It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Major change expected in Iraq strategy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:49 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

The growing doubts among GOP lawmakers about the administration's Iraq strategy, coupled with the prospect of Democratic wins in next month's midterm elections, will soon force the Bush administration to abandon its open-ended commitment to the war, according to lawmakers in both parties, foreign policy experts and others involved in policymaking.

Senior figures in both parties are coming to the conclusion that the Bush administration will be unable to achieve its goal of a stable, democratic Iraq within a politically feasible time frame. Agitation is growing in Congress for alternatives to the administration's strategy of keeping Iraq in one piece and getting its security forces up and running while 140,000 U.S. troops try to keep a lid on rapidly spreading sectarian violence.

WAR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:38 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

sorry, but i'm not buying into it. i don't care what republicans are saying now, it's election time and those mother f*ckers will say anything to get re-elected.

by them saying now that the iraq war is messed up and not worth it is total bullshit. all they really have to do is call an emergency session of congress or the senate and address the war with a swift resolution to end it. they won't and after elections...it'll be the same strategy: stay the course.

it's all bullshit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:13 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I agree. They are running scare now, knowing the the roof is going to come down on them.

If the Dem's don't screw up and do or say something stupid I think this is in the bag. Or at least I hope so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:13 am 

Rs still own the secret codes to the voting machines.

They said the Rs couldn't pull it off in 2004 and obviously they did. I won't believe anything until it happens...

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:39 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

DarkKnight2 wrote:
I agree. They are running scare now, knowing the the roof is going to come down on them.

If the Dem's don't screw up and do or say something stupid I think this is in the bag. Or at least I hope so.

Now you've got me knocking on wood. :pale:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:14 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Quote:
They said the Rs couldn't pull it off in 2004 and obviously they did. I won't believe anything until it happens...

They didn't it was Gore that gave up with no fight. Same as Kerry did. They somehow got to them both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:15 am 

DarkKnight2 wrote:
Quote:

They didn't it was Gore that gave up with no fight. Same as Kerry did. They somehow got to them both.

Can't agree with that. Gore had no idea Bush would be the Nazi he is and truly believed his actions would save the nation a bitter battle that would separate it. As we all know, it was done for us by the emperor himself.

Kerry gave up. I have no idea why--especially after assuring people 'I have your back'. I think he had it to stash his knife in. He should have fought to the finish, and he didn't. He just gave up...

And both times it was the cheating of the Rs that even allowed any of this to happen. Cheating of the Rs and Dems that were timid.

Not a good combination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:46 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I don't know, I seem to remember Gore saying he was going to fight it to the end, no matter how long it took and then two or three hours later Edwards comes up and says it is over.

Same thing with Kerry, we are going to fight this and then it's over. Especially after they knew that there were big problems in Ohio.

Bush people threatened or did something to stop the fight. No doubt in my mind at all, that something happened to take the fight out of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:59 am 

You mean like so many countries are backing Nicaragua for the United Nations rather than Venezuela, who would do them more good?

This crime ring called the Republican Party seems to get to people no matter what the issue!

If I were Republican I would be mad as hell at what has happened to my party...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:51 am 
Hear Me Roar!

There is more to the Republican Party than just neocons. These guys are bad enough it seems, but they may only represent the tip of the ice berg. The people who support them are well organized and well financed. I am referring to the Military Industrial Complex and other financial interests. World power and world domination are real issues here. That means that American politics is only part of the picture. But, it is big part of the picture because of the superpower status of the country.

Do not discount the world conspiracy theorists as if they are nut cases. Just consider the facts of recent history. The US is the only super power in the world with attendant worldly ambitions. The current global economic system is based on a strong US currency. In fact, it is the world reserve currency as the US moved away from gold in 1971. That means the US can do whatever it wants to in terms of spending and creating war. It is not beholding to anyone. All it has to do is keep everyone convinced that is the strongest power on earth and it does this by keeping its currency strong and in demand. It buys cheap goods from China and Asia and in return these nations and others in the world buy US debt. Other countries are financing the errant ways of the US and that includes the financing of war.

Oil priced in US dollars is also part of the scenario. This is how America keeps its hegemony intact. It is just another way of supporting the US dollar. Oil priced in US dollars creates demand for the currency. This is one of the reasons for the invasion of Iraq. Iraq, prior to the invasion was selling its oil in euros, hence challenging the dominance of the US. Saddam had to go under these conditons. So, not only did the Jewish neocons want to get rid of him for the safety of Israel, but currency consiiderations played a part as well. This is why, for example, the US criticizes and deamonizes a country like Venezuela and Chavez for daring to think that they can sell their oil in Euros. These types of people become enemies of the US. Perhaps Iran, a major exporter thought about these things as well. I do not know and I am only speculating here.

Another thing you have to think about is the Bush regimes seemingly indifference to things like the US national debt, currently running about 8.5 trillion dollars. These are huge numbers for an ordinary person to consider. Anyone interested in fiscal sanity would want to keep these numbers in line as they potentially threaten the US and the world's economies at the same time. The regime does not care about these things, about the lives of Iraqis or dead soldiers. They only care about power and domination and control. The regimes tightning hold on America is only part of the picture if you look at all of these things in total. As the picture is so big and so scary you simply have to wonder if it is just the Republicans doing all of these nasty things to fellow Americans and the rest of the world. There are other players here I think. Players with large controlling interests and the abiltiy to wage war and to manage global economies. World domination conspiracy theory? What are we to do when someone suggests that this current regime doesn't care about the debt it creates because it has no intention of honoring its debts, or at least mitigating them by various means. People get hurt when these things occur, but the people with the means to achieve them do not.

I would not dismiss the power of the Republican Party and the people who would like to see them in power. A reasonable person who expect a Democrat victory at the polls in November and also in 2008. But, politics seems to have changed in America and rationality has a taken a back seat to those with real power. Even if the Republicans were to lose an election here or there don't you think that the forces that gain under an administration like the current Republican one would find ways to achieve their objectives? You just have to think of power as a form of lust. And, we all know about the power of lust and its consequences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The repubs have two fights on their hands...one is their image and what that can mean on Election Day and the other is how to make the machines accept a majority of the Dem votes as Repub votes when polls are so adamently against them. Can you say machine breakdown? Even the sheeple might not accept that this time around.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:47 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

There are very few Repub politicians who still care about what people think about them. When Bush was put into office, it was the beginning of what they (the real power people) wanted. By keeping him there for another four years, insures that their policies will continue.

Even though things look like the Liberals could win in Nov I highly doubt if that will happen. If it does the well oiled machine that was put in place in 2000, would have a chance of being stopped.

I believe there is a overall plan and it really does not matter if we take control or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:36 am 

Little did we know at the time Eisenhower made his farewell speech, just how important his message to us was and is!

Beware of the Military Industrial Complex!

The people in power have every decent American from our past spinning in their graves...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:43 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You're right on all counts, dori. But I'll bet Eisenhower never foresaw the dangerous epidemic that has had this nation in its grips since the war began in Iraq...the name of this epidemic is APATHY.

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:45 am 
Hear Me Roar!

dori wrote:
Little did we know at the time Eisenhower made his farewell speech, just how important his message to us was and is!

Beware of the Military Industrial Complex!

The people in power have every decent American from our past spinning in their graves...

I agree totally. I think a lot of the problems of the country stem from the power and influence of this group of people and their organizations. It is just an economy that perpetuates itself through the control of money and people, and unfortunately, politicians. The system may be, essentially, corrupt.