It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Romney Chickenhawks are All in the Family
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:43 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

File this story under the catagory: Things make you want to barf.

Romney: My sons aren't in military, but are serving nation by 'helping me get elected'

At an "Ask Mitt Anything" forum this morning in Bettendorf, Iowa, GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney was quizzed about whether any of his five sons are serving in the U.S. military.

USA TODAY's Susan Page, who was there, reports that this was his response:

"The good news is, we have a volunteer Army and that's the way we're going to keep it. My sons are adults. They've chosen not to serve in the military in active duty and I respect their decision in that regard. ... And one of the ways my sons are showing support for our nation is helping me get elected because they think I'd be a great president."

Romney then spoke about how his son Josh and his family are driving across Iowa in a recreational vehicle to help promote the campaign.

The questioner, 41-year-old Rachel Griffiths of Milan, Ill., told Susan later that she is not a Republican and is in fact a member of a "Progressive Action for the Common Good."

Asked if she was satisfied by Romney's answer, Griffiths said:

"Of course not. He told me the way his sons are showing support for the military of our nation is to buy a Winnebago and tour across Iowa and help him get elected."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:10 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Stewart: Romneys 'willing to give up all five of their boys for the Romney campaign'

On Wednesday's Daily Show, Comedy Central's Jon Stewart mocked the Republican presidential candidate's response.

"That they're willing to give up all five of their boys for the Romney campaign..." commented Stewart. "Who knows what kind of post-traumatic care these boys will need after the election? I guess the only good news is that if something happens to four of the boys ... the fifth will be allowed to go home and just do phone bank."

Later in the show, Stewart welcomed as his guest Sen. Joe Biden (D-DE) and asked him, "Are you willing to announce ... that you are willing to have your son leave the National Guard and come support America by working for Mitt Romney?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:11 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Don't you love the purpose the "all volunteer army" serves in keeping Romney's five strapping lads out of the Iraq shit? His sons ranging in ages of 27 to 36. All eligible by age.

Quote:
"My sons are all adults and they've made decisions about their careers and they've chosen not to serve in the military and active duty and I respect their decision in that regard."

I.e., they've got better things to do.

At least John McCain has a son in the military.

At Huckabee's son, the dog torturer, would seem to have been fit for a tenure with some of those nutty American torturers as well.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:54 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

True to chickenhawk form, Romeny is also the toughest talking warmonger here lately.

You know, I don't think I have ever heard an experienced combat soldier talk as nearly as tough as any chickenhawk.

I say that if you never served, you lose your right to talk tough during a campaign. At least Ron Paul was a Flight Surgeon who seen what happens during war.

Unlike Israel, where 70% of the politicos are generals whose nostrils flare at the smell of cordite.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:09 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Romney should talk like a warmonger if he can't be honest about how he feels about a timeline for withdrawal from Iraq.

In recent days, McCain has called-out Romney as supporting such. So reporters asked Romney about that. But Romney can't unequivocally say that he's a warmonger, as the HuffPo notes:

Caught On Tape: Romney Accuses McCain Of Lying, Then Balks

Quote:
January 27, 2008 03:04 PM | Sam Stein

Mitt Romney was caught on tape Sunday saying his GOP rival John McCain was "lying" about his position on the Iraq war, before quickly telling a reporter he regretted his words. The Arizona senator was merely "dishonest," Romney said.

Appearing on the campaign trail in Florida, Romney was asked about the criticism, launched by McCain, that he has a timeline for withdrawing troops from Iraq.

"I don't have one, never had," Romney said.

"He says you do," chimed a reporter.

"Well, he's lying," replied the former governor, with a slight laugh. Within a second his tune changed. "He's dishonest [inaudible]. He's being dishonest about that. That's not accurate."

"Are you calling him a liar?" the reporter asked.

"No I'm not. I'm saying he made a dishonest comment. I misspoke."

Have some balls, man! If whacko like Paul can advocate for withdrawal and get a bit of support, it can't hurt, Mr. Romney.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.