It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GORE BREAKS SILENCE ON MEDIA COVERAGE OF 2000 ELECTION
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gore breaks silence on media coverage of 2000 election

For the first time Al Gore talks about the effect the press had on him and on the 2000 presidential election, telling Vanity Fair contributing editor Evgenia Peretz that he doesn’t blame the media for his loss and that he accepts responsibility for not being able to communicate more clearly with the public, according to a release from the magazine to RAW STORY Tuesday

“Modern politics seems to require and reward some capacities that I don’t think I have in abundance … such as a tolerance for … spin rather than an honest discussion of substance. Apparently, it comes easily for some people, but not for me,” Gore says.

Peretz reports specifically on Gore’s coverage in The New York Times and in The Washington Post, each of which reported and/or referenced Gore’s supposed claims that he invented the Internet, that the two main characters in Love Story were based on him and Tipper, and that he discovered the toxic waste at Love Canal.

Asked about the debate coverage, Gore tells Peretz, “The sighs, the sighs, the sighs … Within 18 hours, they had turned perception around to where the entire story was about me sighing. And that’s scary. That’s scary.”

Peretz reports that the Gore family joked about the nonstop talk about which president you’d want to have a beer with, and Kristin, the Gore’s middle daughter, said, “Gee, I want the designated driver as my president.” But, according to Peretz, deep down they weren’t laughing.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:26 pm 

Quote:
Modern politics seems to require and reward some capacities that I don’t think I have in abundance … such as a tolerance for … spin rather than an honest discussion of substance. Apparently, it comes easily for some people, but not for me,” Gore says.

Oh, this is definately Gore. He is far too serious to want to spin. Too bad the American people can't follow the thinking or conversation of a thinking person.

Quote:
Peretz reports that the Gore family joked about the nonstop talk about which president you’d want to have a beer with, and Kristin, the Gore’s middle daughter, said, “Gee, I want the designated driver as my president.

Never thought of that. Good thing she has a good sense of humor. I think they all needed that after the 2000 election.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject: Gore and 2000
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:55 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

I'll never understand why Gore threw in the
towel so early.

Had he hung on a while longer - I'm sure
more people would have jumped on the
wagon and demanded a more accurate
count on the votes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:27 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

According to Jeffrey Toobin’s new book on the Supreme Court, Justice David Souter nearly resigned in the wake of Bush v. Gore, so distraught was he over the decision that effectively ended the Florida recount and installed George W. Bush as president.........

http://www.examiner.com/blogs/Yeas_and_ ... ush-v-Gore

Gore did not give up .
8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gore hung in a hell of a lot longer than John Kerry did. AND Gore didn't have the knowledge Kerry did about Bush.... Kerry KNEW he was a lying monster, while Gore probably GUESSED he was a lying monster, yet Kerry and Edwards gave up without a fight.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:45 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

The book also reveals that several of the justices had a spat in front of several Russian judges during an exchange program meeting after the vote.

One Russian criticized the nation for letting judges choose the president, Kaplan wrote.

" 'In our country,' a Russian justice said, bemused, 'we wouldn't let judges pick the president.' The justice added that he knew that, in various nations, judges were in the pocket of executive officials- -he just didn't know that was so in the United States," Kaplan writes.

Tempers flared and Justice Stephen Breyer said the decision was "the most outrageous, indefensible thing the court has ever done."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_q ... _n13924255

I can't seem to find it now, but I read a Newsweek article years ago about this meeting between the SCOTUS and the Russian Supreme Court. During that "spat", Breyer challenged Scalia, Rehnquist, and Thomas to defend their decision in front of the Russian justices. Breyer said his challenge was greeted by stony silence.

:evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:21 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Yo Cat !!!!!! No challenge because it didn't matter. So Kerry let them steal Ohio just as they stole Florida.

TuT :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:48 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

It's hard to remember all the sleazy tricks the news media pulled on Al Gore in 1999 and 2000. Here are a few:

INVENTING INVENTED THE INTERNET!

SPINNING WOLF (PART 1)! The press discovered Wolf in plain sight—then delivered a smut-laden trashing:

Weeks before the Wolf flap began, boots-and-suits made a strange earth tones prequel:

Duffy’s report made a fleeting remark. And the pundits were soon spinning alpha:

The Globe’s problem was easy as 2 + 5. So why in the world was it published?

Gore fibbed about where he went to school, the Globe said. But the evidence says something quite different.

This is only the barest tip of the gigantic MSM iceburg which acted as the RNC propaganda organ and torpedoed Al Gore's presidential campaign.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I saw a bit of SCOTUS data today in a political magazine at the college. Sorry I don't have the name of it right now...but, according to the statistical report, Justice Thomas has spoken less than 150 words during a recent discussion while Justice Roberts has spoken over 14,000!

Thomas is the token black on the SCOTUS...nothing more, nothing less.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:22 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Perhaps Thomas realizes the others are all bought and paid for and therefore any input would be a waste of energy. Just reading between the lines, you know me.

TuT 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:04 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

TUTUTKAMEN wrote:
Perhaps Thomas realizes the others are all bought and paid for and therefore any input would be a waste of energy. Just reading between the lines, you know me.

TuT 8)

Wow! That is really going out on a limb to give Thomas credit.

Clarence Thomas lost any small amount of credibility he may have claimed when he voted against the very same Affirmative Action which helped him to become a lawyer in the first place.

Thomas is a hypocritical scumbag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Thomas is a hypocritical scumbag

Professor Anita Hill did all she could to block his appointment to the SCOTUS, but unfortunately, she wasn't successful. Now we're stuck with him until he either dies, retires, or resigns.

BUT, it wasn't all bad:

Quote:
In the end, the Anita Hill-Clarence Thomas controversy acted as a flash point that illuminated many of the central tensions of life in late twentieth-century America. Justice Thomas's nomination to replace Justice Marshall prompted new retrospection on the accomplishments of the modern Civil Rights movement and sparked more debate about Affirmative Action policies. Anita Hill's accusations heightened public awareness of sexual harassment in the workplace and women's unequal representation in the political sphere. The media frenzy surrounding the event marked a new trend of obsessive and often tabloid-style coverage that has only worsened through subsequent news events such as the O.J. Simpson murder trial and the Monica Lewinsky-Bill Clinton sex scandal. Historians will always turn to the Anita Hill-Clarence Thomas controversy to understand race relations, gender politics, and media influences in America at the brink of the twenty-first century.

http://chnm.gmu.edu/courses/122/hill/hilloutline2.htm

Sorry...don't mean to get too far off topic! 8)

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman