It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: McCain's $5,000 Makeup: Will There Be Backlash?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

[url=http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/24/mccains-5000-makeup-will_n_128973.html]McCain's $5,000 Makeup: Will There Be Backlash?
[/url]

So, John McCain has reportedly paid more than $5,500 to Tifanie White, the makeup artist who works on "American Idol," for similar cosmetic services. It is yet another incident of a politician -- regardless of ideological stripe -- coughing up a lot of money for the sake of good looks.

Earlier this cycle, one may recall, former Sen. John Edwards was subjected to days of ridicule over the fact that he had made two separate payments of $400 for two haircuts. Leading the charge was the media -- keen on pointing out that a self-professed man of the people was spending the equivalent of a months rent, in some places, on personal grooming. The Associated Press ran a story that began: "Looking pretty is costing John Edwards' presidential campaign a lot of pennies."

But several high-ranking and prominent conservatives were also leveling the mockery. Rush Limbaugh asked whether the North Carolinian would be our nation's "first female President."

Mike Huckabee quipped that Democrats had the propensity to spend "more than John Edwards in a beauty shop."

The Republican National Committee put together a document calling Edwards a "pricey haircut enthusiast" and declaring that "the former North Carolina senator's populist drive has hit a series of troubling land mines" because of his two expenditures.

And Rep. Tom Tancredo (R-CO) went to New Hampshire and, in a dig at Edwards, got a $400 haircut of his own. The normal price was $17; the difference between the amounts was given to charity.

So now that McCain has spent 13 times as much on makeup as Edwards did on haircuts, will we be hearing from these folks again? Undoubtedly, no.

Republican officials have been caught ponying up big bucks for superficial items before -- Mitt Romney spent $300 on makeup during the primary -- and little has been made of it. And while McCain has taken lumps for the number of houses he owns (or for forgetting how many houses he owns), the fact remains that the media sees more contradiction when it is a populist politician making these types of payments. Pollster Mark Mellman's declaration in the wake of the Edwards haircut flap seems still valid today:

"Voters vote mainly on who the person is. He's trying to communicate a message about who he is, a person who does not forget where he comes from... The haircut issue is significant in that context; it cuts against the story."

ALSO, WHAT IS IT WITH MCCAIN'S LEFT EYE????????

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/2 ... 29119.html

MUST HAVE GOTTEN SOME OF THAT POWDERED MAKEUP IN IT OR HIS MASCARA IS RUNNING?

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:46 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Rules of the game.

Reps can't shag men and Dems can't go to expensive beauty shops.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:02 am 

Quote:
coughing up a lot of money for the sake of good looks.

He deserves his money back.

I kept looking at him through the debate and wondering how the camera managed to erase most of his face. It was creepy.

He paid to look like that?

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
I kept looking at him through the debate

So did I, dori, and I found him to be completely repulsive. If my television had been MUTED I would have still found him repulsive because of his body language and facial contortions. He was so disdainful of Obama and I apparently wasn't the only one feeling that way. Even Andrea Mitchell, one of NBC's worst Bushies, said McCain tried to "diminish" Obama and that it would probably not be something that would help McCain's campaign.

Fortunately, Obama showed him that while he could TRY to diminish him, he would not succeed.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:26 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Geez, $5K for a comb over? Now, that's vanity.

Should have spent the money on makeup to cover the liver spots.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.