It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

[url=http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/20080916_palin_keeps_lying_and_lying_and/?ln]Palin Keeps Lying, and Lying, and …
[/url]

By Eugene Robinson

What kind of person tells a self-aggrandizing lie, gets called on it, admits publicly that the truth is not at all what she originally claimed—and then goes out and starts telling the original lie again without changing a word?

Sarah Palin is beginning to seem like quite an unusual woman, and I’m not talking about her love of guns and “snow machines,” her faith, her family or any of the presumably non-elite attributes that we in the “elite media” are accused of savaging. Wrongly accused, I should add; reporters are doing nothing more sinister than trying to find out who she is, how she thinks and what she has done in office.

One deeply troubling thing we’re learning about Palin is that, as far as she’s concerned, unambiguous fact doesn’t appear to rise even to the level of inconvenience.

I’m sorry, but to explain my point I have to make another visit—my last, I hope—to the never-built, $398-million “Bridge to Nowhere” that was to join the town of Ketchikan, Alaska, with its airport on the other side of the Tongass Narrows.

You’ll recall that in her Republican convention speech, Palin burnished her budget-hawk credentials by claiming she had said “thanks but no thanks” to a congressional earmark that would have paid most of the cost. A quick check of the public record showed that Palin supported the bridge when she was running for governor, continued to support it once she took office and dropped her backing only after the project—by then widely ridiculed as an example of pork-barrel spending—was effectively dead on Capitol Hill.

In her interview with ABC’s Charles Gibson, Palin ’fessed up. It was “not inappropriate” for a mayor or a governor to work with members of Congress to obtain federal money for infrastructure projects, she argued. “What I supported,” she said, “was a link between a community and its airport.”

Case closed. Except that on Saturday, days after the interview, Palin said this to a crowd in Nevada: “I told Congress thanks but no thanks to that Bridge to Nowhere—that if our state wanted to build that bridge, we would build it ourselves.”

That’s not just a lie, but an acknowledged lie. What she actually told Congress was more like, “Gimme the money for the bridge”—and then later, after the whole thing had become an embarrassment, she didn’t object to using the money for other projects.

MORE OF PALIN'S LIES AT THE LINK.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Read about Palin's Popularity Plunge....hooray, but it may not last...she's got Rove somewhere working on a new scheme, I'm sure.

Palin favorability rating drops ten percent in three days

:lol: Now, Todd Palin, the husband of You Know Who, says that Alaskans are not Americans. Of course, he is a secessionist!

Todd Palin, The Former Secessionist, Suggests Alaskans Are Not Americans

Yuck...that's all I can stomach of the Palins...there are more stories at the Raw Story link if you're interested. :wink:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:15 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Okay, so Sarah claims she passed on that pork to nowhere -- only after taking a helping of it at some other point.

But those who pay attention to whose gorging on what, find that Palin's Alaska feeds on a steady diet of government pork. Geez, do you want some cheese with that, too?

Palin's Self-Reliant Image of Alaska Is Bogus

Quote:
By David Morris, AlterNet. Posted September 15, 2008.

Palin is trying to appeal to the self-reliant, anti-government voters while her state is the most dependent on government pork.

In her latest comment on the "Bridge to Nowhere" controversy, Sarah Palin appealed to the self-reliant, individualist, rugged, anti-government image most Americans have of Alaska. "If we wanted a bridge," she declared, "we would build it ourselves."

Actually, much of Alaska long ago lost the tradition of self-help. Palin might be campaigning on an anti-government, do-it-yourself platform, but her state is the most dependent on the federal government of all 50 states. Washington sends Alaska more money per capita than any other state. Alaskans receive back from the federal government almost $2 for every $1 they send to Washington. It's a sweet deal.

And when it comes to government pork, Alaska is king. As USA Today noted back in March, Palin's state ranks number one -- no other state is even close. In 2007 Alaska received some 2.5 times as much as runner-up Hawaii and 15 times more than the national average.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Disgusting...and Kartina and Ike victims are still waiting for substantial help. Tent cities are springing up all over due to homelessness, and the economic meltdown will result in more of the same.

THANKS, ALASKA. I used to think that Seward's Folly was a bad name given to a smart move made back in the 1860s...but not anymore. Seward's Folly has provided us with a VP candidate who, if she wins, will help send the USA back to Puritan days! :evil:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:39 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Given what Cat mentioned from "samefacts", you have to wonder about the political sophistication of her Alaskan supporters. As CNN recounts:
Quote:
"She inherited the city with no debt, and suddenly we have a lot of debt," she said. "I don't think that labels her as a true fiscal conservative."

In 1999, the Nature Conservancy was negotiating to sell the land to the city and Lundgren, but he says that although he signed a purchase agreement with the group, the city did not.

Lundgren purchased 325 acres from the Nature Conservancy, but the city filed a lawsuit claiming ownership of land it believed it owned. In 2002, a federal court sided with Lundgren, finding that the city had never signed the proper papers.

But by then, the 80-acre complex was under construction; Palin gave the go-ahead to begin while the issue was still in court. After Palin left office, the city sought to obtain the tract it needed for the sports complex through eminent domain, leading to another court battle.

"I'm curious as to why somebody in the previous administration didn't make sure that we had clear title before we started building, because certainly once we started building, we were over a barrel," Woodruff said.

Wasilla eventually agreed to pay Lundgren more than $800,000 for the land, along with Lundgren's legal fees and interest: another $700,000.

Lundgren said he offered to give the city a 20-acre parcel to avoid further lawsuits, but city officials turned him down.

"They said they needed more than 20 acres," he said. "They had additional plans to build a softball field."

Attorney Kenneth Jacobus, who represented the city, said he had no recollection of an acceptable offer from Lundgren.

The city originally paid $145,000 for part of the land. The rest of it was valued at about $21,000.

It ended up paying more than $1.5 million, not counting its own legal fees.

An issue like this in California would have sunk the political run of any candidate. But in Alaska, they must say, "OK, so she blew close to a few million? Well, at least she's an anti-abortion creationist. That makes her fiscally conservative in my book."

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.