It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: One Soldier Against the Empire
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

One Soldier Against the Empire

By Elizabeth de la Vega, Tomdispatch.com.

November 4, 2006.

Move over, G.I. Joe and Han Solo -- Sgt. Ricky Clousing gives a whole new meaning to 'profile in courage.'

I look forward to the day when Mattel makes a Sgt. Ricky Clousing action figure.

As the mother of sons born eight years apart, I spent nearly half my adult life surrounded by -- and stepping on -- action figures. They were everywhere: a phalanx of tiny knights in shining armor on the windowsill; Batman and Robin frozen in an ice tray; and GI Joe guys in camouflage among the hosta. One Christmas, Luke Skywalker and Han Solo even ended up in the manger scene along with Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, two cows, three sheep, and several Ewoks. My kids spent hours and hours in a fantasy world populated by villains and heroes of every description except one; there were no peace heroes.

I met a peace hero at Camp Democracy in Washington, D.C. not too long ago: Sgt. Ricky Clousing. He will not remember me, but I will not forget him. On a brilliant, blessedly unhumid day, Ricky sat on a makeshift platform within shouting distance of the Lincoln Memorial and told a story that was simultaneously agonizing and inspiring to hear

READ MORE HERE

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:49 am 

Quote:
On August 11, 2006, the day he turned himself in, Sgt. Clousing made a simple statement:

"We have found ourselves in a pivotal era where we have traded humanity for patriotism. Where we have traded our civil liberties for a sense of security. I stand here before you sharing the same idea as Henry David Thoreau: as a soldier, as an American, and as a human being, we mustn't lend ourselves to that same evil which we condemn."

The thoughts of a true hero!

We do have heroes in this age, they are just hidden by the windbags of media. You have to look for them, but they are there.

We owe so much to those who refuse to lose their humanity during these awful times.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid