It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quotes for July 15......
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:02 am 

Quotes for July 15......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Diversity & Pluralism "When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free." — Charles Evans Hughes

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In July Featuring—The Culture War—The Sixties "Hypercritical then, we are hypocritical now. Those who refused to serve when it was our turn are now among the most strident, hawkish flag wavers around. And most of those who were vehemently anti-establishment then have now sold out (or bought into) 'the system.'" — Gregory D. Foster, "Baby Boomers: The Ungreatest Generation," Common Dreams (July 16, 2006)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In July Featuring—The Demand for Justice—Unemployment "Of all the aspects of social misery nothing is so heartbreaking as unemployment." — Jane Addams, Twenty Years at Hull-House (1910)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Track & Field "In the Moscow Olympics, Lasse Viren came in fifth and ran a champion's race." — Great Britain's David Coleman, perhaps a distant relative of American baseball commentator Jerry Coleman, has come up with some prize-winning lines in his track and field commentary. David Coleman is Hall of Shame Member Number 10.

Liberal Quotes of the Day taken from The Best Liberal Quotes Ever: Why the Left Is Right Compiled by William P. Martin ©2004

What Liberals Believe Quotes of the Day taken from What Liberals Believe: Thousands of Quotes on Why America Needs to Be Rescued from Greedy Corporations, Homophobes, Racists, Imperialists, Xenophobes, and Religious Extremists Compiled by William P. Martin ©2008

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day taken from 1001 Dumbest Things Ever Said Edited by Steven D. Price ©2004

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject: Quotes for July 16......
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:35 am 

Quotes for July 16......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Doubt "Freedom of speech and freedom of action are meaningless without freedom to think. And there is no freedom of thought without doubt." — Bergen Evans

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In July Featuring—The Culture War—Writers and Intellectuals "One of my greatest pleasures in my writing has come from the thought that perhaps my work might annoy someone of comfortably pretentious position. Then comes the realization that such people rarely read." — John Kenneth Galbraith, quoted in his obituary entitled "John Kenneth Galbraith, 97, Dies; Economist Held a Mirror to Society," New York Times (April 30, 2006)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In July Featuring—The Demand for Justice—Univeral Health Care "Americans must take a moral stand on changing the health care system. . . . Care must be accessible and affordable for everyone." — George Askew, "A Snapshot of the Uninsured Life," Washington Post (January 1, 2006)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Track & Field "He just can't believe what's not happening to him." — Great Britain's David Coleman, perhaps a distant relative of American baseball commentator Jerry Coleman, has come up with some prize-winning lines in his track and field commentary. David Coleman is Hall of Shame Member Number 10.

Liberal Quotes of the Day taken from The Best Liberal Quotes Ever: Why the Left Is Right Compiled by William P. Martin ©2004

What Liberals Believe Quotes of the Day taken from What Liberals Believe: Thousands of Quotes on Why America Needs to Be Rescued from Greedy Corporations, Homophobes, Racists, Imperialists, Xenophobes, and Religious Extremists Compiled by William P. Martin ©2008

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day taken from 1001 Dumbest Things Ever Said Edited by Steven D. Price ©2004

Post subject: Quotes for July 17......
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:40 am 

Quotes for July 17......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Economic Justice "Liberals are not unconcerned with economic liberty, but they have come to believe that the common good requires that social justice be given a higher priority than absolute economic freedom." — Robert S. McElvaine

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In July Featuring—The Culture War—Art "We are a little bit out of touch in Hollywood every once in a while. We were the ones who talked about AIDS when it was being whispered. We talked about civil rights when it wasn't really popular. I'm proud to be part of this Academy. I'm proud to be part of this community. I'm proud to be out of touch." — George Clooney, accepting his Academy Award for the film Syriana, Reuters (UK) (March 6, 2006)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In July Featuring—The Demand for Justice—Wages "There is no moral justification for a minimum wage lower than a living wage." — Barbara Ehrenreich, "Minimum Wage Rises, Sky Does Not Fall," AlterNet (January 23, 2007)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Track & Field "One of the great unknown champions because very little is known about him." — Great Britain's David Coleman, perhaps a distant relative of American baseball commentator Jerry Coleman, has come up with some prize-winning lines in his track and field commentary. David Coleman is Hall of Shame Member Number 10.

Post subject: Quotes for July 18......
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:07 am 

Quotes for July 18......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Education "Intelligence plus character, that is the goal of true education." — Martin Luther King, Jr.

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In July Featuring—The Culture War—Books "I cannot live without books." — Thomas Jefferson, in a letter to John Adams (June 10, 1815)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In July Featuring—The Demand for Justice—Wealth "Behind every great fortune there is a crime." — Honore de Balzac, quoted in "Others to Choose From," Common Dreams (March 2, 2007)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Track & Field "There'll be only one winner now—in every sense." — Great Britain's David Coleman, perhaps a distant relative of American baseball commentator Jerry Coleman, has come up with some prize-winning lines in his track and field commentary. David Coleman is Hall of Shame Member Number 10.

Post subject: Quotes for July 19......
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:00 am 

Quotes for July 19......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Environment "Feelings that morality has nothing to do with the way you use the resources of the world is an idea that can't persist much longer. If it does, then we won't." — Barbara Kingsolver

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In July Featuring—The Culture War—Culture War "Politicians who spark a culture war for the of their own power are playing with fire." — James Carroll, "The Risks of Waging 'Culture War,'" Boston Globe (March 9, 2004)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In July Featuring—The Demand for Justice—Welfare "Private beneficence is totally inadequate to deal with the vast numbers of the city's disinherited." — Jane Addams, Twenty Years at Hull House (1910)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Track & Field "The Republic of China—back in the Olympic Games for the first time." — Great Britain's David Coleman, perhaps a distant relative of American baseball commentator Jerry Coleman, has come up with some prize-winning lines in his track and field commentary. David Coleman is Hall of Shame Member Number 10.

Post subject: Quotes for July 20......
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:04 am 

Quotes for July 20......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Equality "One of the things about equality is not just that you be treated equally to a man, but that you treat yourself equally to the way treat a man." — Marlo Thomas

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In July Featuring—The Culture War—Hate "America is full of good people, but something dark is loose. There's a free-floating anxiety that easily metastasizes into paranoia and hatred for the same enemies always targeted by authoritarian populist movements—homosexuals, urbanites, foreigners, intellectuals, and religious minorities." — Michelle Godlberg, Kingdom Coming (2006)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In July Featuring—The Demand for Justice—Work "The Republican Party is good for . . . people who don't work but inherit money and live off of dividends and capital gains while they sip daiquiris in Palm Beach." — Larry Beinhart, "A Manifesto (for Democrats & Liberals)," Common Dreams (December 15, 2005)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Track & Field "That's the fastest time ever run—but it's not as fast as the world record." — Great Britain's David Coleman, perhaps a distant relative of American baseball commentator Jerry Coleman, has come up with some prize-winning lines in his track and field commentary. David Coleman is Hall of Shame Member Number 10.

Post subject: Quotes for July 21......
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:13 am 

Quotes for July 21......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Ethics "Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can." — John Wesley

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In July Featuring—The Culture War—Language "The Democratic Party will not win elections or build a lasting majority solely by changing its rhetoric, nor will we win by adopting the other side's positions. We must say what we mean—and mean real change when we say it." — Howard Dean, announcing his candidacy for the Democratic Party chair, quoted in "Dr. Dean Calling," Nation (January 12, 2005)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In July Featuring—The Demand for Justice—Worker Rights "Why should workers agree to be slaves in a basically authoritarian structure? They should have control over it themselves. Why shouldn't the communities have a dominant voice in running the institutions that affect their lives?" — Noam Chomsky, "One Man's View," Business Today (May 1973)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Track & Field "He is accelerating all the time. That last lap was run in 64 seconds, and the one before in 62." — Great Britain's David Coleman, perhaps a distant relative of American baseball commentator Jerry Coleman, has come up with some prize-winning lines in his track and field commentary. David Coleman is Hall of Shame Member Number 10.

