All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Republicans Delay Voting Rights Act
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:05 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Vote to renew Voting Rights law delayed

Georgia, Texas delegations want changes before renewal

Updated: 11:44 a.m. CT June 21, 2006
WASHINGTON - House Republican leaders on Wednesday postponed a vote on renewing the 1965 Voting Rights Act after GOP lawmakers complained it unfairly singles out nine Southern states for federal oversight.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13459859

I agree. Ohio should be included in the list to be singled out for federal oversight.

ImageImage

"I am committed to helping Ohio deliver its
electoral votes to the president next year."-
Diebold CEO Walden O'Dell Aug. 14, 2003

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm not surprised, shoe. Remember Bush's behavior last year when a black delegation met with him at the WH about this and the idiot didn't even know what the Voting Rights Act was?

Quote:
Bush tells CBC he's 'unfamiliar' with Voting Rights Act
By Roland S. Martin, BlackAmericaToday.com
January 27, 2005

President George W. Bush met with the Congressional Black Caucus Wednesday for the first time as a group in nearly four years, but what CBC members said stood out the most was the president's declaration that he was "unfamiliar" with the Voting Rights Act of 1965, one of the most significant pieces of legislation passed in the history of the United States.

At the conclusion of yesterday's 40-minute meeting, Bush - who attended along with Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice - was asked by Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. (D-2nd) whether he would support the re-authorization of a portion of the Voting Rights Act that must be approved every 25 years (It will come up for consideration next year).

"I don't know anything about the 1965 Voting Rights Act," Jackson recalled the president saying in an interview with the Chicago Defender.

He said that a hurried Bush went on to say that "when the legislation comes before me, I'll take a look at it, but I don't know about it to comment any more than that, but we will look at it when it comes to us."

"It was so unbelievable to me that as soon as I walked out, I got Frank (Watkins, Jackson's top legislative aide) on the telephone, put (Congresswomen) Maxine (Waters, D-Calif.) and Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas), so that I could confirm what he just said is what I heard," Jackson said.

Rep. Bobby Rush (D-1st) said he recalled the president saying he was "unfamiliar" with the Voting Rights Act.

"I was surprised and astounded," Rush told the Defender.

Rep. Danny Davis (D-7th) and Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) could not be reached for comment.

White House spokesman Allen Abney did not specifically address Bush's statement of being unfamiliar with the Voting Rights Act, but said that "there is a section of the Act that is up for re-authorization in 2006, and the president is firmly committed to protecting voting rights. He indicated today that he would be looking closely at the Act as it comes up for re-authorization and certainly take their concerns into consideration."

According to the description on the Department of Justice's website, the Voting Rights Act is "generally considered the most successful piece of civil rights legislation ever adopted by the United States Congress."
The bill guaranteed that African Americans and any other group would not be denied the right to vote, and put in place provisions to ensure that voting rights would not be trampled on by local and state officials.

Link: http://www.blackamericatoday.com/articl ... icleID=735

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:17 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Catherine wrote:
I'm not surprised, shoe. Remember Bush's behavior last year when a black delegation met with him at the WH about this and the idiot didn't even know what the Voting Rights Act was?

Catherine

I had forgotten about that. Of course Bush doesn't know anything about the Voting Rights Act. He could give a fuck. I 've never heard that rich white men have ever had a problem voting in Texas.

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:32 am 

Well, if it turns out that there is no longer a Voting Rights Act, the BFEE can't be arrested for violating it, can they?

You know, there could be some people who would consider peeling people off the registered voters list to be a violation of the Voting Rights Act. Do you think? Especially since the largest percentage of those people have been black, and the Act was written to make sure blacks would be allowed to vote.

Yup, if the Act dies, so does the right to enforce it. Of course, I am sure that never entered their heads, eh?