell you're talking about.}

Liberal Quotes of the Day taken from The Best Liberal Quotes Ever: Why the Left Is Right Compiled by William P. Martin ©2004

What Liberals Believe Quotes of the Day taken from What Liberals Believe: Thousands of Quotes on Why America Needs to Be Rescued from Greedy Corporations, Homophobes, Racists, Imperialists, Xenophobes, and Religious Extremists Compiled by William P. Martin ©2008

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day taken from 1001 Dumbest Things Ever Said Edited by Steven D. Price ©2004

Post subject: Quotes for May 3......
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:23 am 

Quotes for May 3......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Privacy "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrumanet for the people to restrain the government—lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." — Patrick Henry

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In May Featuring—The Rights of a Citizen in a Democracy—Dignity "An employee's dignity is violated when she isn't paid a living wage, when her right to bargain collectively is not recognized, when she is forced to work overtime against her will, and when she is forced to work in unsafe conditions." — Robert Hinkley, quoted in "A Corporate Lawyer Speaks Out," Common Dreams, (March 22, 2002)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In May Featuring—The Conservative Impulse—Authoritarianism "Authoritarianism . . . constitutes the prevailing thinking and behavior among conservatives." — John Dean, Conservatives Without a Conscience (2006)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Football "He fakes a bluff." — Ron Fairly, New York Giants commentator

Post subject: Quotes for May 4......
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:28 am 

Quotes for May 4......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Progress "If there is no struggle, there is no progress." — Frederick Douglass

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In May Featuring—The Rights of a Citizen in a Democracy—Free Speech "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." — Noam Chomsky, Guardian (UK) (November 23, 1992)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In May Featuring—The Conservative Impulse—Certainty "People want certainty. The right offers it. The left doesn't. And we can't. Certainty isn't part of our package." — Rev. Clare Butterfield, "Religious Left Needn't Be Ashamed to Speak Up," Chicago Sun-Times (November 24, 2004)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Football "Men, I want you just thinking of one word all season. One word and one word only: Super Bowl." — Bill Peterson, Florida State football coach {Dumb on two counts: two words and the Super Bowl is played by professional teams not college.}

Post subject: Quotes for May 5......
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:37 am 

Quotes for May 5......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Protest "One who breaks an unjust law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for law." — Martin Luther King, Jr.

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In May Featuring—The Rights of a Citizen in a Democracy—Freedom "Liberty is always unfinished business." — American Civil Liberties Union, annual report (1955-56)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In May Featuring—The Conservative Impulse—Conformity "Has there ever been a society which has died of dissent? Several have died of conformity in our lifetime." — Jacob Bronowski, Science and Human Values (1961)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Football "He [his coach] treats us like men. He lets us wear earrings." — Torrin Polk, University of Houston receiver

Post subject: Quotes for May 6......
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:42 am 

Quotes for May 6......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Punishment "I hear much of people's calling out to punish the guilty, but very few are concerned to clear the innocent." — Daniel DeFoe

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In May Featuring—The Rights of a Citizen in a Democracy—Homeland Security "In the era when the federal government sees "homeland security" as a slogan rather than responsibility, allowing the nation's working waterfronts to be run by private firms just doesn't work." — John Nichols, "Corporate Control of Ports Is the Problem," Nation (February 21, 2006)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In May Featuring—The Conservative Impulse—Conservatism "What is it about conservative administrations that lead them into disgrace and indictment? Incompetence isn't at the core of these scandals—ideology is." — Robert L. Borosage, "Why Conservatives Can't Govern," TomPaine.com (March 19, 2007)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Football "I don't care what the tape says. I didn't say it." — Ray Malavasi, St. Louis Rams coach

Post subject: Quotes for May 7......
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:29 am 

Quotes for May 7......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Racism "Racism is man's gravest threat to man—the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason." — Abraham Joshua Heschel

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In May Featuring—The Rights of a Citizen in a Democracy—Human Rights "America did not invent human rights. In a very real sense . . . human rights invented America." — Jimmy Carter, in his farewell address (January 14, 1981)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In May Featuring—The Conservative Impulse—The Conservative Character "Too many people of a generally conservative temperament, people who value traditions, customs, and institutions, have been fooled by the current cynical use of the word "conservative" into identifying their own interests with those of the political right, which today . . . actually espouses a program of radical change." — Brooke Allen, "What Orwell Saw," Los Angeles Times (May 1, 2006)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Football "I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid." — Terry Bradshaw, player/announcer

Post subject: Quotes for May 8......
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:09 am 

Quotes for May 8......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On The Radical Right "The theocratic right's ideal is an authoritarian society where Christian men interpret God's will as law. Women are helpmates, and children are property of their parents. Earth must submit to the dominion of those to whom God has granted power. People are basically sinful, and must be restrained by harsh punitive laws. Social problems are caused by satanic conspiracies aided and abetted by liberals, homosexuals, feminists, and secular humanists." — Chip Berlet & Margaret Quigley

