It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where Has the Antiwar Movement Gone?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This column makes a lot of sense to me...where indeed have all the anti-war protesters gone? I can't believe they've all wrapped themselves in flags and joined the Tea Party. We have a president who won the Nobel Peace Prize...yet the wars continue. :? My questions are: where is Cindy Sheehan now? Are there really no protests going on or is the media just not covering them? Those of us that hated the wars under Bush now seem to have accepted them under Obama...why is that? If we brought back the military draft, would it make a difference in our tolerance of these wars?

Where Has the Antiwar Movement Gone?

By TED BALAKER
Senior Producer of “What Happened to the AntiWar Movement?", Reason.tv

In his State of the Union speech, President Obama gave the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan just a couple of quick paragraphs, buried towards the end of the speech.

Earlier this month came word that the White House would send an additional 1,400 Marine combat forces to Afghanistan. Yet the announcement was met with a shrug from the antiwar movement. Why?

Perhaps it's because the figure represents a tiny uptick from the additional 30,000 troops the president committed to the region more than a year ago. Or maybe it's because the president who approved both these escalations is named Barack Obama, not George W. Bush. That the Tea Party didn't spring up during the big spending Bush years has left the movement vulnerable to charges that it's more anti-Obama than it is anti-big government. Similarly, it seems that a sizable portion of the antiwar movement may have been more anti-Bush than antiwar.

More at the link

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: Where Has the Antiwar Movement Gone?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:49 pm 

My take:
Early on, we had volunteers from all levels of society in post 9/11 flurry of patriotism. The upper and middle classes have voice and didn’t tolerate casualties. Now the members of the military consist mainly of those from the lower classes that saw the military as the ONLY alternative to unemployment. This is really a silent draft and why there is no real effort amongst the Military Industrial Complex (I include the government here but especially Repugs) to get people employed. The poor have no voice. A note about those 1200 “additional” troops, reading Jasper’s posts tells me they were really replacements for casualties.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject: Re: Where Has the Antiwar Movement Gone?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:14 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

A Proud Liberal wrote:
My take:
Early on, we had volunteers from all levels of society in post 9/11 flurry of patriotism. The upper and middle classes have voice and didn’t tolerate casualties. Now the members of the military consist mainly of those from the lower classes that saw the military as the ONLY alternative to unemployment. This is really a silent draft and why there is no real effort amongst the Military Industrial Complex (I include the government here but especially Repugs) to get people employed. The poor have no voice. A note about those 1200 “additional” troops, reading Jasper’s posts tells me they were really replacements for casualties.

I have a friend who, in the past, was in the Army Reserves. His political views, are let's say, somewhat like mine. However he, to this day, still defends the wars in the Middle East. In addition, he doesn't believe that our government was involved in 911.

Single payer/public option renewable energy and a lot of "lefty" viewpoints, he pretty much agrees with me on these issues.

I think it boils down to loyalty. He was in the Reserves, to help pay for his college education. I really think, and just like the corporate lobbyists for the right wing, it's a "follow the money" kind of loyalty.

However, and I've never been this forceful with him, if he were to actually go over to the Middle East and fight these wars, his loyalty to the military, may have been reduced somewhat.

I put him in the category of the, "be all you can be" crowd. Their military, flag waving, "God bless America" commercials are great, in recruiting the "carrot on a stick crowd."

However, a college education can seem so "demonic" if by chance, your conscience taps on your heart's shoulder suddenly and says...

"At who's blood, will your financial/professional future ride on, if and when, the doors finally open for you."

...if they're lucky enough to come back alive, and in one piece.

It's disgusting I know, but it seems that these "psychotic means of recruiting," are working for the most part.

Oh by the way, he didn't fully enlist in the Army, (pre 911) because he was raising a family here, at the time.

Imagine that!! :roll:

But he's a great guy. Would do anything for ya!! (and likewise) :D