It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SAY HELLO TO THE GOODBYE WEAPON
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Say Hello to the Goodbye Weapon

By David Hamling: Dec, 05, 2006

The crowd is getting ugly. Soldiers roll up in a Hummer. Suddenly, the whole right half of your body is screaming in agony. You feel like you've been dipped in molten lava. You almost faint from shock and pain, but instead you stumble backwards -- and then start running. To your surprise, everyone else is running too. In a few seconds, the street is completely empty.

You've just been hit with a new nonlethal weapon that has been certified for use in Iraq -- even though critics argue there may be unforeseen effects.

According to documents obtained for Wired News under federal sunshine laws, the Air Force's Active Denial System, or ADS, has been certified safe after lengthy tests by military scientists in the lab and in war games.

The ADS shoots a beam of millimeters waves, which are longer in wavelength than x-rays but shorter than microwaves -- 94 GHz (= 3 mm wavelength) compared to 2.45 GHz (= 12 cm wavelength) in a standard microwave oven.

The longer waves are thought to limit the effects of the radiation. If used properly, ADS will produce no lasting adverse affects, the military argues.

READ MORE HERE

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:39 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

I have mixed feelings on this weapon.

There are times when soldiers and law enforcement need to use nonlethal force, and I welcome giving them that option. However, I wonder about the long term effects and I hope that it is being more closely looked at by scientists.

Goodl find, Catherine!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:48 am 

will in chicago wrote:
I have mixed feelings on this weapon.

There are times when soldiers and law enforcement need to use nonlethal force, and I welcome giving them that option. However, I wonder about the long term effects and I hope that it is being more closely looked at by scientists.

Goodl find, Catherine!!

I agree with the gist of that statement, but worry about misuse of any so called 'nonlethal' weapon. We have had far too many people sprayed with pepper spray directly in the eyes, far too many tasered, far too many hit by 'bean bags' or 'wooden bullets' or 'rubber bullets'.

In the wrong hands, 'nonlethal force' IS lethal or at least very damaging often to innocent people.

To this government, the 'enemy' are people in the Peace Movement, environmentalists, anyone who is not in lock step with those at the top.

And the people at the top now seem to love to spread as much pain as possible.

So I worry about how these things will be used.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid