It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Irag Prime Minister says, leave "any time you want"
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:49 am 

Country can manage without U.S. Troops
By BUSHRA JUHI, Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD - Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said Saturday that the Iraqi army and police are capable of keeping security in the country when American troops leave "any time they want," though he acknowledged the forces need further weapons and training.

NOTE: Don't let "little poison ivy bush" hear this, as he will evoke executive privilege.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:48 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

And Bush and Cheney just say, "Shoo yeah!"

They won't leave until everything in the darn country has done dried up. :|

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:44 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

And preventing that eventuality from happening, possibly the Iraqi people themselves?

What Unites Iraqis: Blocking Western Petroleum Companies From Seizing Control of Their Oil
Quote:
by Joshua Holland | Global Research, August 22, 2007
Alternet.org - 2007-08-09

So while most oil-producing states are moving toward more state control of their energy sectors -- according to the Washington Post, "about 77 percent of the world's 1.1 trillion barrels in proven oil reserves is controlled by governments that significantly restrict access to international companies" -- Iraqi lawmakers are under enormous pressure to go in the opposite direction. (See here for a detailed critique of the framework law.)

It should come as no surprise that Iraqis overwhelmingly reject this arrangement. According to the poll of 2,200 Iraqis released this week, almost two-thirds of Iraqis said they would prefer "Iraq's oil to be developed and produced by Iraqi state-owned companies" over foreign companies. Less than a third favored foreign control -- less than the number who expressed a "strong preference" for the sector to remain under state control.

The findings cut across the divisions that have haunted the post-war occupation: 52 percent of Kurds, 62 percent of Sunni Arabs and 66 percent of Shia Arabs favored state control. Significant majorities in every metropolitan area and every region of the divided country agreed.

Opposition to the privatization scheme that U.S. lawmakers have pushed for with such zeal is reflected, too, in the Iraqi parliament, where a growing number of lawmakers have come out in opposition to the oil laws.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:38 am 

Right, we haven't grabbed their oil yet. How can we leave...

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:12 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Maliki wants Bush out.

Bush wants Maliki out:

Bush Administration's Own Report Doubts Maliki Gov't

Quote:
In Bush's Iraq-as-Vietnam speech that Monika blogged about early this morning (lots of interesting stuff in the comments section, btw), he said Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki is a "good man with a difficult job." He's half right, I suppose.

But why come out in favor of Maliki when you are about to undercut him? From the Times:

The administration is planning to make public today parts of a sober new report by American intelligence agencies expressing deep doubts that the government of the Iraqi prime minister, Nuri Kamal al-Maliki, can overcome sectarian differences. Government officials who have seen the report say it gives a bleak outlook on the chances Mr. Maliki can meet milestones intended to promote unity in Iraq.

You can read all about the miserable Maliki government here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

...and Warner says bring SOME troops home by Christmas! Who is going to win this game? Not the troops, that's for sure, because I think all of this is a political ploy to make it look like someone is trying to do something, when actually it's just another day at the war office:

Warner: Begin troop withdrawal by Christmas

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:54 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I love it. Maliki is getting attacked from all sides in the US, but he finds blame in Hilary Clinton.

Iraq's Maliki lashes out at Hillary Clinton
Quote:
Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:05 AM EDT162 | By Waleed Ibrahim

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Iraq's Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki lashed out on Sunday at U.S. Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton who had called for him to be replaced.

In a sign of increased tension between him and Washington, Maliki also criticized the U.S. military for killing civilians.

"There are American officials who consider Iraq as if it were one of their villages, for example Hillary Clinton and Carl Levin," Maliki told a news conference.

"This is severe interference in our domestic affairs. Carl Levin and Hillary Clinton are from the Democratic Party and they must demonstrate democracy," he said. "I ask them to come to their senses and to talk in a respectful way about Iraq."

Yeah, and Chuck Hagel and John Warner are from the republican party and they're finally demonstrating democracy. Or something. I mean they're getting off their asses.

I think Maliki ought to wake up. The dems have been sort of in opposition to Iraq, but now the repubs are joining in. He ought to be chiding the repubs for wanting to cut and run from that --

Beautiful disaster.