Post subject: Quotes for July 22......
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:56 am 

Quotes for July 22......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Faith "As a Christian, there is no other part of the New Right ideology that concerns me more than its self-serving misuse of religious faith." — Mark O. Hatfield

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In July Featuring—The Culture War—Polarization "I would like to suggest that the split is not between right and left but between the faith-based and reality-based communities." — Larry Beinhart, Fog Facts (2005)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In July Featuring—The Demand for Justice—Workplaces "Our workplaces, where many spend most of their waking hours, are cradles of authoritarianism." — John Buell, "The Importance of Labor Day," Progressive Populist (October 1, 2000)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Track & Field "It's a great advantage to be able to hurdle with both legs." — Great Britain's David Coleman, perhaps a distant relative of American baseball commentator Jerry Coleman, has come up with some prize-winning lines in his track and field commentary. David Coleman is Hall of Shame Member Number 10.

Post subject: Quotes for July 23......
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:11 am 

Quotes for July 23......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Families "Right now everyone in the world seems to think that they are codependent and that they come from dysfunctional families . . . I call it the human condition." — Cynthia Heimel

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In July Featuring—The Culture War—The Sixties "We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed now in universities, looking uncomfortably to the world we inherit." — Tom Hayden, "The Port Huron Statement" (1962)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In July Featuring—The Demand for Justice—Capitalism "The genius of contemporary capitalism is not simply that it gives consumers what they want but that it makes them want what it has to give. It's that core logic of ever-expanding desires that is unsustainable on a global scale." — Timothy Garton Ash, "Global Capitalism Now Has No Serious Rivals. But It Could Destroy Itself," Guardian (UK) (February 22, 2007)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Track & Field "And here's Moses Kiptanui, the 19-year-old Kenyan, who turned 20 a few weeks ago." — Great Britain's David Coleman, perhaps a distant relative of American baseball commentator Jerry Coleman, has come up with some prize-winning lines in his track and field commentary. David Coleman is Hall of Shame Member Number 10.

Post subject: Quotes for July 24......
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:42 am 

Quotes for July 24......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Fascism "Whenever people start locking up enemies because of national security without much legal care, you are coming close [to fascism]." — Robert Paxton

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In July Featuring—The Culture War—Writers and Intellectuals "The job of the writer is to kiss no ass, no matter how big and holy and white and tempting and powerful." — Ken Kesey, Paris Review (Spring 1994)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In July Featuring—The Demand for Justice—Class "It's hard to concentrate in classrooms that were cleaned during the night by people who can barely make rent. You tend to choke on your chicken fingers when the cafeteria is staffed by men and women who have to work a second job in to feed their own children." — Barbara Ehrenreich, "Class Struggle 101," Progressive (November 2003)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Track & Field "This evening is a very different evening from the morning that we had this morning." — Great Britain's David Coleman, perhaps a distant relative of American baseball commentator Jerry Coleman, has come up with some prize-winning lines in his track and field commentary. David Coleman is Hall of Shame Member Number 10.

Post subject: Quotes for July 25......
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:11 am 

Quotes for July 25......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Fear "You must do the thing you think you cannot do." — Eleanor Roosevelt

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In July Featuring—The Culture War—Art "Progressive art can assist people to learn not only about the objective forces at in the society in which they live, but also about the intensely social character of their interior lives. Ultimately, it can propel people toward social emancipation." — Angela Davis, Women, Culture, and Politics (1984)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In July Featuring—The Demand for Justice—Crime "Hunger makes a thief of any man." — Pearl S. Buck, The Good Earth (1931)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Track & Field "There's going to be a real ding-dong when the bell goes." — Great Britain's David Coleman, perhaps a distant relative of American baseball commentator Jerry Coleman, has come up with some prize-winning lines in his track and field commentary. David Coleman is Hall of Shame Member Number 10.

