It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ESCALATION RESOLUTION COMPROMISE REACHED
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

[url=http://www.rawstory.com/showarticle.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Fthinkprogress.org%2F2007%2F01%2F31%2Fwarner-levin-iraq%2F]BREAKING: Levin And Warner Reach Compromise On Anti-Escalation Resolution
[/url]

Sens. Carl Levin (D-MI) and John Warner (R-VA) have reached agreement on a compromise bipartisan resolution opposing President Bush’s Iraq escalation policy. Levin and Warner had co-sponsored competing anti-escalation resolutions, both of which risked failing to garner enough votes to break a conservative filibuster.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:47 am 

I'm glad they've compromised. Did you see this line?
Quote:
Conservative leaders “had hoped to divide Senate opinion largely along party lines, to allow Bush to argue that any outright statement opposing his plan was politically motivated partisanship,” the Washington Post reported today.

How messed up is that? Its like no matter what, everything has to be about what party you belong to. What about the fact that we just don't want this war? I think that any person with at least three brain cells sees that the majority of the country DOES NOT want this war, no matter how Bush tries to sugar coat it. (Did you hear Bush called Cheney AN OPTIMIST??)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good grief, calling Cheney an OPTIMIST is like calling Mother Teresa a liar. Cheney is optomistic only about his own profits that are coming from this war because that's all the man cares about. He just makes "robust" noises otherwise that are specifically designed to keep the sheeple in a low grade state of fear.

"Conservative leaders" might not be alluding to just those within the halls of Congress. That probably includes people like Pat Robertson and the Extreme Christianists, Fox Noise, Henry Kissenger, and anyone connected to Cheney via Halliburton and the so-called "contractors."

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:10 pm 

Here's an exerpt from the NPR interview. What planet does Bush live on? Seriously, I have never known someone so disconnected from reality.

Quote:
MR. WILLIAMS: Well, another question about Vice President Cheney – he said last week that – here I'm quoting – "we've encountered enormous successes and we continue to have enormous successes in Iraq." Two weeks ago you said, quote, "there hadn't been enough success in Iraq." So it sounds like there's a conflicting message there.

PRESIDENT BUSH: Oh, I don't think so. I think that the vice president is a person reflecting a half-glass-full mentality, and that is he's been able to look at – as have I, and I hope other Americans have – the fact that the tyrant was removed, 12 million people voted, there is an Iraqi constitution in place that is a model for – and unique for the Middle East.

I will tell you, 2005 was a great year for freedom, and then the enemy took a good look and said, what do we need to do to stop the advance of freedom, and 2006 was a tough year. And I have said that the progress is not good enough. In other words, people have asked me about whether or not I approve of the situation in Iraq and my answer is no. We can do better, but it's going to require an Iraqi government that does several things. One is provide security for its people, and therefore it's in our interest to train with them, to embed with them, and to fight alongside them for a period of time until Baghdad is secure. Two, they've got to reconcile.

In other words, they've got to make it clear to the 12 million people that made a conscious decision to vote and say, we want a unity government, to reach out to disparate elements. They've got to make sure that oil revenue, for example, is available to all of the people and not just a faction that may happen to be in power. They've got to make sure that those who were involved with the Saddam government in the past, so long as they weren't killers or terrorists, have a chance, for example, to be reinstated as school teachers.

In other words, there's a lot of things politically that can happen, Juan, and – you know, I made a decision that – and, listen, I listen to a lot of folks here in Washington. I listen to the military people, I listen to people who are critical of the policy, I listen to Republicans, I listen to Democrats, and I listen carefully for which strategy would yield – would most likely yield success, and the one I picked is the one I believe will.

And I understand it's controversial and I understand people are skeptical, and I understand there's pessimism here. I also want your listeners to know that a lot of people here in Washington also understand that failure in Iraq would be a disaster for the Iraqi people and for the American people.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=7065633

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
I also want your listeners to know that a lot of people here in Washington also understand that failure in Iraq would be a disaster for the Iraqi people and for the American people

The biggest disaster for the Iraqi and American peoples has been George W. Bush. Unfortunately, Bush and a lot of Americans aren't capable of acknowledging that it's already happened.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman