It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: THIRD AND FINAL ACT
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This report is something that I haven't heard discussed very much anywhere...what happens to American troops in Iraq if Iran is attacked, either by the US or by Israel?

Third and Final Act :shock:

by William S. Lind

The third and final act in the national tragedy that is the Bush administration may soon play itself out. The Okhrana reports increasing indications of "something big" happening between the election and Christmas. That could be the long-planned attack on Iran.

An attack on Iran will not be an invasion with ground troops. We don't have enough of those left to invade Ruritania. It will be a "package" of air and missile strikes, by U.S. forces or Israel. If Israel does it, there is a possibility of nuclear weapons being employed. But Israel would prefer the U.S. to do the dirty work, and what Israel wants, Israel usually gets, at least in Washington.

That this would constitute folly piled on top of folly is no deterrent to the Bush administration. Like the French Bourbons, it forgets nothing and it learns nothing. It takes pride in not adapting. Or did you somehow miss George W. Bush's declaration of Presidential Infallibility? It followed shortly after the visit to the aircraft carrier with the "Mission Accomplished" sign.

The Democrats taking either or both Houses of Congress, if it happens, will not make any difference. They would rather have the Republicans start and lose another war than prevent a national disaster. Politics comes first and the country second. Nor would they dare cross Israel.

Many of the consequences of a war with Iran are easy to imagine. Oil would soar to at least $200 per barrel if we could get it. Gas shortages would bring back the gas lines of 1973 and 1979. Our European alliances would be stretched to the breaking point if not beyond it. Most people outside the Bushbubble can see all this coming.

What I fear no one foresees is a substantial danger that we could lose the army now deployed in Iraq. I have mentioned this in previous columns, but I want to go into it here in more detail because the scenario may soon go live.

Well before the second Iraq war started, I warned in a piece in The American Conservative that the structure of our position in Iraq could lead to that greatest of military disasters, encirclement. That is precisely the danger if we go to war with Iran

READ MORE HERE

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:27 am 

Dire indeed!

Hard to believe, but there are still cheerleaders for the war in this area.

In your area?

Do people realize just how fu**ed up this administration is?

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:32 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Dori, the problem is the media is not reporting the real truth. They have been threatened somehow, someway. This president and his administration are being handled with kid gloves. Why, because whenever somebody opens their mouth to tell how bad things are really going, they are labled un american, a terrorist and many other names.

People are afraid to talk because of the Patriot Act. It is so broad that we could be labled terrorist simply for posting on these message board or watching a film that implies the government had something to do with the attack.

Bush virtually stopped all when he had that approved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:15 pm 

Of course you are right DK.

I worry about Keith Olberman...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:51 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Unfortunatly Keith will stop shortly. He will be told quietly that his future in broadcasting is about to come to a halt and he will go quitely into the night. Continuing as he did before and will stop the attacks on this president. He has already been slowed. It won't be long before it stops.

We are under a undefined Martial Law. A law of do only what Bush wants us to do. You should read some of the books about his family history. It explains so much about what he is doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:24 pm 

I have to have books on tape or read the computer with print expanded. Books on tape are excellent help!

Olberman was sent that white powder already--that should put a scare into anyone, even the bravest of people. I am sure he gets death threats. Heck, people with the 'wrong' bumper stickers' get death threats.

Bush has been itching to declare Martial Law, when he said any medical emergency will be handled by the military rather than the Health Dept it pretty well summed up his dreams for our future.

Meanwhile, those troops in Iraq are sitting ducks for OUR OWN attacks on people around them.

Bush is a complete disaster!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:45 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

We know that, 60 percentage of so of the nation knows that, but, the ones that actually control what is happening, don't want to stop it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:42 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

You gotta wonder how it all came this far and everybody is depressed. The opposition don't fight and the media don't babble. Is that what a dictatorship feels like? I mean, people worried about what they can say in public. Isn't that a little much?

I'm not sure where the white knight is going to come from. The generals are complaining. Maybe a real coup? What sort of message is the military sending to the executive with their complaints?

The Republicans didn't learn from Watergate or the Viet Nam War. They only want more power and more war. That is what they do and that is what kind of animal they are.

They got in through the back door and crashed the party. The 'democratic' party. They installed a different kind of government and nobody was paying attention or bothered to care. The people that should have cared did nothing.

So, what to do? Some Democratic victories on election day, does that solve anything? The executive still breaths and does the things it wants to do, and some of the things it wants to do is more war.

If the electoral system cannot produce the results that are required then maybe it is a good thing that the generals are speaking out. Maybe this group can influence the regime that what they are doing is not productive and is actually, un-American.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Okay...so what happens to our troops in Iraq if a war with Iran begins?

How will the military deal with that fiasco, especially since the military leaders have let it be known in no uncertain terms that they have no confidence in the Secretary of Defense?

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:12 am 
Hear Me Roar!

Catherine wrote:
Okay...so what happens to our troops in Iraq if a war with Iran begins?

How will the military deal with that fiasco, especially since the military leaders have let it be known in no uncertain terms that they have no confidence in the Secretary of Defense?

Catherine

Maybe the regime is starting to self destruct and beginning with military dissatisfaction If you cannot manage a disciplined and loyal group like the military then maybe this is one of the best signs yet that this menace will not last forever.

To answer your question, maybe there will no Iran invasion if the generals can influence in any way possible this regime. The generals just might be the key to success here.

But, then of course I am a bit of an idealist. The invasion of Iran would likely involve less troops and more of things like air power and nuclear weapons. Certain interests want Iran invaded, no matter what.