Post subject: Quotes for July 26......
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:12 am 

Quotes for July 26......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Feminism "Who knows what women can be when they are finally free to become themselves?" — Betty Friedan

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In July Featuring—The Culture War—Books "Sit down and read. Educate yourself for the coming conflicts." — Mother Jones, quoted in Ms. magazine (November 1981)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In July Featuring—The Demand for Justice—Economic Justice "There are those who believe that if you just legislate to make the well-to-do prosperous, that their prosperity will leak through on those below. The Democratic idea has been if you legislate to make the masses prosperous, their prosperity will find its way up and through every class that rests upon it." — William Jennings Bryan, in his famous "Cross of Gold" speech (1896)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Track & Field "There is Brendan Foster, by himself, with 20,000 people." — Great Britain's David Coleman, perhaps a distant relative of American baseball commentator Jerry Coleman, has come up with some prize-winning lines in his track and field commentary. David Coleman is Hall of Shame Member Number 10.

Post subject: Quotes for July 27......
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:33 am 

Quotes for July 27......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Fools & Fanatics "There is no cosmic law forbidding the triumph of extremism in America." — Thomas McIntyre

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In July Featuring—The Culture War—Culture War "People know things are out of whack, that fundamentally the order of, the rhythm of public life and our common life as Americans has been severly distrurbed." — Bill Clinton, quoted in "Clinton Says Republican Extremists Divided Country," Reuters (October 15, 2006)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In July Featuring—The Demand for Justice—Economics "Politics is simply the reflex of economics. The material foundation of society determines the character of all social institutions—political, educational, ethical, and spiritual." — Eugene Debs, quoted in Debs: His Life, Writings and Speeches (1908)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Track & Field "We estimate—and this isn't an estimation—that Greta Waitz is 80 seconds behind." — Great Britain's David Coleman, perhaps a distant relative of American baseball commentator Jerry Coleman, has come up with some prize-winning lines in his track and field commentary. David Coleman is Hall of Shame Member Number 10.

Post subject: Quotes for July 28......
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:20 pm 

Quotes for July 28......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Foreign Policy "Domestic policy can only lose elections. Foreign policy can kill us all." — John F. Kennedy

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In July Featuring—The Culture War—Hate "The best defense against hate is a strong, diverse and democratic civic culture that respects human rights and civil liberties." — Elizabeth Hartmann, "America's Climate of Fear and Loathing," Boston Globe (April 19, 2002)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In July Featuring—The Demand for Justice—Fiscal Responsibility "It is a moral value to make sure that we do not leave our own debts to be paid by the next generation." — Howard Dean, "Democratic Moral Values," YubaNet (December 13, 2004)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Track & Field "He's 31 this year. Last year he was 30." — Great Britain's David Coleman, perhaps a distant relative of American baseball commentator Jerry Coleman, has come up with some prize-winning lines in his track and field commentary. David Coleman is Hall of Shame Member Number 10.

Post subject: Quotes for July 29......
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:21 pm 

Quotes for July 29......

Best Liberal Quote of the Day: On Freedom "Life in freedom is not easy, and democracy is not perfect." — John F. Kennedy

What Liberals Believe First Quote of Day: In July Featuring—The Culture War—Language "We can change our vocabulary, but I don't think we ought to change our principles." — Howard Dean, quoted in "Democratic Leadership Rethinking Abortion," Los Angeles Times (December 23, 2004)

What Liberals Believe Second Quote of Day: In July Featuring—The Demand for Justice—Justice "The requirement of "due process" is not a fair weather or timid assurance. It must be respected in periods of calm and in times of trouble; it protects aliens as well as citizens." — Felix Frankfurter, Joint Anti-Fascist Refugee Committee v. McGrath (1951)

Dumbest Thing Said for the Day: From the world of Track & Field "There goes Juantorena down the back straight, opening his legs and showing his class." — Great Britain's David Coleman, perhaps a distant relative of American baseball commentator Jerry Coleman, has come up with some prize-winning lines in his track and field commentary. David Coleman is Hall of Shame Member Number 10.