It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Calls for Political Donations...Gotten Any Yet?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Both political parties are really smokin' those telephones around the dinner hour each night, trying to get the little people to cough up some of their hard-earned funds to help their various candidates' campaigns.

I got a call last evening, and by the time the conversation ended, I think I'd convinced the volunteer that I wasn't stupid enough to send monies to the Dems right now when so far all they'd done was let Bush and Cheney wipe their nasty boots on their collective asses! I had a lot of fun giving him my current opinion of the whole bunch that were supposed to stop Bush in his tracks. There were some long silences, some "well, buts," and some "you're right," and "I know how you feel" coming from the poor volunteer who happened to ring my number. We ended finally by my telling him to call me in a few months. If things had changed, I'd be happy to donate, but not until I saw some real difference between the present Dems and the hateful Repubs.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:28 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

The dog & pony shows (MSM spin) for the public is where it gets expensive. In the end, we still end up with strings and puppets. Can't help but wonder why they even bother to do it? Then again, the current puppet just granted himself full dictorial powers ... should some "event" warrant dictorial powers. Isn't that how it goes? So, this is a good indication that the puppet masters intend to keep their king puppet. The "event" could be a "crash" of the economy. Is this a setup?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:00 am 
Hear Me Roar!

No calls yet. However, I think we need campaign finance reform to reduce the need to have candidates spend an inordinate amount of time raising funds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:55 am 

Yes, calls have been coming in. Funny isn't it--there is no way in the world I could give even if I were a true believer yet--and I think you did exactly the right thing Catherine.

When they hear often enough that we are not going along with their 'game', they may see things differently. But I also feel sorry for the person on the other end of the telephone line--that had nothing to do with what is going on. He/she is just doing a job to put food on the table.

But still, if they hear this enough, and write down the feelings of those of us who are fed up, maybe the people at the top will hear?

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
I think we need campaign finance reform to reduce the need to have candidates spend an inordinate amount of time raising funds.

Agreed...wholeheartedly.

Quote:
He/she is just doing a job to put food on the table.

This call was from a volunteer, donating his time to call people like us, dori. I asked him...he said he was a volunteer and I thanked him for being willing to do it.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:26 am 

I have volunteered in the past, but the calls that have come in here lately have been from 'telemarketing' type places. I am surprised you are getting calls from actual people in actual campaigns.

I love talking with actual people. They know what is going on, the people who call here haven't a clue. Thay are not any fun--on either side of the spectrum.

My gosh we have a long way to go to election day 2008...have they started lining up for 2012 yet? Wouldn't surprise me.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:39 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

The answer to this problem is very simple, total public financing of campaigns. It's already beginning to work in several states across the country.

http://www.publicampaign.org/

Link: Connecticut Passes Full Public Financing of Elections