It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: THE REAL PALIN QUESTION IS: WHY DID THIS NOT HAPPEN BEFORE?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

THE REAL PALIN QUESTION IS: WHY DID THIS NOT HAPPEN BEFORE

Quote:
Regarding Sarah Palin, Andrew Sullivan says:

The impulsive, unvetted selection of a total unknown, with no knowledge of or interest in the wider world, as a replacement president remains one of the most disturbing events in modern American history.... Until we figure out how this happened, we will not be able to prevent it from happening again.

But what's striking is that it's never happened before.

The hardcore supporters of one of our major political parties -- the dominant one for decades -- believe a first-rate education and comfort in sophisticated circles are (literally) Marks of the Beast. Until now, though, these people have only been able to vote for pretenders and underachievers: a guy who had an elite education but flamboyantly squandered it (Bush), a guy who preferred to talk in public about football and the nobility of cops but had intellectual pretensions (Nixon), an intellectual lightweight who secretly had some respect for smart people to whom he could delegate responsibility (Reagan). Republican voters have never had the chance to vote for someone whose entire political knowledge base consists of talk-radio and religious right know-nothingism, and who really thinks there's nothing more worth knowing.

But that's the kind of person they really wanted to vote for.

We like inexperience in our national leaders -- except for Nixon and Poppy Bush, every non-incumbent president elected in the past half-century has had a somewhat thin resume (and even Nixon and Bush Senior chose scarily underqualified VPs). But our long campaigns require every presidential candidate to be able to offer an informed-sounding opinion on China or Keynesianism. So thin-resumed presidential candidates have steeped themselves in national issues (Obama, Clinton) or at least crammed semi-convincingly (W). There didn't seem to be any other choice.

But Palinmania has made clear that a lot of Americans -- certainly a lot of Republicans don't want a knowledgeable national leader. They're happy to vote exclusively on cultural affiliations and shared resentments and sheer gumption. They always were -- we just didn't know it. All John McCain did by picking Palin was to give the people in his party what they've always really craved.

Surely, though, Palin would have to answer real questions in a 2012 presidential race ... right? I don't know. I don't think she could win the presidency with her industrial-strength word salad, but I think she could win the GOP nomination. I think we'll find out.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: THE REAL PALIN QUESTION IS: WHY DID THIS NOT HAPPEN BEFORE?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

...AND PALIN CONTINUES TO SPEAK STRANGELY! HERE ARE SOME EXCERPTS FROM CNN: :drunken: :bom: :alien:

http://thepage.time.com/transcript-of-p ... f-blitzer/

PALIN: It would be my honor to assist and support our new president and the new administration, yes. And I speak for other Republicans, other Republican governors also, they being willing also to, again, seize this opportunity that we have to progress this nation together, a united front.

Right now a big issue, should the U.S. government, the federal government bail out the Detroit -- the big three automakers?

PALIN: Oh, that is the discussion of the day. And there is going to come a point here where absolutely the federal government must play an appropriate role in shoring up some of these industries that are hurting and will ultimately hurt our entire economy and the world's economy if there aren't some better decisions being made.

But we also have to start shifting some debate here in our country and start talking about personal responsibility and responsibility of management in some of these corporations and companies so that from henceforth it's not assumed that the federal government is going to be bailing out everybody who is going to soon line up, Wolf, for more taxpayer assistance.

And I'm talking about personal responsibility too in terms of homeowners and in terms of folks who maybe have extended their own credit. Sure, predatory lenders are to blame in all of this also, but we have got to make sure, for instance, we're not talked into buying a $300,000 house, because really we know we can only afford a $100,000 house.

And we've got to start living those lessons that we try to teach our children in terms of not living beyond our means and extending our own personal credit to the point of not being able to pay our monthly bills and then expecting government to grow and be the answer.

BLITZER: So, sorry, I'm still waiting for the answer, should the government bail out the big three automakers?

BLITZER: Does that mean you want to come up with a new Sarah Palin initiative that you want to release right now.

PALIN: Gah! Nothing specific right now. Sitting here in these chairs that I'm going to be proposing but in working with these governors who again on the front lines are forced to and it's our privileged obligation to find solutions to the challenges facing our own states every day being held accountable, not being just one of many just casting votes or voting present every once in a while, we don't get away with that. We have to balance budgets and we're dealing with multibillion dollar budgets and tens of thousands of employees in our organizations.

That executive experience that every governor has and must have being put to good use now as we work together as governors to help reach out to Barack Obama's administration, being able to help him make good decisions based on the solutions that we already seek. For me specifically of course, energy independence that is doable here in this country, we have the domestic solutions because we have the domestic supply.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:14 pm 

Jesus, I read her quotes like 3 times each and kept feeling like I was misreading them or skipping words or something. Doesn't it just seem like she grabs a bunch of words out of a scrabble bag, or perhaps from a boggle board, and just randomly jams them together? I honestly cannot find anything coherent in that entire article.

Ya, that's definitely what we need. More morons in control.

I like that the first article points out how insane it is to want leaders that are basically as dumb, or dumber, than the average Joe the Plumber (sorry, I couldn't resist throwing him in here). Its like people are personally offended if you are smarter than they are. While I don't want to be stupid, and hopefully I am not, I am aware that there are people who exist that are smarter than me and that this fact is a GOOD THING. I am not ready, nor willing to let a near idiot be my doctor, let alone my president. But I guess there is some comfort in stupidity. Its bliss, from what I hear tell. :albino:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Sitting here in these chairs that I'm going to be proposing but in working with these governors who again on the front lines are forced to and it's our privileged obligation to find solutions to the challenges facing our own states every day being held accountable, not being just one of many just casting votes or voting present every once in a while, we don't get away with that

I would like to see Palin held accountable for her verbal vomit. During one of her many "interviews," she should be given this particular quote on a sheet of paper, asked to read it aloud verbatim, and then asked to translate.

Palinisms are going to make Bushisms pale by comparison.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:21 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Palin is not new in some sense. She seems like a different spin on the genre of dumb-and-in-denial-but-determined politicians.

GWB is at the top of that class. Michele Bachmann deserves honorable mention.

What makes Palin seem so unique is that we've never seen so much moxy from such a dumb politician. Her Harry Potter controversy helps to typify that. A HuffPo article says it best:

Quote:
The topic in this case isn't important but what it says about Palin's regard for facts and preparation is. Anyone with any sense would check before the interview if the Harry Potter books really came out after she was no longer mayor of Wasilla. What's funny and sad is how she thinks she outsmarted the media with this clever example. Mainly sad.

HP came out in 1998. Palin governed as mayor from 1996 to 2002.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Michele Bachmann deserves honorable mention.

I agree, Channel, about the Bachmann woman, but at least we didn't have to translate what she said! Her McCarthistic Mouthings were very clear, and revealed beyond any shadow of a doubt her EXTREME RIGHT-WING EXTREMISM. If she had been representing any other section of Minnesota, she probably wouldn't have won re-election.

With Palin, it's rather like lefty said...she just wires a bunch of prattle together and hopes everyone listening to her won't notice that she doesn't make sense most of the time. And unfortunately, those who continue to admire her are dumber than she is...which says a lot about her followers.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:54 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Palin has that one Bush trait down-pat -- keep repeating lies long enough and eventually people will believe them.

War in Iraq = safety against terrorism. War in Iraq = safety against terrorism. Palin has picked up that ball and has tried drivelling with it.

Mudslinging, too, has been going on with the GOP for a long time. Palin's VP acceptance performance, in one sense, was not original.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:11 pm 

Quote:
Michele Bachmann deserves honorable mention.

More like dishonorable mention. She should never be in a Hall of Fame, only a Hall of Infamy.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote