It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MORE CONTRACTORS THAN TROOPS
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A SURGE'S WORTH: MORE CONTRACTORS THAN TROOPS IN IRAQ!

by By T. Christian Miller,

New U.S. data show how heavily the Bush administration has relied on corporations to carry out the occupation of the war-torn nation.

This group is now becoming known as the "COALITION OF THE BILLING!"

Continuing uncertainty over the numbers of armed contractors drew special criticism from military experts.

"We don't have control of all the coalition guns in Iraq. That's dangerous for our country," said William Nash, a retired Army general and reconstruction expert. The Pentagon "is hiring guns. You can rationalize it all you want, but that's obscene."

Quote:
The number of U.S.-paid private contractors in Iraq now exceeds that of American combat troops, newly released figures show, raising fresh questions about the privatization of the war effort and the government's capacity to carry out military and rebuilding campaigns.

More than 180,000 civilians — including Americans, foreigners and Iraqis — are working in Iraq under U.S. contracts, according to State and Defense department figures obtained by the Los Angeles Times.

Including the recent troop buildup, 160,000 soldiers and a few thousand civilian government employees are stationed in Iraq.

The total number of private contractors, far higher than previously reported, shows how heavily the Bush administration has relied on corporations to carry out the occupation of Iraq — a mission criticized as being undermanned.

"These numbers are big," said Peter Singer, a Brookings Institution scholar who has written on military contracting. "They illustrate better than anything that we went in without enough troops. This is not the coalition of the willing. It's the coalition of the billing."

The numbers include at least 21,000 Americans, 43,000 foreign contractors and about 118,000 Iraqis — all employed in Iraq by U.S. tax dollars, according to the most recent government data

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:25 pm 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

In the hypothetical case that Bush withdraw the military troops from Iraq, what would happen with these private military contractors? These 180000 are more than enough to keep the war going. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:33 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Quote:
The total number of private contractors

Private contractors+weapons=paid mercenarys able to act outside the laws without anyone knowing what is going on at all.

Of course, everything that has been going on is outside the law's.

The greatest deception they have perpetrated is that we need them. Our greatest mistake is that we believe them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:10 pm 
Lots to Say
Lots to Say

I watched 'No End in Sight' at the New York film forum yesterday. Though it did not address the illegality of the Iraq War, it was nevertheless a really good documentary. It addresses this very matter.

My girlfriend was so upset as well as most people that we encountered after the movie. I was not. It just confirmed everything I knew about this war- it was never intended to be won. It was all about war profiting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
it was never intended to be won. It was all about war profiting.

And that's why it'll never really end...unless some of the extreme religious zealots get their hands on real weapons of mass destruction and try to wipe out the other extreme religious zealots, saying to hell with the collateral damage in between. Then, it won't make any difference....nobody'll win..

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:08 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Quote:
And that's why it'll never really end...unless some of the extreme religious zealots get their hands on real weapons of mass destruction and try to wipe out the other extreme religious zealots, saying to hell with the collateral damage in between. Then, it won't make any difference....nobody'll win..

Interesting position we are in.

Those who desire to Control the world and are willing to destroy much of it in the process because the little people don't count. (The real leader's who are behind nearly all the worlds puppet governments)

Those who desire the destruction of much of the world because they falsely believe that through this their savior will come. (And whoever it is, is going to kick their stupid asses I hope.)

Those who have had enough of the suffering that has been brought about by the above two groups and are willing to destroy much of the world in order to remove the above two groups.

Have I missed any?

The greatest deception they have perpetrated is that we need them. Our greatest mistake is that we believe them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:59 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

JellyDance wrote:
It just confirmed everything I knew about this war- it was never intended to be won. It was all about war profiting.

Speaking of war profiting, how do you like this article I'm attaching.

I wonder, arming our next victims, or arming those who will be FORCED to take over (when we are finally forced out) because the entire region will become unstable.

You ever notice how predictable these people are? Same game, different people, newer toys. This has played out over and over again.

US to sell 20 billion dollars of arms to Saudis, Gulf states
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=070728060317.fm80644x&show_article=1&catnum=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:43 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Many of the contractors are paid mercenaries with outfits like Blackwater, while others do the sort of things that soldiers used to do -- such as cook.

I do not like the use of mercenaries in the least, or this outsourcing. Our government has been over -billed by companies like Haliburton, and the contractors are immune from prosecution. We have even seen cases of contractors and U.S. troops firing on each other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:29 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

From the article below:

“I think it’s extraordinarily dangerous when a nation begins to outsource its monopoly on the use of force and the use of violence in support of its foreign policy or national security objectives,” says veteran U.S . Diplomat Joe Wilson, who served as the last U.S. ambassador to Iraq before the 1991 Gulf War.

The Mercenary Revolution: Flush with Profits from the Iraq War, Military Contractors See a World of Business Opportunities
Quote:
Published on Monday, August 13, 2007 | by Jeremy Scahill

Originally published by The Indypendent newspaper

If you think the U.S. has only 160,000 troops in Iraq, think again.

With almost no congressional oversight and even less public awareness, the Bush administration has more than doubled the size of the U.S. occupation through the use of private war companies.

There are now almost 200,000 private “contractors” deployed in Iraq by Washington. This means that U.S. military forces in Iraq are now outsized by a coalition of billing corporations whose actions go largely unmonitored and whose crimes are virtually unpunished.

In essence, the Bush administration has created a shadow army that can be used to wage wars unpopular with the American public but extremely profitable for a few unaccountable private companies.

Since the launch of the “global war on terror,” the administration has systematically funneled billions of dollars in public money to corporations like Blackwater USA , DynCorp, Triple Canopy, Erinys and ArmorGroup. They have in turn used their lucrative government pay-outs to build up the infrastructure and reach of private armies so powerful that they rival or outgun some nation’s militaries.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:14 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

"One-fourth of humanity must be eliminated from the social body. We are in charge of God's selection process for planet earth. He selects, we destroy. We are the riders of the pale horse, Death."

spoken by--

Psychologist Barbara Marx Hubbard

Member and futurist/strategist of Task Force Delta; a United States Army think tank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:52 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

As Ward Churchill would say- "Little Eichmanns".

Aw, she looks so sweet~ Like Ilsa- She wolf of the SS.

This is the reality- not even 350-400,00 troops would be enough to win in Iraq- But it's certainly enough to keep them at bay! :|

Right where they want them!

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.