It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: YouTube debate questions
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:16 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I think it was a neat idea to ask viewers to submit their videotaped questions through YouTube to ask the dems.

Now!

It's for the repubs to answer questions.

One of my top ones would be --

They say the Iraq war/occupation has cost 300 billion dollars. What part of overspending don't you understand?

And, I think they should be asked to define PNAC. And watch them deny it, or minimalize it. :roll:

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject: My own questions for the candidates.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:22 am 

Direct Link

Quote:
1.) Senator Obama, during the second Democratic debate you claimed that "there is no dispute" that Iran is developing nuclear weapons, even though a CIA draft report last November stated very clearly that there is no conclusive evidence of a nuclear weapons program in that country. You also said Iran had "admitted" to a weapons program, even though it has consistently denied such and insisted its nuclear program is for energy purposes. Given that you are running for the top executive office in the nation, and given that America has already been lied into one war over WMD that turned out to be non-existent, don't you think it's important that you get your facts straight? And when someone tries to correct you, as Representative Kucinich did that night, don't you think you ought to listen instead of brushing him off?

2.) Senators Clinton and Obama, you have both, with one notable exception, voted to fund the continuing occupation of Iraq in spite of your rhetoric of opposition. When the supplemental war funding bill came up, you both had to be shamed into voting against it by Senator Dodd, and even then you waited until the supplemental was assured of passing and you did so without any fanfare or pressure upon your Senate colleagues to vote 'no'. Why won't either of you show leadership on ending the occupation of Iraq, and why have you both voted to continue funding it?

3.) For all the candidates: What -- specifically -- do you intend to do to combat Global Warming? What do you intend to ask the American people to do as far as recycling, energy-efficiency, carpooling, public transportation, replanting forests, and other matters related to slowing the progressive warming of the climate are concerned?

4.) Again, for all the candidates: Except for Representative Kucinich and Mr. Edwards, no candidate has gone into detail about health care. What specifically do you intend to do as president to ensure affordable or universal health care for all Americans? Do NOT say we need it, that is simply a restatement of the obvious. I'm asking you what -- specifically -- you intend to do, if you are elected president, to see that all Americans have health care?

5.) For all candidates: On the subject of impeachment, polls show that nearly half of Americans want George W. Bush impeached while more than half want Dick Cheney impeached. Representative Kucinich's articles of impeachment have gained, as I type this, fourteen co-sponsors with more likely to sign on. Given the high support for impeachment, and given the high crimes, obstruction of justice and refusal to cooperate with Congressional investigations by the Bush regime, why is Kucinich the only presidential candidate willing to do his Constitutional duty to hold law-breaking executives accountable for their actions? Isn't justice for the American people and the Constitution -- not to mention a large and growing demand for it by the public -- more important than whatever risks you may perceive to your presidential ambitions by supporting impeachment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Excellent questions, from both of you.

I got a call yesterday from Barack Obama's campaign, asking me if I knew anything about him and that he was trying to take politics in a new, and different direction.

I listened, and then asked if Obama was going to continue to play ball with the Bush admin by showing little resistance to war funding and little resistance to Bush's war on the Constitution. There was some fumbling and stuttering, but my final comment was that when Obama and the rest of the Democratic candidates showed some spine by standing up Bush and Cheney, and to their colleagues who also had no spines, then I might send some monies their way...but not before.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:40 pm 

Catherine wrote:
Excellent questions, from both of you.

I got a call yesterday from Barack Obama's campaign, asking me if I knew anything about him and that he was trying to take politics in a new, and different direction.

I listened, and then asked if Obama was going to continue to play ball with the Bush admin by showing little resistance to war funding and little resistance to Bush's war on the Constitution. There was some fumbling and stuttering, but my final comment was that when Obama and the rest of the Democratic candidates showed some spine by standing up Bush and Cheney, and to their colleagues who also had no spines, then I might send some monies their way...but not before.

Ha! Don't you just love it when they stumble like that? I don't, actually, and mainly because I've done phone banking and getting hostile people isn't very fun. But sometimes it does help to put a campaign caller on the spot like that, because a lot of people who mean well hitch their wagons to the wrong guy and they need to be challenged.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Ha! Don't you just love it when they stumble like that? I don't, actually, and mainly because I've done phone banking and getting hostile people isn't very fun. But sometimes it does help to put a campaign caller on the spot like that, because a lot of people who mean well hitch their wagons to the wrong guy and they need to be challenged.

Actually, the first campaign caller (for the Democratic Party) I talked to a few months ago agreed with me! He said he'd definitely call me back when the issues I'd raised had been addressed because he felt the same way. He's not called back.

The Obama caller was a young woman, and I told her that I was impressed that she was willing to do such a thankless job, but that it was very important that she be ready and prepared for negative responses from people like me...honest, straightforward, Democrats...Americans in our fifties who are no longer willing to be "nice" or to sit still for what we see as an assault on our freedoms by an administration that is completely out of control. AND who had let it get out of control? CONGRESS.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:56 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

that "black enough" thing was just plain dumb.

Just like putting Hillary on the spot about being a "liberal", like it's a bad word. But her response about a "progressive" was week. She's a milk toast progressive, if anything.

A similar question for the repubs should be, "Are you a jesus freak?"

Seriously, I'd like to ask them about what a particular passage in the bible that goes to the heart of jesus and forgiveness and ask them to interpret it.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.