It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Harassment of Activists
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:10 am 
Harassment of Activists: The Double Standard

We can add Dr. Steven Jones to the list of professors who are being harassed through their job for their "views" on 9/11.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,645199800,00.html

In a related story, Niall Ferguson, Laurence A. Tisch professor of history at Harvard University, received no harassment whatsoever for his sophmoric speculation piece in Time magazine this week, a piece which predicts that in the year 2031, 9/11 will be seen as little more than "a strange aberration" in an otherwise peaceful world.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 03,00.html

Post subject: AAUP Coming to Jones' Defense
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:06 pm 
Association comes to aid of BYU physics professor
By Lisa Carricaburu
The Salt Lake Tribune

POSTED 1:58 PM- A national organization that advocates for academic freedom on the nation's campuses has come to the defense of Brigham Young University professor Steven Jones, who the university placed on paid administrative leave last week while it investigates his research into alternative explanations for what happened on Sept. 11.

"This is a serious sanction against a faculty member over something he was not teaching in his classes," Eric Combest, associate secretary with the American Association of University Professors, said today. "Our basic position is that colleges cannot punish professors for opinions they express not as faculty members, but as American citizens." Combest said Jones has not contacted AAUP, nor has the organization yet had any formal communication with BYU.

AAUP felt compelled to comment about BYU's actions against Jones because those actions "strike us as egregious." Combest also noted previous clashes between his organization and BYU that have kept the school owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on AAUP's radar.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_4325144

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:32 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

it seems that anyone who questions even the most remote things about 9-11 are now called "conspiracy therorists"...using the term in the most negative way, meaning simply put: "they're all nuts".

and, using the same rovian tactics, they're even calling people who question anything the republicans do as "conspiracy theorists"..once again giving the idea that if i question the right, then i must be another nut case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:41 pm 

You are right mga about being labled as nuts, Its funny how our gov is trying to spread there so called "democracy" through out the world when our own country is loosing even the basic principles of it. For instance I got into a debate over how the gov. is using such a horrible event in our countries history and turning it into the largest propaganda campaign ever! what am I talking about?...the films "flight 93" and "the trade towers" Im sorry but in respect to the families that lost someone that terrible day those movies should of never have been released. But I just guess everyone has been so brainwashed to relize democracy is more than just one political veiw. So really when it comes down to it I'd rather be labled as nuts than to be a brain washed tool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:54 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

true. i'm surprised they aren't cashing in on pearl harbor too.

to be honest, i don't believe every conspiracy suggestion i read about 9-11. i have my thoughts, and i hold the government responsible. some that i have read make sense, while some seem to challenge logic. that is not to say i disagree with other's opinions. like i said, i have my own. but, much like the kennedy assasination, we'll never know.

but, i imagine in today's world where capital gain is the driving force behind most people, i guess exploiting 9-11 for profit is just as acceptable as exploiting it for a vote. most americans don't really care.

however, i also find myself in the same predicament: do i continue to exploit 9-11 for a political cause against a certain party? does this make me any better or worse than those making a profit? i can find at least a hundred other issues to use against the right.

my opinion only....my feelings only. not intended in any way to challenge another's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:31 pm 

I suppose you wouldnt be any better than those using 9-11 for a political and profitable gain BUT 9-11 was the cataylst that was used to put fear into the general public and the public must understand this. If you wanted to start a war against someone what better way than to use revenge as your case for war.

Also "homeland security" lets look into this spying department that was supposed to protect us from the terrorists. I believe it was 45 days after 9-11 (sumone correct me if im wrong) that this department was put into use. IMO I believe it would take a lot longer than 45 days to put another department into effective use if it wasnt already pre planned.

mga i believe using 9-11 as a case to use against a political party isnt wrong when you are merley holding them accountable for there actions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:05 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

as for those accountable....i hold the CIA and the FBI, as i have stated many times, for falling asleep on the job. had they been awake, it probably would have never happened.

now, we have to pay the price via the patriot act, domestic spying, wire taps, etc etc. for this, i blame the bush admin.

i am not a terrorist, therefore i should not be treated like one, nor suspected of being one. this is no different than frisking everyone walking into a bank because they might be a bank robber.

this is what pisses me off about 9-11.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:48 pm 

I believe if you are using 9/11 as the ONLY problem against the neocons, it would be using it in the same way they use it. But there are so many things that are happening--things that are against the American way, using 9/11 as part of our very own terrorists puts it in another category.

If I had time, I would look up Bush's press conference from Friday. Sorry the eyes are not going to last that long. But now, we are not even supposed to THINK!

This one is worse than his version of 'IMAGINE'.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:02 pm 

former bushicon colin powell is now CONFUSED.

although i'm rather enjoying the sight of all the gop infighting.

sweet........hope it keeps on rollin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:50 am 

I just heard Eric Boehlert, author of "Lapdogs: How the Press Rolled Over for Bush," speak on C-Span 2. Not much of a speaker, but he had wonderful material to bring to the public's attention.

He was saying a lot of what we say here--and then some. Surprising when so many they highlight are neocons!

Amazing how the press runs America, eh?

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid