It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tom Hanks’ Non-Endorsement
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tom Hanks’ Non-Endorsement

Tom Hanks has a preferred candidate, but what makes his endorsement interesting is not the person he chooses, but how he frames that choice. This video, which appeared on the actor’s MySpace page, seems as much a comment on the celebrity endorsement as it is an endorsement by a celebrity.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:15 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Sound doesn't work for me. Who is he for?

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:15 pm 

Obama. But the point was sort of, "don't chose someone because I do, chose someone you believe in yourself"...or something similar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:28 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

As long as he isn't for McSame who has already promised more of the....same.

He doesn't look comfortable doing his endorsement.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, Hanks isn't for McSame.

Here's a synopsis of what he said:

Quote:
I'm Tom Hanks," Tom Hanks says directly into the camera in what looks like someone's den, "And I want Barack Obama to be the next president of our country. As an official celebrity, I know my endorsement has just made your mind up for you."

He continues in a straightfaced, tongue-in-cheek manner to seriously endorse the freshman senator. Hanks acknowledges all the candidates -- and some of their relatives, associates and supporters -- have made gaffes in recent weeks.

But he says he reads history sometimes and cites the groundbreaking peaceful turnover of power in 1797 from George Washington to John Adams as a major turning point in history. And says the same sort of corner can be turned by the election of the country's first African American president, a member of a race once officially considered only three-fifths of a person here.

He especially praises Obama's character and vision, integrity and ability to unify the country. Hanks' endorsement is a breath of good news for Obama after a few difficult weeks involving the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, who Obama says is wrong.

Quote:
McCain's got Sylvester Stallone and that's it.

Hillary Clinton lined up Jack Nicholson too. And Obama has also been endorsed by Jane Fonda but that hasn't shown up on many billboards yet.

"I'm Tom Hanks," the actor/director/producer says at the end of his video, "I wrote and approved this message, and I am now going to turn off the camera." He gets up, walks around out of sight and the camera goes off.

From the LA TIMES BLOGS

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:22 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Stallone has a history of tragically flawed decisions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Finally, John Edwards makes his public endorsement of Obama...

Edwards endorses Obama

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich., May 14 - Former Democratic U.S. presidential candidate John Edwards endorsed Barack Obama's White House bid on Wednesday, a campaign spokeswoman said, giving a big boost to the Illinois senator in his effort to rally the party around his candidacy.

Edwards, the 2004 vice presidential nominee, dropped out of the Democratic race in January and was heavily courted by both Obama and rival Hillary Clinton in the past few months. He made the endorsement at a Grand Rapids rally Wednesday evening.

"I am fired up!" were Obama's first words to the raucous crowd, who cheered wildly when the Illinois senator introduced his "special guest," Edwards. The former North Carolina senator took time before endorsing Obama to kindly acknowledge Sen. Clinton's efforts.

The endorsement comes the day after Clinton defeated Obama by more than 2-to-1 in West Virginia. The loss highlighted Obama's work to win over the "Hillary Democrats" — white, working-class voters who also supported Edwards in large numbers before he exited the race

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman