It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Master of the Palin Affect
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Master of the Palin Affect

Some folks at Truthdig seem to think we're in the beginnings of a civil war, one in which "cute and crazy" women seem to be the darlings of the war's leaders. You remember them, don't you? They used to be called the Grand Old Party. :lol: But even though we laugh at them and stand with our mouths open in astonishment at some of their wild and crazy antics, we must not underestimate the power of these new stupids. Americans elected a bad movie star to the presidency for two terms (and some of them still think he should have the next spot on Mt. Rushmore,) and they also gave W, one of the most intellectually limited politicians in modern times, a second term. If Dems don't vote in November, it's not going to be funny for the next two years. Obama can still veto...if he will....but we can't count on that happening, can we?

By Eugene Robinson

Not to spoil the fun, but Democrats shouldn’t take the Republican Party’s bitter internal warfare—and the inexperienced, flaky candidates who’ve emerged from the fray—as any kind of reassurance about November. Try as it might, the GOP probably can’t defeat itself. Not this year, anyway.

I don’t mean that the battle between the Republican Establishment and the take-no-prisoners tea party insurgency is inconsequential. When Christine O’Donnell, a tea party favorite, won the Senate primary in Delaware on Tuesday, my first reaction was that this one result almost guarantees that the Democratic Party’s majority in the Senate is safe.

On reflection, I think “almost guarantees” should be downgraded to something like “makes it likely.” And in moments of existential despair, I fear that she might actually win.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman