It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rumsfeld's Rules-Advice on government, business and life.
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:35 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

This was done Monday, January 29, 2001 12:01 a.m. EST , by one of the founders of PNAC. Notice it is just before 9/11 and gives an idea of the mindset that Rumsfeld had developed up to that point. Interjecting his present status and position as Defense secretary, see how many of his quotes and quips are ideals he has contradicted, adhered to and outright ignored or obfuscated for his purpose and intentions. An interesting analysis of a somewhat diseased mind.

Quote:
Many of these rules, reflections and quotations came from my role as chairman of the "transition team" for President Ford and my service as White House chief of staff. Others came from experiences as a U.S. naval aviator, a member of Congress, ambassador to the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, secretary of defense, presidential Middle East envoy, business executive, chairman of the U.S. Ballistic Missile Threat Commission, and other experiences.

These reflections and quotations have been gathered over the past 40 years. Credit is given where known. As the quotation has it, "If it's not true, it's still well founded."--Unknown

I'm going to pick out a few of my favorites.

Visit with your predecessors from previous administrations. They know the ropes and can help you see around some corners. Try to make original mistakes, rather than needlessly repeating theirs. Does Rummy give a fuck about what his predecessors think? How many original mistakes can one man make? What makes them Original? If Bush is the decider, is Rumsfeld the Repeater?

Don't begin to think you're the president. You're not. The Constitution provides for only one. Ah yes delusions of grandeur. If I only had a brain/heart/courage, I could be the Wizard!

Learn to say "I don't know." If used when appropriate, it will be often. I think we've heard that OFTEN enough, thanks.

Don't divide the world into "them" and "us." Avoid infatuation with or resentment of the press, the Congress, rivals, or opponents. Accept them as facts. They have their jobs and you have yours. Yeah right. Does he believe this or does he enact this? With this oligarchy of control, "Them & Us" is a given.

Don't blame the boss. He has enough problems. Yeah, you and him both!

Let your family, staff and friends know that you're still the same person, despite all the publicity and notoriety that accompanies your position. So what if you roast and eat a baby or two at the monthly sabbat. There's plenty of dead babys in Iraq to choose from. It's not like we eat American babys, do we?

Keep your sense of humor. As Gen. Joe Stillwell said, "The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind." Actually that is quite sensual when I come to think of it. He he- how embearassing of me. Rummy, thats a no no.

Be yourself. Follow your instincts. Success depends, at least in part, on the ability to "carry it off." Yes barefaced lying to the herd does require one not laughing oneself to death. It takes a straight face to "carry it off".

Be able to resign. It will improve your value to the president and do wonders for your performance. Make me! Lets see you "carry that one off".

Your performance depends on your people. Select the best, train them, and back them. When errors occur, give sharper guidance. If errors persist or if the fit feels wrong, help them move on. The country cannot afford amateur hour in the White House. No, and it can't afford comedy hour either, you bunch of clowns!

Think ahead. Don't let day-to-day operations drive out planning. Remember- PNAC is the bible, PNAC is the bible!

If in doubt, move decisions up to the president. Remember, he's the decider, I'm the repeater!

If the staff lacks policy guidance against which to test decisions, their decisions will be random. Focus on "PNAC is the bible" to the exclusion of all else. Yea Armageddon.

If a prospective presidential approach can't be explained clearly enough to be understood well, it probably hasn't been thought through well enough. If not well understood by the American people, it probably won't "sail" anyway. Send it back for further thought. Change it, rewrite it and make sure the damn lie fits better!

Look for what's missing. Many advisers can tell a president how to improve what's proposed or what's gone amiss. Few are able to see what isn't there. How can I tell Bush he's lost his brain?

It is very difficult to spend "federal (the taxpayers') dollars" so that the intended result is achieved. Thats why we have slush funds and secret covert operations, so they can't see where their money is going to.

Beware when any idea is promoted primarily because it is "bold, exciting, innovative and new." There are many ideas that are "bold, exciting, innovative and new," but also foolish. Self explanatory. Take Iraq for instance. Same Shit Different Distraction (SSDD). Foolishness.

Treat each federal dollar as if it was hard earned. It was--by a taxpayer. It was, and that makes it easier to use for our purpose and pay for Haliburtons war, while the private sector reaps in the profits from what the taxpayer pays to defend. A hard earned lesson for Joe Citizen to learn but never does.

"The winner is not always the swiftest, surest or smartest. It's the one willing to get up at 5 a.m. and go to the plant gate to meet the workers."--Unknown
Also the one who waves goodbye to the soldiers that leave to defend his right to not participate.

When someone with a rural accent says, "I don't know much about politics," zip up your pockets. He's trying to pull a "Deliverance" on you.

"The oil can is mightier than the sword."--former Sen. Everett Dirksen (R., Ill.) But there are times when the sword will help deliver the oil cans.

Arguments of convenience lack integrity and inevitably trip you up. It was Usama and WMD's I tell ya!

"There are only three responses to questions from the press: (1) 'I know and will tell you'; (2) 'I know and I can't tell you'; and (3) 'I don't know.' "--Dan Rather Glad he said it since I only think it as my mantra. I would never tell the media that, when I can blame it on someone else. Whew.

Manage the interaction between the Pentagon and the White House. Unless you establish a narrow channel for the flow of information and "tasking" back and forth, the process can quickly become chaotic. Remember, create bottlenecks. No wait, what did I say before?Don't be a bottleneck. If a matter is not a decision for the president or you, delegate it. Force responsibility down and out. Find problem areas, add structure, and delegate. The pressure is to do the reverse. Resist it. Delegate when it gets chaotic so that there is no way to trace it back to you. Cover your ass, like Dick and George do. Keep the bullshit fountain flowing at full speed. Cmon Don, Force it out. Unnnnnnnnhhhh.Plop.

When cutting staff at the Pentagon, don't eliminate the thin layer that assures civilian control. Never forget PNAC rule#1- The herd needs guidance and control.

"If you get the objectives right, a lieutenant can write the strategy."--Gen. George Marshall But if you want it totally wrong , put your trust in Rummy to do that.

When you initiate new activities, find things you are currently doing that you can discontinue--whether reports, activities, etc. It works, but you must force yourself to do it. Always keep in mind your "teeth-to-tail ratio." Nose to ass works well too! Teeth to tail implies that I eat shit, but really I'm just a brownnoser!

Develop a few key themes and stick to them. It works. Repetition is necessary. "Quality." "Customers." "Innovation." "Service." Whatever! Personally, I like the "Whatever" one best. Whatever, I don't know!

"First law of holes: If you get in one, stop digging."--Anonymous Unless of course you're a soldier trying to hide from death. Me? Sometimes I wish someone would just bury me in one when I really get digging myself into a hole.

"If it doesn't go easy, force it."--G.D. Rumsfeld's assessment of his son Don's operating principle at age 10 As sec. of defense. If Saddam doesn't go easy, then ARMED force it. Things haven't changed much over the years.

Simply because a problem is shown to exist doesn't necessarily follow that there is a solution. Gee, maybe George should hear this one, before we went into Iraq. I guess we should have listened to shimon- "If a problem has no solution, it may not be a problem, but a fact, not to be solved, but to be coped with over time."--Shimon Peres

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."--F. Scott Fitzgerald Like I told George- Lie and smile simultaneously while swearing it's the truth- Thats enough brain power usage for you.

"It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once."--David Hume Little by little does the trick.

There's just so many to choose, I don't know when to stop. What a walking contradiction this Rummy is. Oh those neo-con artists.

Find any?

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.