It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Single Army Mom Arrested for Refusing Deployment
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:09 pm 

Single mom who is US Army cook refuses Afghanistan deployment to take care of 10-month-old son

SAVANNAH, Ga. (Associated Press) --
An Army cook and single mom may face criminal charges after she skipped her deployment flight to Afghanistan because, she said, no one was available to care for her infant son while she was overseas.

Spc. Alexis Hutchinson, 21, claims she had no choice but to refuse deployment orders because the only family she had to care for her 10-month-old son _ her mother _ was overwhelmed by the task, already caring for three other relatives with health problems.

Her civilian attorney, Rai Sue Sussman, said Monday that one of Hutchinson's superiors told her she would have to deploy anyway and place the child in foster care.
. . . .

I two conflicting views on this story:

A) What the hell is wrong with the military trying deploy a single parent under any condition?

OR

B) What the hell was she thinking having a child while on active military duty without a father around to do his share? It doesn’t matter that she is no longer seeing the father, he is still responsible to take care of the boy.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject: Re: Single Army Mom Arrested for Refusing Deployment
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:03 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Sounds like the kid would have been in foster care? I feel for Alexis Hutchinson.

30,000 single mothers deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

SEEMS TO ME THE COUPLE SHOULD HAVE PRACTICED BIRTH CONTROL...NO PROBLEM IF NO BABY IS CREATED. THAT'S THE PROBLEM HERE...IRRESPONSIBILITY. IF THEY'RE SO IRRESPONSIBLE ABOUT BIRTH CONTROL, THEY'RE REALLY NOT RESPONSIBLE ENOUGH TO EVEN BE IN THE MILITARY....BUT THE MILITARY NEEDS WARM BODIES....UNFORTUNATELY. but, IF YOU'RE GOING TO BE IN THE MILITARY, PUT OFF HAVING KIDS UNTIL YOU'RE DISCHARGED..

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:30 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Sounds like the next step the military can think to take is BANNING personnel from becoming pregnant.

Pregnant Iraq Personnel Could Face Court-Martial: Army General Bans Pregnancy
Quote:
Stars and Stripes:

The Army general commanding U.S. forces in northern Iraq has added pregnancy to the list of prohibitions for personnel under his command.

The policy, which went into effect Nov. 4, makes it possible to face punishment, including a court-martial and jail time, for becoming pregnant or impregnating a servicemember, according to the wording of the policy and confirmations from Army officials.

Yeah! We aint trainin' 'em to be mommies, but killers!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

One of the really sad things about this is that so many of our "volunteer" military join up to get money for college, hoping to improve their future lives, and the lives of their children... whether they're legitimate or not... by putting their present lives at risk. How many who volunteer are rich enough to go to school without the military's help? Not many, I'd wager. :(

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:55 am 

No abortion for those in the military. And it isn't always the woman who is responsible for a pregnancy. What were her circumstances?

I've heard too many stories about male predators in the service. Again, what were her circumstances?

And, as APL said, why would the military send single parents overseas?

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:06 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Bringing the story full circle:

Top Army Commander Rescinds Controversial Order Criminalizing Pregnancy
Quote:
Friday 25 December 2009 | by: Jason Leopold, t r u t h o u t | Report

A controversial policy implemented last month by the Army general commanding soldiers in Northern Iraq that criminalized pregnancy was rescinded following an outcry from women’s groups and fierce criticism by four Democratic lawmakers.

According to a report published on ABC News’ website Friday, "Gen. Raymond Odierno [the top US commander in Iraq] has drafted a broad new policy for the US forces in Iraq that will take effect Jan. 1, but which does not include a provision issued last month by Maj. Gen. Anthony Cucolo that disciplined both soldiers who became pregnant and their military sex partners."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:33 am 

That is all completely absurd. I have to agree with Cat that she really should not have had a kid when she was an active duty military person, especially being single...but she also shouldn't be put in jail because she has a child, that's just as bad as putting someone in jail for having an abortion. We go to such stupid extremes. The part about banning pregnancy is fucking stupid. Seriously, this is coming from a military that won't even let people say they are gay, how on earth are people going to get abortions? And are there tons of medical personnel available in Afghanistan to perform the abortions, if they actually let women get them? I realize they have since rescinded the order, but the whole idea is retarded in the first place.