It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ohio Officials at Odds Over Paper Ballot
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:05 am 

Ohio Officials at Odds Over Paper Ballot

Quote:
CINCINNATI - Ohio’s effort to clean up its voting system before the presidential primary on March 4 has pitted state election leaders against local officials over an order to provide a paper ballot to any voter who requests one. Secretary of State Jennifer L. Brunner, a Democrat, wants to eliminate touch-screen machines for the November election from the 53 counties that still use them and install optical scan machines to provide a paper trail.

Because the conversion cannot be completed in time for the primary in most counties, Ms. Brunner ordered the printing of paper ballots as an interim step.

“The paper ballots are not only going to provide a voter alternative for those who prefer not to use touch-screen machines, but they may also alleviate long lines,” Ms. Brunner said. “We expect a much higher than normal turnout in the primary.”

But some local officials contend the paper ballots are unnecessary and have gone to court to fight the requirement.

“We felt it was a waste of taxpayer money because we have confidence in our system,” said David Phillips, the county prosecutor in Union County, who estimated the paper ballot initiative would cost his county $68,000. He argued that state law put the choice of voting systems in the hands of county officials.
………

After the election fraud of 2004 in Ohio it is inconceivable that this is still an issue; but I guess if they admit to the problems now they would have to admit to the problems then. Cost always seem to be the refuge of the Repugs just as happy with the corrupt system.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:40 am 

I wonder how much the Diebold consultants cost the county during each election. I have a sneaking suspicion that they are quite costly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:25 am 

lefty wrote:
I wonder how much the Diebold consultants cost the county during each election. I have a sneaking suspicion that they are quite costly.

Actually my suspicion is that it is the reverse; how much do the country officials cost the Diebold consultants each election?

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote