It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hillary re-finding religion?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:43 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

This article talks about Hillary Clinton's faith and how prayer is important to her.

To this point, I've never really thought much about Hillary's religious views, but all of a sudden they say she's got them. I'm afraid of how disingenuous that will sound.

[url]Hillary's Prayer: Hillary Clinton's Religion and Politics[/url]
Quote:
News: For 15 years, Hillary Clinton has been part of a secretive religious group that seeks to bring Jesus back to Capitol Hill. Is she triangulating—or living her faith?

By Kathryn Joyce and Jeff Sharlet | September 1, 2007

It was an elegant example of the Clinton style, a rhetorical maneuver subtle, bold, and banal all at once. During a Democratic candidate forum in June, hosted by the liberal evangelical group Sojourners, Hillary Clinton fielded a softball query about Bill's infidelity: How had her faith gotten her through the Lewinsky scandal?

After a glancing shot at Republican "pharisees," Clinton explained that, of course, her "very serious" grounding in faith had helped her weather the affair. But she had also relied on the "extended faith family" that came to her aid, "people whom I knew who were literally praying for me in prayer chains, who were prayer warriors for me."

Such references to spiritual warfare—prayer as battle against Satan, evil, and sin—might seem like heavy evangelical rhetoric for the senator from New York, but they went over well with the Sojourners audience, as did her call to "inject faith into policy." It was language that recalled Clinton's Jesus moment a year earlier, when she'd summoned the Bible to decry a Republican anti-immigrant initiative that she said would "criminalize the good Samaritan...and even Jesus himself." Liberal Christians crowed ("Hillary Clinton Shows the Way Democrats Can Use the Bible," declared a blogger at TPMCafe) while conservative pundits cried foul, accusing Clinton of scoring points with a faith not really her own.

In fact, Clinton's God talk is more complicated—and more deeply rooted—than either fans or foes would have it, a revelation not just of her determination to out-Jesus the gop, but of the powerful religious strand in her own politics. Over the past year, we've interviewed dozens of Clinton's friends, mentors, and pastors about her faith, her politics, and how each shapes the other. And while media reports tend to characterize Clinton's subtle recalibration of tone and style as part of the Democrats' broader move to recapture the terrain of "moral values," those who know her say there's far more to it than that.

Out-Jesus the GOP? Is that possible?

And OMG, if this stuff is it true, does it speak volumes about her?
Quote:
Through all of her years in Washington, Clinton has been an active participant in conservative Bible study and prayer circles that are part of a secretive Capitol Hill group known as the Fellowship. Her collaborations with right-wingers such as Senator Sam Brownback (R-Kan.) and former Senator Rick Santorum (R-Pa.) grow in part from that connection.

How can one be a conservative christian and be pro-choice? That's what some conservative christians would like to know as well. But conservative christians aren't the aim of Clinton, but rather "... values voters who have grown estranged from the Christian right."

Quote:
Of course, no matter how much Clinton speaks of common ground, she doesn't stand a chance of winning votes among pro-lifers. As Tom McClusky of the Family Research Council, command central for Washington's Christian right, told us, movement conservatives consider legislation like Clinton's Putting Prevention First Act, which supports greater access to birth control and sex ed, "just another condom giveaway."

But the senator's project isn't the conversion of her adversaries; it's tempering their opposition so she can court a new generation of Clinton Republicans, values voters who have grown estranged from the Christian right.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject: Re: Hillary re-finding religion?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:03 am 

Channel Zero wrote:
How can one be a conservative christian and be pro-choice?

One answer might be this: The bible has not one single direct word about abortion. All the hype from the fundies is based on questionable interpretation and extrapolation of bible verses. The only oblique reference to killing in the womb is about stoning an adulteress who is caught by ending up pregnant; the bible says it is okay to kill both mother and child for the crime of adultery. So the thought is a Christian, conservative or liberal, relies on a critical personal reading of the bible instead of the interpretation of some preacher trying to twist the words of bible to their particular political agenda.

By the way, I believe Jesus was a bleeding heart liberal of the best kind.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:30 am 

I totally agree with your post APL.

And I really don't want more of other people's religions crammed down my throat--especially when it comes to my government.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:37 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Let us cut to the chase and dissolve the two parties. Those at the top simply chase the votes.

I'm pretty sure that I predicted that Hillary would choose to bang on the Christian drums during her campaign. Next there will be a photo op with Bill and the Pope?

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:27 pm 

Is she a Catholic Cubs fan or
Protestant Yankee fan this week?