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In May Featuring—The Rights of a Citizen in a Democracy—Police State "Your policies in Iraq are reprehensible." — Steve Howards, to Dick Cheney. Howards was taking his eight-year-old son for a walk. The Secret Service arrested him for "assaulting" the vice president. Quoted in "Criticizing Cheney to His Face is Assault?" Progressive (October 4, 2006)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In May Featuring—The Conservative Impulse—Conservative Persecution Complex "The operative condition for the twenty-first-century American "conservative" is false indignation." — R. J. Eskow, "Pick Your Favorite Phony Conservative Outrage," Huffington Post (March 21, 2006)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Football "I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating." — Jim Finks, New Orleans Saints general manager

Post subject: Quotes for May 9......
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:42 am 

Quotes for May 9......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Rebellion & Struggle "What is a rebel? A man who says no." — Albert Camus

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In May Featuring—The Rights of a Citizen in a Democracy—Privacy "The right to be let alone—the most comprehensive of rights and the most valued by civilized men." — Louis D. Brandeis, Olmstead v. United States (1928)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In May Featuring—The Conservative Impulse—Domination "No nation can make itself secure by seeking supremacy over all others." — Kofi A. Annan, "What I've Learned," Washington Post (December 11, 2006)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Football "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is guy like Norman Einstein." — Joe Theismann, player/commentator

Post subject: Quotes for May 10......
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:37 am 

Quotes for May 10......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Religion "We are not the animal with tools or the animal with advanced language; we are the religious animal. Because we know that we are going to die, we question what life means." — Forrester Church

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In May Featuring—The Rights of a Citizen in a Democracy—Reproductive Rights "The pharmacists who want "freedom of conscience" to refuse to fill legal prescriptions for women seeking contraceptive devices are no different from the diner owners who wanted "freedom of conscience" not to serve blacks." — John Carrol, San Francisco Chronicle (April 25, 2005)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In May Featuring—The Conservative Impulse—False Piety "The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons." — Ralph Waldo Emerson, Worship in the Conduct of Life (1860)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Football "I want to rush for 1,000 or 1,500 yards, whichever comes first." — George Rogers, New Orleans Saint running back

Post subject: Quotes for May 11......
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:07 am 

Quotes for May 11......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Reproductive Rights "If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament." — Florynce Kennedy

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In May Featuring—The Rights of a Citizen in a Democracy—Same-Sex Marriage "Two gay people getting married has nothing to do with marriage as an institution. It has to do with homophobes who are so insecure about their own marriages (or sexuality) that they have to obsess over others." — Steve Almond, quoted in What Do We Do Now (2004)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In May Featuring—The Conservative Impulse—Fascism "[Fascism is] a system of government that exercises a dictatorship of the extreme right, typically through the merging of state and business leadership, together with belligerent nationalism."American Heritage Dictionary (1983)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Basketball ". . . and referee Richie Powers called the loose bowel foul on Johnson." — Frank Herzog, Washington sports announcer

Post subject: Quotes for May 12......
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:48 am 

Quotes for May 12......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Republicans "Republican comes in the dictionary just after reptile and just above repugnant." — Julia Roberts

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In May Featuring—The Rights of a Citizen in a Democracy—The Patriot Act "The Surveillance-Industrial Complex: How the American Government is Conscripting Businesses and Individuals in the Construction of a Surveillance Society" — American Civil Liberties Union, report title (August 9, 2005)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In May Featuring—The Conservative Impulse—Fearmongering "The phrase "Islamo-fascists" has spread around the [mainstream media] like a bad case of clap in a Texas whoehouse. Once again, the Republicans are being allowed to create a brand new scary enemy just in time for elections." — John Atcheson, "What We Learned from Mainstream Media Last Week (and What We Didn't)." Common Dreams (August 14, 2006)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Basketball "I've never had major knee surgery on any other part of my body." — Winston Bennett, University of Kentucky basketball forward

Post subject: Quotes for May 13......
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:35 am 

Quotes for May 13......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Responsibility "Take your life in your hands, and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame." — Erica Jong

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In May Featuring—The Rights of a Citizen in a Democracy—Abortion "The conservatives' fondest dream—overturning Roe—will be the Republicans' worst nightmare." — James Carville and Paul Begala, Take It Back (2006)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In May Featuring—The Conservative Impulse—Greed and Selfishness "Conservatism, in the lump, is a euphemism for selfishness." — Grant Allen, quoted in the Westminster Gazette (1894)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Basketball "Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious." — Charles Shackleford, North Carolina State player

Post subject: Quotes for May 14......
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:12 am 

Quotes for May 14......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Science & Creationism "I would defend the liberty of consenting adult creationists to practice whatever intellectual perversions they like in the privacy of their own homes; but it is also necessary to protect the young and innocent." — Arthur C. Clarke

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In May Featuring—The Rights of a Citizen in a Democracy—Civil Liberties "This administration has shredded the Bill of Rights. We have people in cages for going on two years now—no papers, no visitors, no phone calls, no lawyers, no nothing." — Phil Donahue, on the Bush administration, "Out in Left Field," interviewed by Bruce Kluger in Time Out New York (November 24-30, 2005)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In May Featuring—The Conservative Impulse—Homophobia "Homophobic men showed an increase in penile erection to male homosexual stimuli. . . .Homophobia is apparently associated with homosexual arousal that the homosexual individual is either unaware of or denies." — H. E. Adams, et al. "Is Homophobia Associated with Homosexual Arousal?" Journal of Abnormal Psychology (1996)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Basketball "I've won at every level, except college and pro." — Shaquille O'Neal, Los Angeles Lakers player